Author Topic: Final Fantasy 16 (survey)

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 16 (survey)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 05:31:36 PM »
I'm probably in the minority but I don't really like Yoshida's designs (similarly, I don't like Amano's designs) and really prefer the FF artwork done by Tetsuya Nomura.  My dream would be if Kimihiko Fujisaka (who did the designs for NieR, Drakengard and The Last Story) would do character designs.

I'm also probably in the minority because I really liked XV, but I'd be happy if we got another modern-era game, but one with a battle system more reminiscent of X, and characters with their own unique sets of abilities instead of something like the job system.

I hate multiplayer RPGs, so I really hope they're done with that for a while.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »
Honestly, to agree with Aeolus, once you start bouncing around the art direction and music and everything else to whatever team you feel like, what's left to identify it as a Final Fantasy game other than a couple of references/staples?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »
It's the Locke's Sock paradox. 

Locke's Socks
John Locke proposed a scenario regarding a favorite sock that develops a hole. He questioned whether the sock would still be the same after a patch was applied to the hole. If yes, then, would it still be the same sock after a second patch was applied? Indeed, would it still be the same sock many years later, even after all of the material of the original sock has been replaced with patches?

And the same could be said about bands who have often replaced members to the point where there might only be one original member or no original members at all. 

And then there's the whole analogy of Saturday Night Live that replaces its cast every so often.  Every generation has its favorite SNL cast. 

We could also talk about other popular "things" that are deviating greatly from what they once were.  Many old school Star Wars fans are up in arms over The Last Jedi because it blatantly shouted "This ain't your daddy's Star Wars any more!"

EDIT: And my take on Locke's Sock is that while it isn't the same sock that it originally was (since none of the original material exists), it's still "my" sock.  I still have the memories of all the patches I put on it.  It will always be my favorite sock. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:08:40 PM by Dincrest »
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
Ever17 explored that concept in interesting ways.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
Ever17 explored that concept in interesting ways.

999 (9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors) also does.  In fact, someone in that game literally tells another character about the Locke's Sock phenomenon.  (And it's not lost on me that 999 and Ever17 share some staff.)

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 10:42:57 AM »
I'd like to see another single-player traditional (read: medieval type) fantasy installment with knights, castles, and flowing robes.  And like MonCapitan, I'd like to see realistically proportioned characters rather than chibis. 

I tend to prefer games that are more character/story driven (I'm not big into dungeon crawls) and don't have overly complicated or arbitrary-feeling gameplay elements (the License Board in FF12 felt totally tacked on.)

Speaking of characters, I'd prefer to see a character designer other than Tetsuya Nomura or Yoshitaka Amano.  No pretty boys with belt and zipper fetishes.  No characters who look like they're deathly ill from malnutrition, drug overdoses, or both.  Someone different to inject a fresh vibrancy into the art. 

I'd like to see a return of that happy medium between corridor linear and total open world- that traditional RPG type world with an overworld, towns, and dungeons. 

I'm a turn-based traditionalist and think that FFX had the absolute best battle system in the entire series and am surprised it wasn't used again. 

Another element I'm surprised hasn't really been used much was the ATEs from FF9.  Similar to Star Ocean's Private Actions, I loved how triggering those would show insight into what the others in the party were doing around town.  Because realistically, they would scatter and do stuff and not just follow the leader like sheep.  One of my favorite scenes in FF9 was when Zidane goes into an armor shop and comments "What a cheesy suit of armor.  Who would buy this crap?"  Then later on in an ATE, Steiner goes into that same shop and comments on what a fine suit of armor it is. 

My biggest problem with modern JRPGs is that the menu interfaces look stylish but are not ergonomically functional.  Menu navigation is more convoluted than need be and fonts are always minuscule.  Why is there never an option to increase the font sizes in menus and dialogue boxes?  Give me clean, simple menu layouts and large legible fonts. 

And to +1 MonCapitan again, no microtransactions.  I miss the good ol' days when I usually got the full game right out of the box.

You summed up everything I came here to write.

And I still maintain there hasn't been a good FF game since FF X.

FF 13 was the closest. It had a great battle system but the story was just kind of meh.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »
FF13 also had an incredible soundtrack; possibly one of the best in the series.  Between that and perhaps the best pieces in FFX's soundtrack, Masashi Hamauzu's contributions to FF music have been wonderful.

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 11:38:42 PM »
i want it to ACTUALLY be a new finished game. 15 was unfinished and rushed , i also want it to be a stand alone game not like part 2-3 etc, Or a million downloads after .

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
i want it to ACTUALLY be a new finished game. 15 was unfinished and rushed , i also want it to be a stand alone game not like part 2-3 etc, Or a million downloads after .

Never going to happen.  Every mainline FF from now until forever will have DLC, sequels, supplemental games/chapters, etc etc.  It's the new normal, may as well accept it.  A lot of the time the supplemental content is fantastic, so it's not inherently bad.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
Not necessarily.  I just finished Ni No Kuni II and it feels like a complete game regardless of the fact that there's DLC coming.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 09:59:37 AM »
True, but he specifically said he didn't want XVI to have any sequels or follow-ups, which is definitely not going to happen. It could still feel complete on its own, but it will have supplemental material.

The Legendary Zoltan

• Narcissistic Legend
    • View Profile
    • Turn Based Memories
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 02:00:50 AM »
Magnum Opus (FF6)

How can Magnum Opus be a category and not automatically win? Hahaaaa!
Click HERE for the ONLY JRPG podcast that has an original format.

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »
I feel it also needs more then 1 summon to be a final fantasy. was very funny how ff 15 only had ramuh that was it lol.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
I feel it also needs more then 1 summon to be a final fantasy. was very funny how ff 15 only had ramuh that was it lol.
Um....you had shiva and titan as well. Supposedly leviathan too but I never got her to appear.

TASTY!