Author Topic: Things you can't bear in a JRPG

Greganox

• View Profile
Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2018, 11:11:34 PM »
My number one is definitely inconvenient saving. Sometimes you can go long stretches without a save point and its disappointing to experience a game over. I love the Dragon Quest series but it has this issue too barring lack of game overs. You often have to crawl through a lot of text before your save is actually finalized.

characters who leave your party. It can't be helped that some characters will have bad availability but I really don't like it when one character will disappear constantly. One big reason Dragon Quest 8 is one of my favourite rpgs is that aside from one portion of the game where a character leaves you get to concentrate on the four characters(referring to Ps2 version here) for most of the game.

Forced solo battles. These are really a mixed bag. Depends how good the character is as well as if you're using them or not. Just like my middle post I like being able to pick and choose my cast.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 09:37:50 AM »
characters who leave your party. It can't be helped that some characters will have bad availability but I really don't like it when one character will disappear constantly.

Forced solo battles. These are really a mixed bag. Depends how good the character is as well as if you're using them or not. Just like my middle post I like being able to pick and choose my cast.

Party-building is one of the most fun aspects to any RPG, so games that don't have it tend to rank lower in my book.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
^ I completely agree with you Arvis.

One more I'd like to add that could be applied to any type of rpgs not just ones from Japan is poor descriptions for skills and abilities. Sometimes you get a better understanding searching online which lets you realize how practical or bad such an ability is. The mold breaker ability in the Pokemon series is a good example of this as the short description doesn't leave much to imagination yet it is incredibly useful.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:29 PM »
random encounters when i'm lost in a dungeon.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »

Uuuuuuuugh.  Literally the only time I hate random encounters.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »

Uuuuuuuugh.  Literally the only time I hate random encounters.

Pack it in folks. We've found the one guy who can somehow tolerate random encounters while trying to solve dungeon puzzles or platform through them. :V
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
My only caveat with party members leaving is when they come back much later at the same level as when they left.  It's like, what, were you just loafing on your couch eating doughnuts during the entire time you were gone?  Why weren't you out doing stuff and maybe building some levels?  Next time you leave, come back with your levels close to mine, okay?  Or have a system like Suikoden where if you take a level 20 lowbie with a bunch of level 39 characters, the lowbie will reach level 41 around the same time as the others. 

In Tales of Symphonia, it helped that everyone's levels stayed pretty consistent regardless of participation, because I didn't use Sheena very often but she was a required party member for several boss battles. 
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »
I think RPGs in general that have playable casts surpassing the number of allowable characters in combat should have some sort of incentive for using characters that would normally be neglected, like in the Shining Force GBA remake where characters reveal backstory about the game's world or themselves when you level them up. However, it can be hard in the series as a whole to level weaker characters if they do only 1 damage against enemies or die easily, which is why I also think grinding should be fun and easy, and proportional experience systems like Suikoden are in some respects preferable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:10:32 PM by Der Jermeister »

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Man This is gonna take a while...well here we go:

• Bad economy system combined with a worse healing (potions) system, basically it's when games make it really easy for you to become as rich as hell for doing something which isn't even that hard over and over, and with lots of money comes lots of potions, I hate the potion system of healing outside of battle, why do I have to open the menu after every battle just to do a clicking marathon that effects NOTHING, just heal my characters after every battle automatically, or at least don't give me the ability to buy 10 years worth of the damn potions to start with, otherwise it's just busy work that adds nothing other than another 10 hours to a 30 hour game.

• When a JRPG has no Secrets or Extra Dungeons or even Side Quests, I mean what the hell ? really ? you were too lazy to put in the basic effort even the oldest JRPGs in history did 20+ years ago ? even mario games have extra content after you finish the main story.

• When JRPGs give you 9 party members to choose from, but only let's you play with 3 or 4, which is fine, but then they force you to play some parts with party members that the game didn't even bother leveling up to where you are in the game, why ? if you are going to force us to play with party members we don't like then at least freaking have them share exp with my other party members, what kind of bullshit logic does it make to have go "oh shit this guy is still level 5 and am fighting level 30 enemies!".

• JRPGs where your normal "attack" is just..."attack", unless you're Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, I really see no reason where JRPGs should still follow this old and boring formula, you know what, scratch that, even FF and DQ should stop pulling this shit, let's face it people, pressing one button to just have your character run forward and then run back again is FREAKING BORING, look at games like Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Xenogears, the "Tales" series and many more JRPGs where they have you do more things then just...attack...what kind of talentless brain-dead fossil still has characters just use "attack" to do one thing ? even MMOs don't do that shit anymore for god sake. This part pisses me off the most, why give us cool special skills but then make it so have to use a shit ton of MP or whatever to use them, so most if not all players just end up only using them on bosses, why ? do you have no imagination ? can't you make two different sets of skills, ones for normal combat that you can use for free and ones that are meant for bosses and stuff ? would that blow up your mind ? I already gave you games that do it in a great way, the least you could do is to just copy them, you lazy stupid imagination-deprived pieces of talentless brain-dead shits JRPG makers.

• When every character has the same boring skill tree, why ? give me one good reason that when you are making a JRPG you thought "Hey I know, wouldn't be fun to have all the characters basically be the same character just with a different face ?" was a good idea...why ? whenever I see this I just start ripping me hair out and banging my head against the wall, you see it's one thing when the characters themselves are just generic soldiers like in Tactical JRPGs (FFT, Disgea), but when they have a personality and their own story, why do they still have the same set of skills ? hell even in FFT special characters actually had their own special class tree that you couldn't get with generic characters, so why in the burning hell do you give your freaking main characters the same skill tree and make them just essentially just copies of the same three classes you'll use every time. To Clarify, the Skill Tree am talking about here is like the one found in FF13, where it's meant only for battle where you gains attacks and stats just for battle, and NOT like the one found in Star Ocean 2 where it's a combination of lots of different battle skills, talents and crafting skills, and it's different from the actual special attacks that every character gets.

• Speaking of skills trees, can we please stop having STATS, as a skill you could unlock ?, I hate it when games puts this and not even try to disguise it as something else, they just put "STR+3" or "INT+1", why ? in what world do you think that spending skill points that the player worked hard to get, would be fun if he spends it on getting "HP+10" instead of unlocking a new skill or talent like "Earth shattering divine slash"...ok not that name but you get the idea, it just always blows my mind that stats we used to get free with every level in older games are now something we actually need to spend hours farming to get ? please...put some effort into making your game fun, you piece of.. game developers.

• Speaking of useless skills, can we stop it with the meaningless status effect skills ?, "Hey look I just gained the spell DEATH! but it doesn't work on bosses, and only like 10% of the time on normal monsters, which is weird because it works 100% of the time when they cast it on my FREAKING CHARACTERS!"....why ? why give us so many status effects skills that no one gives a shit about because they are useless and don't work when they should work ? you think am gonna use poison on a normal enemy I can kill in 3 normal hits ? or that I would cast confuse on it ? they are just useless skills that clutter up the screen when am actually trying to look for the skills I can use, so please unless those status effects can be used on bosses and big monsters don't bother giving them to my characters, I'd rather have another "STR+2" skill than a status effect.

• When JRPGs have no mini-games, why not ? they break up the grind and spice up the game, not to mention some are actually so good you spend half of the game on, but for god sake don't force us to play them for hours because it's the only way to get the ultimate weapon or attack, just sprinkle them here and there, have small ones that end in 1 or 2 minutes and some longer "Arcade like" ones that you can invest some times into with good rewards, that's it, is that so hard ? well apparently it freaking is because I don't see them anymore, yes again am looking at you FF13 and others, please game developers, stop spending years to perfect the boob jiggle and how spiky the hair is and work more on actual fun gameplay mechanics.

• Can we stop with the pointless choices ? the ones where it doesn't matter what you choose, who are you fooling ? even when I was 10 years old I didn't fall for that shit, I would always just sit their choosing "KILL THEM ALL" for hours over and over just because I was so angry that there was no actual choice, what kind of stupid logic do you need to have to think this is a good idea ? "YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE EITHER THE MOON OR THE SUN EMBLEM" hmmmm "Ok I choose the sun, what do I get now ?"...nothing...you get freaking nothing because both choices are the same because that's what passes for Role-playing in these god damn JRPGS! Just...just stop it, I can't even defend JRPGs when my friends start telling me how stupid they are for having things like this, I love JRPGs, I did for ages now and still do, but for god sake can we move forward a bit ? can we stop rehashing the same mechanics over and over again ?

• Can we actually have changing character models in JRPGs now ? I think we have the technology that lets me see the weapon and armor I bought in battle now, hell some games did that decades ago, why do we still have JRPGs where we can't see how the damn cool weapons and armor look in battle ? why do you have to keep looking at the same piece of clothing for 40+ hours ? this is 2018 people.

• JRPGs where you can't save anywhere you want, look...I get it, some JRPGs are made in such a way that they don't allow for that kind of thing, and others want you to commit to the decisions and choices you make, it makes sense, but am talking about the rest of them, why can we still not save anyway ? again I have to bring up FF13, why the hell could you only save at certain points ? it wouldn't have made one single difference if you could save any where you want, it just feels like the people who made it are some old fossils who are still clinging to the "original" way, which is of course stupid and makes no sense because saving anywhere wasn't something that was possible back then, so for please for the love of everything that is good, stop using this old worn out and pointless system where it's not needed, please JRPGs developers, learn from others and evolve and stop sitting in the same old playground you've been in for the last 30 years.

• Can we please stop having the same old emo teenager as the main character, pretty please with a cherry on top, how many times do we have to keep beating this old horse ? stop using anime writers for your games, they can barely do anime right anymore what makes you think they'll be great for JRPGs ? just stop and think that maybe not every teenage JRPG fan out there just maybe JUST MAYBE, doesn't wanna play as a freaking teenager, it's a damn fantasy game you god damn rapists of imagination, can we have some fantasy in it ? please ? can I role-play as someone cool or awesome ? someone that I don't wanna jam a fork in his eye every time he opens his feminine mouth to shout some crap about friendship and love ? please please please just stop writing stories about a kid trying to save the world when yesterday he was crying about how his childhood girlfriend kicked his for being late ? which of course, he still has no idea that she loves him, speaking of which....

• JRPGs where the love interest is the same teenage girl who is the key to universe and that is the last of a ancient race, with a personality so sweet she can't hurt a flower and is a healer in battle, can we stop this ? is that the extent of your imagination ? have you not actually been with women before ? have you at least not seen movies or series where the female love interest is actually an interesting character ? instead of the 2D cardboard goody two shoes you think JRPG fans will actually like ? is anyone who says "Hey how about we have the heroine be a cool character with deep and colorful personality" in a developers meeting is shot instantly and then dumb in a river with wights tied to his legs ? or you know what, here is something that'll blow your minds, Let's have a game without a love interest....ok for the 10% of you who didn't commit suicide just now, what am saying is we can still have a heroine and female members, but they just don't relate to the hero romantically, is that possible ? hell let's go even further, let's have them have their own love relations with someone who isn't the hero, I know this is gonna sound weird, but am sick of the hero getting all ladies, even the female villains fall in love with him, wtf!, speaking of annoying female characters...

• Annoying female characters aren't cute, THEY ARE ANNOYING!, you thought the emo main character was annoying ? well say hello to this ultrahigh pitched screaming idiot female character who has an extreme reaction for everything, oh yes, she comes with the best skills an annoying character can have like, making up the weirdest songs on the fly for basically anything, the ability to strike the appropriate "cute pose" to emphasis her reaction, and let's not forget her ability to ruin every serious scene in the game by going "The villain is a big dum dum"..."As always you have shed great insight into this conversation"...or one of her many catch phrases that will annoy you to no end, but you know what's even more annoying than all of this ? she's probably one of the best characters to have in battle.

Wow....I blacked out for about an hour, the moment I started thinking about things that annoyed me in JRPGs everything just went dark and my fingers started moving on their own, sorry if I came out too angry in this post, just some pent up anger, also I wanna say that there is still more stuff that I wanna write about, but I don't have the time really, really busy these days.

Edit: typos.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:01:00 AM by RPG-Man »
NPC: There's nothing wrong with drinking! And so what if my liver gives out? I always have a spare!

Nal: Uh...are you thinking about kidneys ?

NPC: Oh, yeah..Well, I guess I'm screwed. - Lunar: Silver Story

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
you think am gonna use poison on a normal enemy I can kill in 3 normal hits ?

I liked this one.  IDK if you've ever played any Trails games, but Trails of Cold Steel uses status effects really well.

Also, Japan and many other Asian countries are still absurdly sexist, so they have a hard time writing female characters that break trope.

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »

I liked this one.  IDK if you've ever played any Trails games, but Trails of Cold Steel uses status effects really well.

Also, Japan and many other Asian countries are still absurdly sexist, so they have a hard time writing female characters that break trope.

I haven't yet, I heard a lot of great things about the whole series, so am holding out to play them all in order, starting from Trails of Sky then Blue and finally to Steel.

I know there are 3 games even before that, but I'll come back for them when I have the time.
NPC: There's nothing wrong with drinking! And so what if my liver gives out? I always have a spare!

Nal: Uh...are you thinking about kidneys ?

NPC: Oh, yeah..Well, I guess I'm screwed. - Lunar: Silver Story

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »
I know there are 3 games even before that, but I'll come back for them when I have the time.

I feel very comfortable saying that you can just pretend those don't exist.  That's what I do.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 09:07:54 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention when I previously posted in this thread is clogged inventories. In some games your inventory can get clogged super fast and there's some stuff you really don't want to throw away. I ran into this problem a lot in Earthbound and the Golden Sun games. In the latter you really don't want to throw away the precious metals because you can use them to make awesome gear.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »

I haven't yet, I heard a lot of great things about the whole series, so am holding out to play them all in order, starting from Trails of Sky then Blue and finally to Steel.

Start with Cold Steel. If you don't like CS you won't like the others.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2018, 10:14:27 PM »
@RPG-Man not gonna lie....you sound more like action/adventure man with that list of things you don't like....

I mean...attack sets you off....really?

TASTY!