Limlight

• View Profile
Re: Things you can't bear in a JRPG
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2018, 12:42:06 AM »
the eng dub for shining force 3 sc.1

To this day it triggers me.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2018, 02:19:43 AM »
Can we change Aeolus's title to "party pooper" since he LITERALLY shits on everything we all love?

It sucks to get old and jaded.

Although having a Triumph the Insult Comic Dog as an AV would be amusing for about a month.

But I probably should replace my current Avatar with one based on the bottom right part of this image.

Don't you dare use that as grounds to slander the epic voicework of Symphony of the Night. I'll end you in the most jrpg of ways....a long grueling battle where I mostly cast aoe heals every round and have 1 person attack because jrpg bosses are surprisingly dull....

You might want to take another look at my current avatar and maybe try to note the theme I'm looking to go with here.

Also because I want to make a 'The "Luigi is dead" Stare' joke.

Because its either an avatar for comedy or for pics of old school JRPG females of not quite work unsafe nature.

But enough talk! Have at you!
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2018, 06:05:22 AM »
Since we brought up Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's voice acting and voice acting is something worth discussing in a JRPG pet peeves thread, let's have a little fun. 

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's voice acting:  Playstation original vs PSP redux (with Dracula X Chronicles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIQCrVUrZU

Which do you prefer?

For me,
Spoiler: show
original Alucard definitely had the superior voice to new Alucard and both had equivalent acting.  Both Richters were lousy, but old Richter was memorably cheesy.  Original Maria sounded too mature and new Maria sounded too "little girl."  Both Draculas were menacing, but I prefer new Dracula because he had more aristocratic smoothness along with the menace.

Partially because of nostalgia, I kinda prefer the old "so bad it's good" voice acting over the new voice acting which is merely competent.  Very plain vanilla and not at all memorable.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:14:34 AM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »
I would say the revised dialogue of the PSP version is a lot more natural sounding even if the performances aren't stand out in any way.  I do agree with your assessment that the dialogue for Dracula is markedly superior in the PSP version.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
Og Richter hands down. Those lines were truly epic and cheesey and amazing. No one cares about Alucard's voice because he just beat dat ass, but Richter and Dracula's conversation is easily my favorite voiced moment in a video game....it's also the only one I memorized...so that.

TASTY!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »
I can't disagree about grandia's story (the original) but damn did the battle system click with me, maybe i'm in the minority with this?
Yeah. I fucked up and didn't give Grandia's battle system its due. Granted the games often err on the easy side, but beyond that they're amazingly solid for their gameplay. But, yeah. You are definitely not alone in this. Its the main reason why the series is still even remembered today.

RE: Grandia 1 - Great battle system... SHIT exploration. Seriously, the camera is so damn close, I'm surprised it never hit any of the characters in the face. I gave up before finishing, it was so aggravating...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:31 AM »
I think Fairy Fencer F and Granstream Saga were the worst offenders in terms of cameras being panned way too close to the characters to the point where it hindered exploration. 

But whatever camera issues Grandia had were fixed in Grandia 2, which I thought had a fantastic camera.  Everything panned smoothly, particularly in battle.  By contrast, Skies of Arcadia had very herky-jerky cameras in battle which made me a little seasick.  Combine that with the strobe effects making my eyes (and by extension my brain) go a little funny, and Skies of Arcadia was a very uncomfortable game for me to play.  That's why Grandia 2 is my pick for #1 Dreamcast RPG, despite Skies of Arcadia being the objectively superior game.  I don't like when games cause me physical discomfort.  Another one that caused me physical discomfort was Paladin's Quest.  That game's color scheme gave me massive eyestrain.  I couldn't play it more than 5 minutes. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:56:09 AM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »
Playing through the second temple in Zelda 2 on a modern tv is an exercise in eye torture. The lime green bathhouse tileset was bad enough on a CRT, but on a flatscreen with a lower refresh rate causes everything to just blur together in a garish pea green smear.

But enough about emulation issues, Granstream Saga's excuse was in being devolved and released in the height of the "How do I even 3D?" era of 3D game design.

Another thing that annoys me are games that give out mostly monetary rewards where there's little to nothing to buy and no way to store the excess, especially in a game with a low wallet capacity. Imagine that I cleverly posted that Simpson's image of 'not accepting Scratchy Dollars' following this.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
Although not a pet peeve or anything remotely detestable, I sometimes question the logic of rewards given after optional super-boss battles. 

For example, defeating Ragu Ragla in Wild ARMs gives you the Sherriff's Star. It's not a bad prize prize as equipping it as an accessory negates all status effects.  However, do you really need it?  You already defeated the game's most powerful boss without it and the final boss will be a pushover in comparison. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:31:08 PM by Dincrest »
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »
@Dincrest Oh man you really brought back one of the most baffling shit in JRPGs, you work so hard and level up so much just to beat the hardest boss in the game, and what do you get ? the most powerful weapon in the game...cool...must be great since I have no freaking use for it now isn't it.

Or when they do shit like in Legend of Legaia, where in order to get the most powerful summon, Juggernaut,  all your characters need to be at level 99, to put this into perspective, you usually beat the game around level 45-50.

NPC: There's nothing wrong with drinking! And so what if my liver gives out? I always have a spare!

Nal: Uh...are you thinking about kidneys ?

NPC: Oh, yeah..Well, I guess I'm screwed. - Lunar: Silver Story

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »
Legaia had an interesting battle system, but its painfully slow overworld movement was unbearable to me.  I also found the boss fights pretty merciless.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:41:04 AM by Dincrest »
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »
Legaia had an interesting battle system, but its painfully slow overworld movement was unbearable to me.  I also found the boss fights pretty merciless.
Loved legend of legaia. Dope music, hot fighting system, Noa was (edited because 33 year old me can't say what 14 year old me thought),

TORRRRNNNNAAADDDOOOOO FFUUUURRRAAAAMMMMMMEEEEE!!

Edit: holy fuck, the wiki says she was 12....just bullshit on that....

Further edit: Vahn was 14?!?! Yo wtf....something's fishy there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:39:54 AM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »
New thing I can't bear in jrpgs. HOLY SHIT MAKE THE AGES APPROPRIATE!!!!!

TASTY!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
I think Legaia was one of the few instances where an "anime-thing" visually aged up the characters rather than vice versa.  Normally, characters are drawn to look way younger than they really are.   
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
I think Legaia was one of the few instances where an "anime-thing" visually aged up the characters rather than vice versa.  Normally, characters are drawn to look way younger than they really are.
It's bad in any case! All media needs to stop this shit! I mean for fucks sake, why do they make 30+ year olds play high school girls in movies and tv shows!?!? Just knock it off already!

TASTY!