Author Topic: Horizon Zero Dawn

PandoraWizard

• View Profile
Horizon Zero Dawn
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:05:01 PM »
I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time since its release and I'm surprised how good it is, and more importantly the game contains most of the RPG ingredients to be on par with other games like FF15, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc:

• Leveling up
  • Skill Tree
  • Weapon & Armor upgrading
  • Elemental Attributes
  • Voluntary quests
  • Dialogue selection
  • Ability to assist random tribes around the region in combat.
  • Open World
  • Towns with merchants

Some plot revelations, such as the 'Deep Secrets of the Earth' chapter, have a strong Xenogear-ish vibe.

I'm glad RPGFan give a 88% score to the game. It's one the rare games that keeps me hooked non-stop in almost a decade, at least that felt complete.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:16:25 PM by PandoraWizard »

Der Jermeister

• PikaBluth
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:39:47 PM »
The soundtrack felt somewhat phoned-in, as for me has been the case with most Western RPGs, but it was definitely my favorite title of the last year.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
The soundtrack felt somewhat phoned-in, as for me has been the case with most Western RPGs, but it was definitely my favorite title of the last year.

Speaking of last year, when the hell are we getting RPGFan's 2017's GotY? I want opinions to diss dammit.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:54:37 PM »

Speaking of last year, when the hell are we getting RPGFan's 2017's GotY? I want opinions to diss dammit.
Mad late, they voted Persona 5, everyone was upset.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 12:35:32 AM »

Mad late, they voted Persona 5, everyone was upset.

I am both surprised and unsurprised, in that it is unsurprising that they went with P5 because lol PersonaFan, but surprising that there's actual pushback because again lol PersonaFan.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 12:50:10 AM »
The pushback was because P5 won basically everything, even categories it really had to right to win...

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 05:38:00 AM »
We had this entire discussion and more on Discord about 2-3 weeks ago when they went up.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
We had this entire discussion and more on Discord about 2-3 weeks ago when they went up.

Well, excuuuuuuse me Princess! for not getting with the times and getting on Discord. And I've actually been checking the front page for it too. Yuck.

Being a smart ass aside, yeah, I see it now. Goddamn P5 was apparently the only game RPGFan played (though at least you guys on the staff let NieR:Automa win best story instead of also just handing it over to P5).

My thoughts on the year are, Breath of the Wild is the shakeup Zelda needed and Persona desperately needs, especially since its actually facing serious competition for once from Falcom's Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu. Retrogaming also got some love from Romancing SaGa 2 and the port of M&L 1 plus the remake of FE Gaiden. I would've loved to have given Horizon, Berseria or Ys VIII a shot, but I still haven't busted my PS4 out of its box yet because I'm still neck deep in the Switch. XBC2 still managed to be a good game in spite of itself, but could not honestly hope to win much since its mistakes were pretty fucking glaring. But that's about the size of my experiences for the year due to work being brutal torture and getting mired in Gatcha Hell.

Also you philistines didn't even acknowledge the Zwei games.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
The awards feature was released in 3 parts from January 23rd through 25th. They would’ve been on the sidebar for about a week following the 23rd.

And the discussion in Discord wasn’t terribly lengthy or even organized into its own channel. It was easy to miss. I saw the most discussion of the awards on the Facebook page. I don’t think anyone made a forum post about them, which is a little unusual.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »

Well, excuuuuuuse me Princess! for not getting with the times and getting on Discord. And I've actually been checking the front page for it too. Yuck.

Being a smart ass aside, yeah, I see it now. Goddamn P5 was apparently the only game RPGFan played (though at least you guys on the staff let NieR:Automa win best story instead of also just handing it over to P5).

My thoughts on the year are, Breath of the Wild is the shakeup Zelda needed and Persona desperately needs, especially since its actually facing serious competition for once from Falcom's Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu. Retrogaming also got some love from Romancing SaGa 2 and the port of M&L 1 plus the remake of FE Gaiden. I would've loved to have given Horizon, Berseria or Ys VIII a shot, but I still haven't busted my PS4 out of its box yet because I'm still neck deep in the Switch. XBC2 still managed to be a good game in spite of itself, but could not honestly hope to win much since its mistakes were pretty fucking glaring. But that's about the size of my experiences for the year due to work being brutal torture and getting mired in Gatcha Hell.

Also you philistines didn't even acknowledge the Zwei games.

I agree with the above, except I haven't gotten far in Cold Steel, Berseria was altight, and I doubt I'll hop on Xanadu given "my time x average reviews = NB".  Even about Xenoblade, there's a few faults it has that can't make me say it's my favorite (so it's still a tossup between 1 and X), but I AM thrilled the patches have fixed basically my major frustrations with the UI.

I haven'y played either Zwei yet, but I DID almost beat the first game like 10 years ago with the help of a spotty fan translation.  Does that earn gaming street cred?
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
I am both surprised and unsurprised, in that it is unsurprising that they went with P5 because lol PersonaFan, but surprising that there's actual pushback because again lol PersonaFan.

Pretty much my view, however...

Being a smart ass aside, yeah, I see it now. Goddamn P5 was apparently the only game RPGFan played

This is actually a big part of it: a lot of P5's biggest competition was missed by some portion of RPG Fan, whereas basically everyone played P5, so it naturally got a lot of votes.

A large portion of the pushback against P5 was it winning Best Music over Nier Automata, which I compared to Avengers Infinity War winning a hypothetical Best Picture over Schindler's List.  An inexcusable decision by both editors and fans alike.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »
A large portion of the pushback against P5 was it winning Best Music over Nier Automata, which I compared to Avengers Infinity War winning a hypothetical Best Picture over Schindler's List.  An inexcusable decision by both editors and fans alike.

Movies =/= Music =/= games, so your comparison is lost on me. However...I do want to say that I'd be fine with such a thing, if only because Marvel movies thus far have been genuine pieces of entertainment, whereas Schindler's List is not something I ever want to see again in my life time - Which is the point, perhaps, since it's depicting a historical event that most would agree should be remembered, but not repeated. Still, if I was giving out a film award, I'd give it to the one I'd happily pop into the Blu-Ray player on a lazy Sunday Afternoon, the one that proves to be endlessly entertaining.

But I guess I just don't understand the point of awards. The only reason I read the RPG Fan awards is simply due to the fact that I've interacted with a lot of the staff here, so I'm more keenly aware of everyone's tastes and histories with gaming. Everyone writes more candidly in the awards blurbs than in reviews, and so I got to read more about how each game resonated with them moreso than others. This year in particular, I didn't really play any new games with actual singleplayer campaigns, so I mostly wanted to experience by proxy all the things I missed out on.

So with that in mind, I didn't really care about the reader's choice stuff...I don't even know if that was a thing this year, in fact. I can just ask you guys if I need a recommendation, so voting numbers on a chart mean nothing to me.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
*cough*thisisahorizonzerodawntopicletskeepitinlineguys*cough*WHEEZE*personasux*cough*

TASTY!

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »

Movies =/= Music =/= games, so your comparison is lost on me. However...I do want to say that I'd be fine with such a thing, if only because Marvel movies thus far have been genuine pieces of entertainment, whereas Schindler's List is not something I ever want to see again in my life time - Which is the point, perhaps, since it's depicting a historical event that most would agree should be remembered, but not repeated. Still, if I was giving out a film award, I'd give it to the one I'd happily pop into the Blu-Ray player on a lazy Sunday Afternoon, the one that proves to be endlessly entertaining.

But I guess I just don't understand the point of awards. The only reason I read the RPG Fan awards is simply due to the fact that I've interacted with a lot of the staff here, so I'm more keenly aware of everyone's tastes and histories with gaming. Everyone writes more candidly in the awards blurbs than in reviews, and so I got to read more about how each game resonated with them moreso than others. This year in particular, I didn't really play any new games with actual singleplayer campaigns, so I mostly wanted to experience by proxy all the things I missed out on.

So with that in mind, I didn't really care about the reader's choice stuff...I don't even know if that was a thing this year, in fact. I can just ask you guys if I need a recommendation, so voting numbers on a chart mean nothing to me.

So you would rather give an award to something that would just be replaced by the next "big" Marvel summer movie next year, rather then a classic that will still be remembered probably after we are dead and gone?

edit: I don't quite agree with Arvis's analogy, but I get the sentiment.  I think its more like beating a Persona game on RPGFan  for a of the year category award is like trying to beat the New England Patriots at home during the playoffs. It can be done, but it is going to take a monumental effort.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:46:55 PM by Chronix112 »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
it is going to take a monumental effort.

There is no video game in the last 10 years whose soundtrack is as "monumental" as Nier Automata's.  That's the point.  To me this was similar to something like HORIZON ZERO DAWN (on topic) beating Persona 5 over on horizonzerodawn.com's GOTY Awards.  It was a sham.

There's "Great", and then there's "Once In A Lifetime", and it is always a shame when the latter is overlooked.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons