Author Topic: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 03:14:41 AM »
I'll probably repeat a lot of what I said in Discord, but whatever.

The continent actually having a name this time is a good sign for worldbuilding at least.

Aside from that some general thoughts on the story: Some people seem to be reacting negatively to the school life thing, but it seems more military academy than high school bullshittery. I'm sure there will be some cliche high school anime type stuff as side story gags but you should really not be surprised by some animu stuff in FE. Given that it's almost a certainty a war's going to break out at some point, I'm hoping this will be more like if FE4 started its story when Sigurd/Eldigan/Quan were in an academy together rather than starting where it did. If Mila's Turnwheel is going to be a core part of the story somehow I imagine it will be used as a plot device for Byleth to go through all 3 routes so he can understand the perspectives of Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude before getting to do the unified Revelations Happy Tree Friends ending route.

On that note, sort of an interesting reversal that Edelgard's country seems to be the big, strong empire even though she seems to be the main lord if you had to tag one of the three as one (she got to narrate the first trailer after all). Usually it's antagonist factions with the big army (See: Bern, Grado, Begnion, Nohr). Sigurd did come from Grannvale, but he wasn't the Emperor's son or anything, and the conflict there was all over the place.

It might be the vastly different art style, but Dimitri doesn't strike me as a stand-in for typical FE protagonist. I still think Edelgard fills that role more. Dimitri's design makes him look like a stereotypical noble type to me. Given that Edelgard has lost faith in whatever the crests are, I'm guessing Dimitri will take the opposite role.

Still not a fan of self-insert My Units. From a gameplay perspective the My Unit is fun, I just hate what it's done to supports and the writing in general, and it really culminated with Corrin being Lord, MU, and ancient super dragon rolled into one. Though at least they're stepping back from that and those are three (five?) separate characters again. It doesn't look like marriage or children will be in this game (then again, it'd fit just as well as children did in Fates), so fears of Byleth being able to marry his students are probably needless.

More open weapon/skill customization seems like a logical next step for the series, and personally I find this a lot more natural than just shifting into whatever class you want just by using a seal. It simultaneously allows for more flexibility in character growth while actually being more verisimilitudinous than what we had before. Seems cool enough.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 08:18:02 AM »
I'll probably repeat a lot of what I said in Discord, but whatever.

Well, as someone who never uses discord, I wouldn't mind it since a lot of what you just posted was interesting, and now it won't be lost into the aether...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
Following up on what Hathen and I posted yesterday.

The Academy looks to be an excuse to bring Villagers back since everyone seems to be starting as a Noble before having to study to become a Brigand or something (interesting that they have both Mercenary and Thief, but no Myrmidon). Additionally, in regards to skills and skill learning, it looks like certain characters still have specific weapon proficiencies (in the Training Grounds segment, Ferdinand had Lv 1 ranks in Swords, Lances and Axes versus Sylvain's Lances and Axes; considering that other interfaces have Weapon Ranks represented by Letter Grade rather than by Numeric, it could mean either a character's given proficiency or it could refer to Arts or Gambits (especially since Bernadetta had some other kind of skill shown on her UI).

If anything, the Skill Level business reminds me more of Suikoden III's and onward Skill Tutoring system (where characters skill levels capped out at different stages due to that particular character's innate proficiency, with heavy duty fighters like Chris being more proficient at learning skills like Heavy Armor proficiency, Heavy Blow, and Mobility enhancements to simulate getting used to and proficient in moving around in heavy armor but could still take up boosts to Accuracy, Attack Speed and core elemental magic (with her highest proficiency in Water at like B or something) even if she had a low cap due to her lack of aptitude, compared to Hugo who was easier to train in lightweight fighting skills and Fire Magic and harder to train in raw combat and Water Magic, and Geddoe who got better at nuking people with Magic, but wasn't a slouch in hand to hand combat, with Lightning Magic and Magic performance enhancing skills being his specialty due to his True Rune shenanigans).

Of course such a system would mean that unfortunately, I can't raise an army of Punch Mans. It also reminds me of Berwick Saga's skill levels over raw stats approach. With promotions and recruitment requiring building skill levels up to certain thresholds (as well as managing a mercenary company, being in a small neutral country caught between a couple warring world powers, and possibly having to manage your mounts separate from the characters that ride them; especially if characters need to be trained in how to use them).

On a separate note, I lol'd at FemByleth having huge knockers by default. I guess if anything came out of FEH, its that players like 'em big. And on a similar note, I really do not like the character designs in this game. Especially if going forward past 3H, everybody's forevermore locked to their boring ass school uniforms because that's what their default character art has them as.

I would also be really pissed if all we got for recruits this time were students. FE at its core is about cobbling together a ragtag band of animes to fight the evil empire/dragons. Fates was really awful about this as well since the few people who weren't Corrin, Corrin's Retainers, Corrin's Siblings/Relatives, or Corrin's Siblings' Retainers were low level grunts in the service of Corrin's Country of Choice or Prepromotes that pretty much beelined to the bench.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
^ I don't know which is tighter: Aeolus' summary or Raphael's shirt.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:44:40 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 12:57:39 AM »
So SF has posted their own summary of the trailer. https://serenesforest.net/2019/02/13/three-houses-february-2019-direct-analysis/#more-49377

And they make some interesting observations. Including a few I missed like the stuff exclusive to the JP direct, a few comparisons to what was shown back in 2018, and a few 'blink and you miss them' screenshots. But there's one important plot point they missed out on.

Note the following:

As they mentioned, this looks a lot like part of that Prf chainwhip sword Valentine. What they didn't mention is that this is most likely one of those blameable 'crests'. Specifically,

this one right about here^. Two down, right above the one that's damaged, smack dab in the center of that chart.

This means that we're looking at a Jugdral situation where every house of note is running around with their own fantasy WWII tanks while everyone else is playing cowboys and indians (although maybe not all of the Crests got fashioned into weapons since there'd be 21 of the fuckers otherwise). So yeah, I could see that the Crests really are to blame in this case.

One more thing I should mention is that while the above Crest is likely part of a weapon, I don't necessarily believe it to be part of that chainwhip sword, but of another fantasy nuke instead.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:00:20 AM by Aeolus »

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Awesome updates Aelous. I do agree that the fact this world has a name is a good sign for world building. I'm not sure how I feel about another avatar character but I hope he/she is more like Robin or Kris than Corrin. Meaning other characters, primarily the students get a share of the character development spotlight.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 06:38:07 AM »
Awesome updates Aelous. I do agree that the fact this world has a name is a good sign for world building. I'm not sure how I feel about another avatar character but I hope he/she is more like Robin or Kris than Corrin. Meaning other characters, primarily the students get a share of the character development spotlight.
Shouldn't that be more like Robin than Kris or Corrin? The one thing that I have heard about New Mystery is that Kris overshadows Marth making Marth look completely ineffective.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
I'd say Robin and Kris are about the same level, the only reason a lot of people think Kris is worse is because they have the original Mystery of the Emblem to compare it to (which, let's be honest, didn't really have much of a story itself). If anything Kris's importance is actually less so than Robin's is in his own game.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
At least Robin turned out to be the wrong chosen one, even if their status as a Lord is murky at best (they ended up overshadowing Lucina).

But yeah, the biggest issue with Kris is the fact that a lot of their relevancy was swiped from Mystery's Marth. Worse still is that you can't cover them in goofy hats/facial wear as that would've made them a whole lot more tolerable.

Corrin had the biggest issues though because of the whole 'romancing your siblings from two families thing' as well as only a handful of characters not falling into the camp of being within 2 degrees of them, on top of a full host of other plot centric elements.

Byleth is unfortunately looking like they're going to be the main Lord this time as well. Especially since out of all main house leaders and such, he's the only one confirmed to be a Sord Lord. Dimitri looks to have Lance proficiency, Edelgard having Axes and Claude getting on with the Bows.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 09:27:49 PM »
I mean, the self-insert being a main lord isn't really inherently a problem, like 80% of WRPGs do it, and a lot of the older FE lords were made super bland as to make them easy to project onto anyway.

I still prefer Mark if they need to have a self-insert. Even if they had made Mark a playable unit it wouldn't be so bad because for the most part you're just a guy sorta tagging along story-wise. I know a lot of people point to it as the beginning of husbando/waifu subtext when Eliwood/Hector/Lyn directly speak to the player, but they never directly flirt with you or anything stupid like that so it comes off as such a false equivalence to me when people compare Lyn to Camilla or something.

Or compare Mark with Kiran- story-wise they're basically filling the same role, but every single character wants Kiran's dick/vag so it makes all the text become insufferable.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
https://serenesforest.net/2019/03/08/three-houses-boxart-music-art-book-samples-fodlan-collection/#more-50103

So here's the actual boxart + collector's edition/steelbook case, etc. for 3 Houses. Aside from Spider-Claude, the morsels of info this update brings contains the following. First is that Edgelord has some very distinct markings on her axe, which means we may be seeing their Legendaries, if not their early game Prfs (i.e. Rapier, Royal Sword, Thani, and so on...). Second is that the special edition box has fantastically good art as does the Steelbook case.

Third, is that Steelbook case contains some rather interesting information,

especially in regards to both the figure and the chamber they're in. In regards to the character, a blurb describes them in a "slight eeriness in their majestic figure." Of significance in this, I should note that between the figure's distinct headdress and the shape and style of their cloak that

it cannot be this individual at the point of the game this image is from. It however could easily belong to

this individual. Moreover, the cover's image also gives us a clue as to where this is located and most likely their affiliation as the window contains a depiction of the Adrestian Empire's Crest. Incidentally, we've seen this location before

back in 2018. And there we clearly see more instances of the Adrestian Empire's Crest throughout the cathedral. And with these taken with the next two images

you can start to see a noteworthy pattern. Namely, that in the Adrestian Empire's Crest is both featured prominently in the 12 o'clock position in the Crest Wheel, and is used in the world map's compass rose over any other Crest, and between these, and the green haired lady signifies the significance of the Empire in the game's setting (we're likely looking at a Grannvale or Begnion situation over whatever the fuck was happening over in Fatesvania).

The fourth thing of interest is in this image.

Namely, the one that depicts the crest in the courtyard on a balcony overlooking a mountain valley. While its not directly confirmed, its extremely likely that this is a part of the Garreg Mach Monastery/FE Hogwarts. That also means that the monastery itself has its own Crest backing it, specifically the one just beneath the one belonging to Claude's house/realm in the 8:45 position. Its also likely that the storehouse image just beneath the balcony one contains something else of significance (what looks to be like an old/forgotten alter).

There's one other thing that hasn't been depicted in this update, but the one before it.

The symbol depicted on the placeholder SE Boxart is interesting to me because of something that's been cropping up for awhile now. First up is

Old Belmont dude with

Valkyrie Lady here with

Byleth here. All three of them are wielding the exact same sword. Butttttt....in this image

You can see that Ol' Belmondo's version has its Crest and is shining and doing cool chain-whip-sword things. Back in the Byleth image, you can see a cavity where the Crest should be but isn't, which also gives it an Awakening's Falchion look to it. And in Fallen Valkyrie's image, you can see a Crest, but not which one because it looks burnt out/damaged. And of course as its in the game's normal box art with both Byleth's meaning its their Legendary/Prf. Buttttt....backing up to the first Bylmont image. You can see on his cape and shoulderguard, that same image depicted on the placeholder. Its the same mark as seen on

this little dragon lady. Methinks this mark is supposed to be some kind of "Lost Crest" ala FE4's Loptyr's Holy Bloodline

(seen here; although not necessarily due to being evil).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
Anyone else think this plot is set up for a mid-game time skip?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »

I would hope not. The last thing this game needs is another bout of eugenics. It was a stretch in Awakening and it was awful in Fates. Lets see a game done in one single generation this time.

But no. I don't suspect there will be anything more substantial than a brief time skip ala Awakening's time skip (that existed largely to set up the Lucina reveal and move on from Emmeryn).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »

I would hope not. The last thing this game needs is another bout of eugenics. It was a stretch in Awakening and it was awful in Fates. Lets see a game done in one single generation this time.

But no. I don't suspect there will be anything more substantial than a brief time skip ala Awakening's time skip (that existed largely to set up the Lucina reveal and move on from Emmeryn).

IDK, I'd prepare yourself for one.  Not only is it a "new" way to incorporate child units, but the three "House leaders" are all very young and in positions to inherit power.  A time skip here would have juicy plot potential.  It's too easy for IS to ignore, methinks.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »
I don't really see how the generational thing was a stretch in Awakening given that large swathes of the game was centered around a time travel plot. You could possibly make an argument around them having a time travel plot because they wanted generational gameplay rather than the other way around, but at least that means they inserted it properly (and you could probably make a similar argument towards FE4 anyway). Fates' child characters were implemented awfully though, it introduced an element to the Fates world that's never mentioned again despite the fact that it should have far-reaching consequences, and it's not the only part of the game that's like that (See: My Castle, or Anankos randomly pulling people from other universes).