Author Topic: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: [s]Tree[/s] Three Houses
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 03:14:41 AM »
I'll probably repeat a lot of what I said in Discord, but whatever.

The continent actually having a name this time is a good sign for worldbuilding at least.

Aside from that some general thoughts on the story: Some people seem to be reacting negatively to the school life thing, but it seems more military academy than high school bullshittery. I'm sure there will be some cliche high school anime type stuff as side story gags but you should really not be surprised by some animu stuff in FE. Given that it's almost a certainty a war's going to break out at some point, I'm hoping this will be more like if FE4 started its story when Sigurd/Eldigan/Quan were in an academy together rather than starting where it did. If Mila's Turnwheel is going to be a core part of the story somehow I imagine it will be used as a plot device for Byleth to go through all 3 routes so he can understand the perspectives of Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude before getting to do the unified Revelations Happy Tree Friends ending route.

On that note, sort of an interesting reversal that Edelgard's country seems to be the big, strong empire even though she seems to be the main lord if you had to tag one of the three as one (she got to narrate the first trailer after all). Usually it's antagonist factions with the big army (See: Bern, Grado, Begnion, Nohr). Sigurd did come from Grannvale, but he wasn't the Emperor's son or anything, and the conflict there was all over the place.

It might be the vastly different art style, but Dimitri doesn't strike me as a stand-in for typical FE protagonist. I still think Edelgard fills that role more. Dimitri's design makes him look like a stereotypical noble type to me. Given that Edelgard has lost faith in whatever the crests are, I'm guessing Dimitri will take the opposite role.

Still not a fan of self-insert My Units. From a gameplay perspective the My Unit is fun, I just hate what it's done to supports and the writing in general, and it really culminated with Corrin being Lord, MU, and ancient super dragon rolled into one. Though at least they're stepping back from that and those are three (five?) separate characters again. It doesn't look like marriage or children will be in this game (then again, it'd fit just as well as children did in Fates), so fears of Byleth being able to marry his students are probably needless.

More open weapon/skill customization seems like a logical next step for the series, and personally I find this a lot more natural than just shifting into whatever class you want just by using a seal. It simultaneously allows for more flexibility in character growth while actually being more verisimilitudinous than what we had before. Seems cool enough.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 08:18:02 AM »
I'll probably repeat a lot of what I said in Discord, but whatever.

Well, as someone who never uses discord, I wouldn't mind it since a lot of what you just posted was interesting, and now it won't be lost into the aether...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
Following up on what Hathen and I posted yesterday.

The Academy looks to be an excuse to bring Villagers back since everyone seems to be starting as a Noble before having to study to become a Brigand or something (interesting that they have both Mercenary and Thief, but no Myrmidon). Additionally, in regards to skills and skill learning, it looks like certain characters still have specific weapon proficiencies (in the Training Grounds segment, Ferdinand had Lv 1 ranks in Swords, Lances and Axes versus Sylvain's Lances and Axes; considering that other interfaces have Weapon Ranks represented by Letter Grade rather than by Numeric, it could mean either a character's given proficiency or it could refer to Arts or Gambits (especially since Bernadetta had some other kind of skill shown on her UI).

If anything, the Skill Level business reminds me more of Suikoden III's and onward Skill Tutoring system (where characters skill levels capped out at different stages due to that particular character's innate proficiency, with heavy duty fighters like Chris being more proficient at learning skills like Heavy Armor proficiency, Heavy Blow, and Mobility enhancements to simulate getting used to and proficient in moving around in heavy armor but could still take up boosts to Accuracy, Attack Speed and core elemental magic (with her highest proficiency in Water at like B or something) even if she had a low cap due to her lack of aptitude, compared to Hugo who was easier to train in lightweight fighting skills and Fire Magic and harder to train in raw combat and Water Magic, and Geddoe who got better at nuking people with Magic, but wasn't a slouch in hand to hand combat, with Lightning Magic and Magic performance enhancing skills being his specialty due to his True Rune shenanigans).

Of course such a system would mean that unfortunately, I can't raise an army of Punch Mans. It also reminds me of Berwick Saga's skill levels over raw stats approach. With promotions and recruitment requiring building skill levels up to certain thresholds (as well as managing a mercenary company, being in a small neutral country caught between a couple warring world powers, and possibly having to manage your mounts separate from the characters that ride them; especially if characters need to be trained in how to use them).

On a separate note, I lol'd at FemByleth having huge knockers by default. I guess if anything came out of FEH, its that players like 'em big. And on a similar note, I really do not like the character designs in this game. Especially if going forward past 3H, everybody's forevermore locked to their boring ass school uniforms because that's what their default character art has them as.

I would also be really pissed if all we got for recruits this time were students. FE at its core is about cobbling together a ragtag band of animes to fight the evil empire/dragons. Fates was really awful about this as well since the few people who weren't Corrin, Corrin's Retainers, Corrin's Siblings/Relatives, or Corrin's Siblings' Retainers were low level grunts in the service of Corrin's Country of Choice or Prepromotes that pretty much beelined to the bench.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
^ I don't know which is tighter: Aeolus' summary or Raphael's shirt.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:44:40 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 12:57:39 AM »
So SF has posted their own summary of the trailer. https://serenesforest.net/2019/02/13/three-houses-february-2019-direct-analysis/#more-49377

And they make some interesting observations. Including a few I missed like the stuff exclusive to the JP direct, a few comparisons to what was shown back in 2018, and a few 'blink and you miss them' screenshots. But there's one important plot point they missed out on.

Note the following:

As they mentioned, this looks a lot like part of that Prf chainwhip sword Valentine. What they didn't mention is that this is most likely one of those blameable 'crests'. Specifically,

this one right about here^. Two down, right above the one that's damaged, smack dab in the center of that chart.

This means that we're looking at a Jugdral situation where every house of note is running around with their own fantasy WWII tanks while everyone else is playing cowboys and indians (although maybe not all of the Crests got fashioned into weapons since there'd be 21 of the fuckers otherwise). So yeah, I could see that the Crests really are to blame in this case.

One more thing I should mention is that while the above Crest is likely part of a weapon, I don't necessarily believe it to be part of that chainwhip sword, but of another fantasy nuke instead.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:00:20 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Awesome updates Aelous. I do agree that the fact this world has a name is a good sign for world building. I'm not sure how I feel about another avatar character but I hope he/she is more like Robin or Kris than Corrin. Meaning other characters, primarily the students get a share of the character development spotlight.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Today at 06:38:07 AM »
Awesome updates Aelous. I do agree that the fact this world has a name is a good sign for world building. I'm not sure how I feel about another avatar character but I hope he/she is more like Robin or Kris than Corrin. Meaning other characters, primarily the students get a share of the character development spotlight.
Shouldn't that be more like Robin than Kris or Corrin? The one thing that I have heard about New Mystery is that Kris overshadows Marth making Marth look completely ineffective.