Author Topic: E3 2018: Wait. What happened to 2017!?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
E3 2018: Wait. What happened to 2017!?
« on: June 07, 2018, 05:39:31 AM »
I should've gotten too old for this shit, but here I am, on the road again. Here I am, up on the stage.

*ahem* That aside, conferences start off with EA posting about their latest lootboxes Sony doing some sort of 5 day pre-E3 reveal thingy (probably because their entire actual conference will all be one long sizzle reel in an effort to try to get you to forget that you're 35+ yrs old raising two point five kids on your own at minimum wage for about 5 minutes). This will be followed by EA latest innovations in nickle and diming techniques, followed by Fallout 76, and more Devolver madness (which is the big reason why I regret not making an E3 2017 thread last year), then deets on Squeenix's latest Tomb Raider project, with Ubisoft bringing up the rear in terms of irrelevant shit. Then E3 actually starts with Sony's aforementioned Sizzle Reel VR tech, followed by 25 minutes of actual, upcoming games, being presented the next day.

Or you can take a moment to reflect on the knowledge that this year's E3 is the ten year anniversary of E3 2008 where we were given the gaming gifts such as Shaun White Snowboarding, Raving Rabbids TV Party, SPORE Creatures, Playstation HOME, Gran Tourismo TV, DC Universe Online trailer, God of War 3 trailer, MAG trailer and 12~13 minutes of Wii Music along with the new 80 Gig PS3 hardware bundle for only $400 bux.

So what sighting are you looking to make this year? UFOs? Bigfoot? Elvis? Kingdom Hearts 3?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2018: Wait. What happened to 2017!?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
Give me VIIR or give me death.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
Bethesda: I'm more of a Fantasy guy so I'm hoping for TES VI, but not expecting it since they'll probably be focusing on Fallout.

SE: Interested in DQXI, but honestly I don't feel like I need to see any more footage of the game. KH3 is yet another SE project that's been dragged on for years and years and I mostly just want to see it released to have some closure.

Ubisoft: BG&E2, of course. Would be nice to know...anything about it, really.

Sony: That new Spiderman, I guess?

Nintendo: The usual. Smash, Pokemon 2019, Fire Emblem Switch. Not confident we'll see the second one there since the focus will be on the Let's Go games. FE's the main one I'm looking for anyway.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/devolver-digital-teases-potential-metal-wolf-chaos-localization

Oh shit son. I think we have our play to beat (depending upon the systems it lands on).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:02:23 AM »
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/devolver-digital-teases-potential-metal-wolf-chaos-localization

Oh shit son. I think we have our play to beat (depending upon the systems it lands on).

And I've been on a Mecha Kick this week! I hope it's true!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 06:10:00 AM »
As always, I'm curious to see what neato stuff our editors find that's off the beaten path.  I still remember when I went to E3 six years ago, a partner and I were at an appointment where our expectations were low to nil, and it ended up being one of the best appointments we did.  So, yeah, I'm itching to see the hidden and unexpected treasures RPGFan finds. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »
EA:

Preshow: "We have all these wonderful games and job opportunities where you can exchange ideas and be creative. Also who wants to get a job playing games? Then QA is looking for you. Wait we're still on?"

Battlefield Vee: "Our take on WWII. No to Lootboxes or season passes, yes to Royales."

Foozebol: FIFA19. "See our wonderful trophy." Also FIF18 will have a new trophy.

EACEO: Guys, have you heard of the Cloud or that you can stream games from it? Also, have a brand new subscriptions service to make up for all the Lootboxes that we totally aren't doing anymore.

Star Wars Jedi Falling Odor: "I'm gonna be a jedi toniiight!" if by toniiight, we mean maybe sometime this decade. RIP Titanfall.

Star Wars Battlefront 2: Well, we've already made all these assets despite Solo being kinda No Go, but hey, Ewoks and Clone Wars. Also we're terribly sorry this game is shit. We will continue to make more of it and again, we're sorry its shit.

Unraveled 2: Never give up. Never surrender. Now check out this prerendered trailer that we're 'playing'. At least you can now play this cute but average looking platformer.

Sea of Solitude: "Sendin' out an SOS." Couldn't tell you what the game's about because it looks like a German Indie studio developed Art game about monstrous women and loneliness.

NBA  2019: Now you can also be swept by the Warriors.

Madden 2019: "I played Baseball until I hurt my arm, and then went to a tournament instead of graduation, and then to graduation. And that's why I stand before you holding this not-WWE belt now."

Clash of Command and Conquer Clans Mobile:

Anthem: RIP Bioware. Add instant story, for only $5.99 per chapter. Guys, the world will kill you. Everyone gets to experience 'the Storm' at the same time in this totally not an MMO/Destiny. Also you can spend additional money but it doesn't do anything. And now for some prerendered footage.

TL;DR: I guess this is what happens when you lose a lawsuit involving your largest source of revenue. Look forward to EA 2019 for all these games and their latest Swag Barrel technology. Also there was no Sk4te.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »
So EA continues to be a non-entity as far as my gameplay habits are concerned. RIP Mass Effect and Titalfall, but I guess if they did make more of the latter, it'd be garbage just like Battlefront #2 is...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
Kingdom Hearts III has a planned release date of January 29th, 2019. I cannot believe it. I seriously cannot believe it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:04:04 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
I agree. I don't believe it either.

That said, Microsoft:

Preshow: What the hell is up with this 20 second loop? We have 50 Games. 18 of them will be (timed) exclusives. 15 we're showing here because Sony's still stuck in Monday hell.

Halo Infinite: 100 Space Marines Parachute onto a Halo.
Ori II: Can't wait to play this on PC/Switch/PS4.
Sekiro: Samurai Souls!
Bethesda: Xbone players get some Fallout 4 finally. Also Fallout 76, aka Fallout Country Road
Captain Spirit: Aspergers simulator.
Crackdown 3: Terry Crews simulator.
Nier: A port.
Metro Exodus (got a better reception over the Nier:A port). A better Fallout than Fallout.
KH3: Catching up on all the Disney movies released in the last 13 years. Also hi Aqua.
Sea of Thieves expansions: Sea of Some Rare Content finally? Doubt it.
Battlefield V: Continuing the cringe from yesterday.
Forza 4: 100 Hovercraft Parachute onto Edinburgh.
MSStudio Initiative/Undead Games/Playground Games/Ninja Theory/Compulsion Games: Rip.
We Happy Few: Rip PS4 version.
PUGB winter edition.
ToV: Now everybody can shut up about the PS3 version.
Division 2: Division Harder: "let me adjust my build" Thanks Ubisoft for always bringing the scripted 'gameplay'.
Gamepass: Machine Learning Skynet system will double your gamelaunch speeds.
Shadow of TR: Another one of these.
Session: Totally not skate 4.
Black Desert: MMOLOL.
DMCV: We've gathered the best minds at Capcom. "Engrish is hard. You do it."
Tunic: still Indie Furry Zelda 1 from last year.
Jump Force: Lmfao @ Goku and Death Note.
Dying Light 2: Electric Bugaloo. Isn't this like the fourth one of these post civilization hellscapes this presser?
Battletoads: They're back (again, in 2019).
Just Cause 4: Just Cause or Die
Gears Pop: Lol, Gears Tactics lolol, Gears 5.
Microsoft programming crap: Here's this tired speech once again.
Cyberpunk 2077

Overall, a better year than recent ones for MS. Still no real reason to bother with an Xbone.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
Crackdown 3: Terry Crews simulator.
Metro Exodus (got a better reception over the Nier:A port). A better Fallout than Fallout.

Agreed on both counts, and these are the two I'm still excited for the most.

With that said, there was actually a lot more interesting games this time around, and I recently vented my pent up frustrations got a refresher of their conference from last year.

Granted most of the ones I care about were multiplat - Sekiro, Metro, KH3, (Probably) ToV, DMCV, Jump Force, Just Cause 4, and Cyberpunk 2077. Crackdown's still the only major upcoming console exclusive I have any interest in besides The Last Night and Outer Wilds....except...wait, what's this Tunic you're referring to? I didn't see that anywhere...

EDIT: ZOMG it looks so cute!!!

but...why did it have to be in isometric? I can't navigate isometric space to save my life. =(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 07:39:38 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 11:31:14 PM »
Bethesda:

Who are all these wage slaves and where are the games?

There's a sizzle reel at least.

There bringing the salt and the hair metal of Andrew WK.

Rage 2: Huh? Meh.

Elderscrolls CCG: And here's our first Switch game. Lol.

Elderscrolls Online: Have an expansion.

Doom Eternal: Have some talking heads.

Quake Champions: Have some e-Sports.

Prey: Have some randomizer DLC.

Wolfenstine 3: Coop Wolfenstine. The other Switch game.

Skyrim: The second Switch game. Still won't be on as many machines as Ys I & II.

Fallout 76: Have the exact same trailer from the MS confrences. MMO status confirmed though (at least its not a blatant Battle Royale).

Fallout Shelter: The third Switch game.

Elder Scrolls Blades: F2P Mobile trash.

Starfield: Oh shiiiiiit. LMGDAOATS.

Elder Scrolls VI: Oh shit. A game people will actually care about (in 2020).

TL;DR: Cringe was great. The band was wasted on that audience though. But man, what a load of dead air and meh. At least it wasn't quite as dire as EA's trainwreck yesterday.

Devolver:

Lots of swearing and viewer insults.

Something Banana: B. Ananas.

Could've done without the nerd nipples.

Motherfucking Metal Wolf Chaos!

And a Robocop parody.

TL;DR: Not bad for 20 minutes of "Sure, why not?".

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »
Rage 2 looked awesome. Too bad it was the only thing  Bethesda showed that looked awesome. Too many teasers, too much multiplayer, and too much time dedicated to mobile garbage. The only conference I watched live and boy do I regret it.

Oh hey, Metal Wolf Chaos is getting a remaster with an international release? Now that's great news!

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 12:48:41 AM »

Overall, a better year than recent ones for MS. Still no real reason to bother with an Xbone.

If that doesn't get anyone to buy an XBOX I honestly dont think they will ever get one. This is a good as MS will ever do.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 07:54:56 AM »

If that doesn't get anyone to buy an XBOX I honestly dont think they will ever get one. This is a good as MS will ever do.

The problem continues to be "Okay, I liked this game and can't wait to play it on my PS4." They only really showed Halo, Forza, We Happy Few (1P edition), possibly that ToV port and Gears as exclusives. Edit: Nevermind. WHF will be on the PS4 and ToV complete edition will be on all the systems (including Switch). LOFL they got fucking nothing. Way to sell me on a PS4 Microsoft.

I also liked how much of a deal they were making in regards to buying up these smaller developers to add to their catalogue of console exclusive wares (also on PC).

Also, I made a mistake on the Bethesda conference recap as I mistook Starfield as Starcitizen, the latter of which is this huge development clusterfuck of vaporware, impossible promises and sunk costs fallacy. I have no fucking clue as to what Starfield's offering (but there's a good chance its going to be a hyperviolent FPS involving big guns, freakishly demonic alien monsters, and various barren hellscapes; or in short, Doom IN SPAAAAACCCCE!).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:30:49 AM by Aeolus »