Author Topic: E3 2018: Wait. What happened to 2017!?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2018: Wait. What happened to 2017!?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »
Squeenix:

Shadows of the Tomb Raider: Shadows of the Murder Hobo.
FFXIV Stormblood: MMO expansion that's already been out for weeks. Also MonHun collab.
Captain Spirit: Imaginary Backyard Treasure Tracker still.
Dragon Quest XI: English VAing. No 3DS version sucka.
Babylon Fall: All the timeline crap for what? Might be worth caring about in 2-10 years? Or it wont. By Platinum Games.
Nier A: Xboned again.
Octopath Traveler: July 13th.
Just Cause 4: Tornadoes don't work that way.
Quiet Man: Why is this alt-right shit beating up randos?
Kingdom Hearts 3: New day, same trailer. Still as silent as the previous trailer.
And that's it? Keith David was wasted on this (seriously, they don't even have a Gargoyles world for KH3).

TL;DR: Nothing new other than some English VA preview of DQXI and some Tomb Raider gameplay. This one's a wet fart.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

mooserocka

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 06:42:06 PM »
I feel bethesda did great even though i dont care about , prey,doom, wolfenstein. I am a lil worried about fallout online game but who knows. Blades looks meh, and the generic elder scrolls was like yay you told us what we knew.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »
Limited Run:

Oh god, the cringe is real. This is being filmed in somebody's garage isn't it?

List of suddenly physically materialized games that will immediately become secret shames: Golf Story, Iconoclasts, Observer, Layers of Fear, Thumper, The House of Fata Morgana, Read Only Memories, Va-11 Hall-A, Senran Kagura Bon Appetit, Oceanhorn, Cosmic Star Heroine, Night Trap, Yooka-Laylee, Spleunky, Exile's End, Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive, Salt and Sanctuary, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Double Switch.

Because I sure as hell need a lot of indie titles cluttering up my collection that I can't even show anybody since either I'll look like a creep, or would require an explanation far longer than any non gaming-sperglord's attention span would tolerate.

TL;DR: Like, if they had stuck to 1991's CGI during the intro and just covered their shit, it would've been a whole lot better, but they ran their joke of a presser into the ground, and most of these titles are hard passes or better off digital anyways.

Ubisoft:

Just Dance 2019: Bringing the Cringe and dropping the mic. Coming to a bargain bin in November.
Beyond Good and Evil 2: Jade's back and has yet to go beyond good and evil, and have some Pre-Alpha footage. Joseph Gordon Levitt: "Also we don't have enough asset creators, give us your stuff!" Other Presenter: "We nailed it!"
Rainbow Six Siege: Thirty Five Milion Toops! E-Sports, who gives a fuck!
Trials Rising: Fake Super Dave Osborne. Interest falling in Excitebike 2019. Sign up for Trials University and get your degree in ragdoll physics today!
Division 2: Lol at Small Pox Apocalypse. Lololol at all the pop up ads. Succeed and history will remember the few who saved the country from itself #teaparty #altright. Lololololol @ Raids ZOMG!!! Also that paper airplane came from the EA conference.
Mario Vs. Rabbids: DK Vs. Rabbids expansion. DK! Donkey Kong! His Coconut Gun fires in bursts. If it hits ya, its gonna hurt.
Skull & Bones: Ass Creed Black Flag, minus the Ass Creed. Division on the water. Sea of Thieves but an actual game.
TransferenceVR: Transfarance! Escape the Room, brought to you by Frodo Baggins and French developers.
Starlink: The Last Amiibofighter. Also motherfucking Star Fox. Its not even their presser yet and yet Nintendo wins E3 again.
For Honor: Weeb Samurai versus Baka Gaijin, now with Three Kingdoms flavor. "Have fun sieging the castle!"
The Crew 2: Soon Freedom will be yours. Throwing horns and sneaking in some Red Bull branding.
Ass Creed O2: Ass Creed Greece. Now with 100% female Ass. And it even comes with the "THIS! IS! SPARTA!" kick.

This is really the E3 where everybody's suffering from labor shortages and want cheap labor.

TL;DR: Ubisoft continues to ride the crazy train with their pressers. That said, this was probably more of a Nintendo victory than Ubisoft's considering how lame/uninspired some of their non Nintendo collaboration titles are looking.

PC:

Preshow: Wow, this is off to a marketing start.

Satsifactory: Its like a prettier Minecraft.
Neocab: Noir cab driver game. Cyberpunk flavor.
Mavericks Proving Grounds: Battle Royale #1.
The Forgotten City: They made a game out of a mod.
Star Control Origins: No Man's Starcontrol. Don't Stardox me.
Hunt Showdown: DLC!
Archangel Hellfire: 100 Mechs parachute onto an island.
The Sinking City: Lovecraft third person shooter.
Warframe Sacrifice: A sequel to a series of games I know nothing about.
Sega PC: Playing these on a console instead.
Killing Floor 2: Killing Harder.
Maneater: Shark Sandwich.
Bravery Network Online: Turn based fighting game...uhn.
Morning Star: Cyber Turnip growing VR simulator.
Overwhelm: Underwhelming
Jurassic World Evolution: Goldblum unleashed.
Stormland: Openworld FPS VR game. An FPS that actually is an FPS.
Night Call: Another Noir cab driver simulator. This one actually noir based.
Sable: I feel like I watched this on MTV 30 years ago.
Star Citizen: Bwhahahaha. Here we go, here's the game that'll eventually come out in an Alternate Reality near you.
Tech talk: $9000 Laptop? Fuck off!
Genesis Alpha One: Spore x Doom on PC.
Don't Starve Hamlet: More Don't Starve.
Just Cause 4: Just Cause trailer 3 + 1.
Overclock's The Walking Dead: Zombies are so played out. 100 extras of hit TV Show, The Walking Dead parachute onto an island.
Telltale's The Walking Dead: Its the final countdown.
Noita: Not a lot to go on here.
Two Point Hospital: The Sims: General Hospital edition.
Realm Royale: Battle Royale #2.
Ooblets: Doublefine's Pokemon inspired clone. Release date, too soon.
Anno 1800: An RTS in TYoOL 201800?
Rapture Rejects: Battle Royale #3. Battle Royale of the Stick.
Hitman 2: Kill a guy with a frozen fish or a frying pan.

TL;DR: Bad presser full of talking heads with the briefest of snippets, but you can just mod all of this anyways so who gives a fuck.

Sony:

Preshow: Sony's got their own knock off Rabbids now? Also, apparently this is in a Tent Church. At least it isn't a Tractor Trailer Church. And we're now listening to a bassoon? Da fuk!?
Last of Us 2: Its a good thing this is a fake church because I kinda doubt that a real church's community would appreciate the fact that footage of digital teenage lesbians kissing was being shown on their grounds.
Tetris Effect: This is your Tetris on drugs. Any questions?
Days Gone: Zombie games used to be able to carry E3, but those days gone.
CoD:Blops 3: Why show this when CoD:Blops 4 is right there?
Twin Mirror: Still not as interesting as Deadly Premonition.
Ghost Giant: But can he beat the Iron Giant?
Beat Saber: Elite Beat Saber.

And then Sony's Twitch shits the bed. Motherfuckers.

Ghost of Tsushima: Bushido Blade 3.
Control: Psychic Wars.
Resident Evil 2: 20 years later.
Trover Save the Universe: But can't save Rick and Morty.
Kingdom Hearts 3: Actual new footage at least.
Death Stranding: Breathless of the Wild featuring the Postman and a mess of raw, uncut Kojima.
Nioh 2: Death becomes him.
Spider Man: Featuring the Sinister Six.
Deracine: From Software's avant-garde entry.
PSVR: There's the Sony montage.

TL;DR: Twitch was the worst part of the show. Not a whole lot of content besides Spiderman and TLoU2, but it really seems like everybody is both aware that this is the tenth year anniversary of E3 2008 and is paying tribute in some way (except EA).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 12:10:58 AM »
...Oh damnit, The Sacrifice was at E3 after all. I guess I shouldn't have skipped the PC show...not that the others were any good. What a snorefest this E3 is turning out to be.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »
Worst E3 ever?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »
pretty sure nintendo won

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
Nintendo:

Deamon X Machina: I don't know what the christ this is, but I need it injected straight into my veins.
XBC2: Really fucking good looking DLC.
Lets Go Pokemon: Shilling Chimpokaball crap.
Super Mario Party: They called the 11th Mario Party, Super Mario Party.
Fire Emblem Three Houses: Please don't come in three versions.
Fortnite: 100 Nintendo fans parachute out of the stream.
Overcooked 2: Indie #1
Killer Queen Black: Indie #2
Hallow Knight: Indie #3
Game Montage: A whole mess of games, ranging from Megaman 11 and TWEWY to Minecraft and Minecraft clones.
Smash Bros. Ultimate: Hot: Ice Climber, Snake, Daisy, Bomberman, Ridley; Not: Landmasters, the return of No Pork City.

TL;DR: No Metroid Prime 4 or next gen Pokemon, but motherfucking Ridley for Smash 5. Also new Fire Emblem and really good looking XBC2 DLC. They brought the quality, but not the quantity since Smash ate half the Direct.

Worst E3 ever?

No, because Microsoft actually had a good one for once (albeit for basically everybody but Microsoft). And Nintendo really brought the Thunder as well. The rest (minus Devolver) was pretty fucking awful.

If you want to see the actual 'worst E3', look up E3 2008. 2007's was also incredibly dire.

...Oh damnit, The Sacrifice was at E3 after all. I guess I shouldn't have skipped the PC show...not that the others were any good. What a snorefest this E3 is turning out to be.

You didn't miss much, if anything at all. It was basically 30 seconds of footage of a dude in armor pick up a sword and stuff. The rest of the 4 minute segment was talking about this other conference where they actually announced the game and showed the same footage, and how that was received, and how the presenters felt while presenting said footage to said other conference. Frankly, this is basically the way that the entire PC show played out because for PC gamers, E3 is basically a Tuesday (although its really a Monday, but I digress).

The final score for me is:
Microsoft: A shit load of games of varying quality for everybody (but Microsoft).
Nintendo: Saving Ubisoft and motherfucking Smash. But they can't really compete with the sheer quantity of MS third party spam.
Devolver: One trick pony, but that pony is motherfucking 2004 bargain bin game. :V
Sony: Also a case of quality rather than quantity, but the quality was mostly in Interactive Cinematic Experiences and not in the pomp and circumstance.
Ubisoft: Are still hella French, but Nintendo came through for them. The intrusive popups and their non Nintendo infused stuff sucked out loud though.
Limited Run: Brought the wrong kind of cringe, and not enough to loop back around to awesome.
Bethesda: "That conference is a eunuch." That conference is a eunuch." "This conference is dead."
Squeenix: 30 minutes of almost no redeeming value, except for the irony of accidental racism.
PC: 90% Talking heads, 8% game footage, 2% Duck Cake Marketing.
EA:

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:46 PM »
Nintendo:

Deamon X Machina: I don't know what the christ this is, but I need it injected straight into my veins.

Yeah, that one stole the show for me. Still a lot of other good ones, like Fire Emblem and Hollow Night, and of course Smash. But Daemon x Machina just looks sweet. Like, I don't know if its on-rails or if it's gonna be like Armored Core with customizable units? But either way, it seems like exactly the kind of mech game my library is sorely missing.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
Nintendo:

Yeah, that one stole the show for me. Still a lot of other good ones, like Fire Emblem and Hollow Night, and of course Smash. But Daemon x Machina just looks sweet. Like, I don't know if its on-rails or if it's gonna be like Armored Core with customizable units? But either way, it seems like exactly the kind of mech game my library is sorely missing.

Apparently, its gonna be more like Armored Core, given Kenichiro Tsukuda is behind this.

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/marvelous-announces-daemon-x-machina-for-switch

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 01:45:13 PM »
Nintendo:

Apparently, its gonna be more like Armored Core, given Kenichiro Tsukuda is behind this.

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/marvelous-announces-daemon-x-machina-for-switch

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
So, I was premature in calling this worst E3 ever.  Fire Emblem Three Houses redeemed the entire event.

That said, Aeoly-poly managed to actually dampen my enthusiasm on that one just a tad. :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
I don't have time to pick apart everything Aeolus said but there is one thing that really caught my eye.

Sorry but that game didn't look like a shooter at all.  They did say that there would be combat but it wasn't the focus and they barely even showed it.  The focus seems to be more on investigation/mystery solving.  That combined with things like the sanity mechanics they mentioned remind be a lot of the Call of Cthulhu pen and paper games.  Which would be awesome if true.  Most of the eldritch horrors in that mythos are not things an ordinary person even can fight.

So yeah I object to that characterization.  I'm actually pretty hyped for this one.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 10:20:10 PM »
Realm Royale..............Oh! So that's what happened to the Paladins Battle Royale mode they announced back when Hi-Rez was inexplicably trying to sink their own ship it had worked on for 2+ years in the span of only a month! I'm glad common sense pulled through and they turned it into its own game instead of shoehorning it into a completely different game.

...I might have to try it just for the historical significance...

Also, Star Control Origins looks much better than when I last saw it. I'm still not entirely sold on the graphical style, but it's serviceable, and the gameplay looks interesting. More what I expected from Star Control in the modern era.

Genesis Alpha One looks very interesting from a gameplay persoective, but also genuinely creepy. It seems to take a lot of inspiration from Aliens, going off the trailer. Not sure I'm into that, but I might give it another look down the road if I ever get another "space colonization sim" itch...

Satisfactory looks pretty neat. Same with The Forgotten City.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:42:42 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 01:36:12 AM »
I don't have time to pick apart everything Aeolus said but there is one thing that really caught my eye.

Sorry but that game didn't look like a shooter at all.  They did say that there would be combat but it wasn't the focus and they barely even showed it.  The focus seems to be more on investigation/mystery solving.  That combined with things like the sanity mechanics they mentioned remind be a lot of the Call of Cthulhu pen and paper games.  Which would be awesome if true.  Most of the eldritch horrors in that mythos are not things an ordinary person even can fight.

So yeah I object to that characterization.  I'm actually pretty hyped for this one.

Apologies on that one. I only commented on what I saw during the presser and that was mostly a sequence where the main character is shooting creepy crawlies with a pistol in the dark from an over-the-shoulder perspective ala RE4. There were other bits, but they didn't last that long compared to the shooty bits, and they really didn't show a hell of a lot to begin with because most of the segment was spent talking to the developers about what were they going for with this game, short-term/long-term goals, demographics, inspirations, etc...

And that was pretty much the entire PC show in a nutshell. They really didn't show much since they spent most of the event talking on stage to people on the project about broad, vague gameplay features and goals, and the occasional piece of specific information that basically required you to already be following the project to understand what they're talking about. But the allotted time for each game was way too short for an off-hand Q&A session to really cut into.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
Worst E3 ever?

You can release trailers watched by millions for free on the youtubes or you could go to E3 spend a lot of cash and find out your game reveal is drowned out by another game's hype machine. So its kinda pointless and/or a relic of the pre-internet VG news magazine era?