Author Topic: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« on: August 07, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »
While most JRPGs are heavy on the drama and plot twists, some do a great job at delivering funny or amusing sketches and scenes to lighten up the mood, so which ones made you laugh the most ? of course am not asking for the games but the specific lines and quotes that you thought were the most hilarious, to give some examples for my favorite jokes:

Aramas: THAT is my greatest creation. The body of Hercules.... The fists of a Dark Karate Master.... The brain of Mahogany , A famous Witch, And to top it all off...... A HORSE WIENER!
Laharl: WHAAAAAT!!! A HORSE WIENER! NOW THAT'S DANGEROUS! everyone keep your guard up! - Disgaea

Etna: Those seemingly innocent Prinnies... It turns out they were hiding a big secret!
Prinny: It wouldn't be a secret if it wasn't hidden, dood.
Etna: When the Prinnies' evil spirits join as one, they form Pringer X, the mighty super robot!!
Prinny: Dood, we can't do that...
Etna: Here goes! Pringer Spiral Plasma Chop!...Gotcha! Pringer Aurora Triangle Kick!!...This is it! Pringer Spinning Drill Attack!!!
Prinny: Uh, dood, hello...
Etna: Next on Lovely Mad Scientist Etna, Episode 8: Farewell, Pringer X
Prinny: Dood!? You're killing us off!?
Etna: No worries! Pringer X will be reborn as the more powerful Pringer Z!
Prinny: I'm tellin ya, it ain't gonna happen, dood. - Disgaea

NPC: There's nothing wrong with drinking! And so what if my liver gives out? I always have a spare!

Nal: Uh...are you thinking about kidneys ?

NPC: Oh, yeah..Well, I guess I'm screwed. - Lunar: Silver Story

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: What are you favorite jokes in JRPGs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »
Thousand Arms is one of the few RPGs that truly made me laugh out loud on several occasions.  I loved goofball moments like the Nelsha and Ratchet cat- fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SANRhLOWjg .  My favorite part of the whole thing is
Spoiler: show
when the "beep" doesn't work all that well and you distinctly hear Nelsha drop the F-bomb. 
I wonder how many takes the Nelsha-Ratchet exchange took, because I'm sure the actresses were laughing through the first couple of takes.

I also liked how one of Ratchet's special attacks was "boop to the head" which is even funnier now because it totally predates that Internet meme. 

Granted, my favorite moments in that game were two of the comedic scenes involving the foppish "wandering nuisance antagonist" Bandiger.  My favorite Bandiger bit was when
he says the S-word and tries to backpedal.  JRPGs localizations back then were known to be sanitized, so I liked how they made the occasional swear word into something funny.

I also found it funny when, during dates, the girls would ask Meis if he'd be embarrassed to fart in their presence. 

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:48:24 AM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
@Dincrest  Agreed, Thousand Arms is probably the first JRPG I played that was intentionally funny with a big focus on comedy, and the voice acting was a big part of that, especially the entirety of the evil gang leaders, in fact one of my favorite parts of it was always how the big bad pronounced the word Darkness:: https://youtu.be/B1qxBIeZQCU?t=13s

You know, now that I listen to Ratchet again after all these years, she sounds a lot like Harley Quinn from the batman animated series, I can almost hear he go "Heeeey Mr.J".
NPC: There's nothing wrong with drinking! And so what if my liver gives out? I always have a spare!

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 09:02:01 PM »
Final Fantasy X-2:

"You think it needs a password?"
"How about 'kick its ass!'"

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:25:40 PM »
I love all the puns featured in the Dragon Quest series. So many monsters with funny names.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 10:33:14 PM »
The Marin sequence in Link's Awakening.

Everything from 'you got a Marin!' to her being a pro at the Crazy Game, to reveling at your discomfort when the flock of Coocos descend upon you.

Also, the Chests in Trails in the Sky.

"BARREL!!!"

Alternatively: FFXIII's Jihl Nabaat.

Or perhaps:
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:01:10 AM »
You know, now that I listen to Ratchet again after all these years, she sounds a lot like Harley Quinn from the batman animated series, I can almost hear he go "Heeeey Mr.J".

Pity Ratchet wasn't date-able in Thousand Arms.  That would have been wonderfully cuckoo. 

In terms of funny one-liners, Ryudo in Grandia 2 had some great ones:

Ryudo: "I'm sorry... were you waiting for me to give a damn?"

Elena: I refuse to with that... that BOOR!
Ryudo: Hey now, who ya calling a boar? 

and my personal favorite "What's with you and this cleansing thing?  I hardly think your soldiers are carrying soap and bubble bath inside their armor."

Anachronox is a game that embraced its absurdity in such an effortlessly nonchalant way as to make the humor that much more effective.  The whole thing where
the planet Democratus is not only shrunk down to "human" size to be a party member, but that its journey with the party is being filmed and presented to the people as the hottest new reality show.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:44:56 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
Final Fantasy X-2:

"You think it needs a password?"
"How about 'kick its ass!'"

Ooh, X-2 had some good ones.

Paine: *equips Songstress* "...I hate this dressphere."
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ex

• Dead Horse Rider
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore Retro Gaming
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
It wasn't an outright joke per se, but in FFXII when Balthier said; "I play the leading man, who else?", that made me laugh. It was amusing to me because of the history of the game's development.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 09:39:27 AM »
I love when games offer post-game bonus rewards, like blooper reels and outtakes.  One of my favorites was an outtake from The Longest Journey when the voice actor for Abnaxus says, "our three female children: Abratha, Abe-Leex, and you gotta be kidding!": https://youtu.be/8i_PScdwB6A?t=314

And in the Thousand Arms mail-in bonus disk, the voice actress for Kyleen says, "Are we gonna do anything fun?  Or are you just going to stand there with your thumb up your butt?"  Pity that line wasn't used in the game, because it is a good one.  Perhaps that's why it was prominent in the bonus disk. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:45:03 AM by Dincrest »
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 04:44:22 PM »
@Dincrest, oh man, I love it when games do this, my favorite is the one done in Vanguard Bandits, where after you see the real intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDlOXc8Jn4 which I really like, they added a blooper version of this intro for once you finish the game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1U8ugPZaII

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
Hilarious. The delivery is what makes that blooper intro so effective.
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 10:27:10 PM »
Soul Nomad's demon arc when you are at the castle and Shauna is babysitting everyone in your team.
https://youtu.be/ItwMlc4TM2M?t=171
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:48:02 PM by Annubis »

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
Gig in Soul Nomad is one of those rare instances where I found his English voice acting vastly superior to the Japanese.  Easily Yuri Lowenthal's best performance ever.  The scenes early on in the game where Gig mocks Danette for being stupid were hilarious because his pungent and acidic snark reminded me of some former RPGFanners who would just straight up skewer you if they thought you were being an idiot.

EDIT: Oh, how could I forget to mention some of my favorite comedy moments from Chrono Trigger.  I loved the scenes when Chrono would bring his companions home to meet his mom.  His mom's exchanges with Ayla and Frog were the absolute best.  I also laugh hysterically every time Ayla "snu-snus" Chrono on the side of the cliff when they first enter the prehistoric era.  Ayla's party in the DS version was a riot.  Soup became skull-smash (clearly an alcoholic beverage, by Robo's calculations), Lucca denying getting all white-girl-wasted, and Ayla being massively hung over the next day. 

-Hubert H. Humphrey

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
PS3's Escape Pipe trick. A rather unorthodox and convoluted bug fix from the olden days, but amusing nevertheless.

Also Ramza fucking murdering the hell outta Mustido.

Also also, several bits across Kattlox Island. Including popping up in a not so abandoned warehouse to A) crash a pizza party and B) circle strafe an 8 story tall giant robot that proceeds to level this section of town (finally).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.