Author Topic: Grandia 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Grandia 1 and 2 are coming to the Switch
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 02:54:50 AM »
I for one hope that even if they re-dub the game (which I really don't expect) they'll have an option for keeping the original dub. Not playing Grandia with the laughable original dub at this point would be like popping in Shining Force 3 and not getting an earful of ARCTIC BLATHTS.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:56:25 AM by Hathen »

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 06:01:48 AM »
Analagous situation:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's voice acting:  Playstation original vs PSP redux (with Dracula X Chronicles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIQCrVUrZU

Which do you prefer?

For me,
Spoiler: show
 original Alucard definitely had the superior voice to new Alucard and both had equivalent acting.  Both Richters were lousy, but old Richter was memorably cheesy.  Original Maria sounded too mature and new Maria sounded too "little girl."  Both Draculas were menacing, but I prefer new Dracula because he had more aristocratic smoothness along with the menace.

Partially because of nostalgia, I kinda prefer the old "so bad it's good" voice acting over the new voice acting, which is competent yet very plain vanilla and not at all memorable.

Still, Grandia 1's voice acting, stuffy nosed knight and all, is gold compared to the trainwreck that is 2008's Chaos Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bangt7d9vGA
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:09:06 AM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
I also hope in the first Grandia they make the compass more useful (like in Grandia II), since I found it easy to get lost in dungeons at times,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you got lost because there is barely enough room to slip a sheet of paper in between the camera and characters.  It's undoubtedly annoying to repeatedly lose the sense of where you are in a dungeon, simply because you can't see much around the party.
..but hey, at least the two or three enemy varieties present can see you from further away, which helps them consistently get the much-needed drop on you. That's pretty awesome. Also, the zoom out viewpoints that twist the camera (unless you stick to the default position at all times) while performing their function are extremely helpful.
Nothing quite like trying to disguise tedium as difficulty, Game Arts.

Yes, I have gripes with that game. To be fair, I enjoyed the characters, and the battle system is top notch. Never played the second, although it's waiting in my Steam library, because I like sales.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »
I always wished that other rpgs would take grandia's battle system and refine/push it forward. I always loved it.

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »
I always wished that other rpgs would take grandia's battle system and refine/push it forward. I always loved it.
I think Atelier Iris 2 and Child of Light did Grandia-esque battle systems well.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 07:17:25 PM »
Analagous situation:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's voice acting:  Playstation original vs PSP redux (with Dracula X Chronicles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIQCrVUrZU

Which do you prefer?

For me,
Spoiler: show
 original Alucard definitely had the superior voice to new Alucard and both had equivalent acting.  Both Richters were lousy, but old Richter was memorably cheesy.  Original Maria sounded too mature and new Maria sounded too "little girl."  Both Draculas were menacing, but I prefer new Dracula because he had more aristocratic smoothness along with the menace.

Partially because of nostalgia, I kinda prefer the old "so bad it's good" voice acting over the new voice acting, which is competent yet very plain vanilla and not at all memorable.

Still, Grandia 1's voice acting, stuffy nosed knight and all, is gold compared to the trainwreck that is 2008's Chaos Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bangt7d9vGA
I think new Richter is mediocre, not lousy.

As awesome as it is to see these games coming out for the Nintendo Switch, I would much prefer seeing them on the Playstation 4. 

On the issue of localization, in the case of the original Grandia, it was published by SCEA.  I doubt they would license the original localization to Gung-Ho Entertainment so it can be released on a competing platform.  In all likelihood, they will have to relocalize the entire game complete with re-recording new voice acting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:56:53 PM by MonCapitan2002 »

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
So there is hope of the burly knight sounding knightly and not like some dude with a stuffy nose.
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 01:37:24 PM »
I actually would prefer them to leave the voices the way they are.

I'm so used to them at this point, it would seem weird having new ones.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.