Author Topic: Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for PS4 and Switch

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for PS4 and Switch
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 02:00:44 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/01/langrisser-i-iis-original-characters-by-satoshi-urushihara-compared-to-modern-new-looks/

Bumping this for a more in-depth side by side comparison of the principle cast.

Poor Leon got the worst of the redesigns (he now looks like a kid borrowing his dad's armor), lmao at Urushihara's version of Betty and her armor piercing anatomy (and how its a far cry better than Nagi's verion), and thankfully Nagi looks to have more or less glossed over the bulk of the older male cast (Volkoff seems to have gotten the worst of it there) and Hein.

Otherwise its still the 90% pauldron size reduction, on top of reduced armor/clothing, and rearranged male BMI/female measurements.

Hopefully, Sony's recent policy enforcement policy doesn't kibosh our chances of seeing this outside of Japan.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 03:53:14 AM »
What a coincidence, my copy of Der Langrisser just arrived...I'm still not fond of the new designs (I'm not a fan of Nagi's character art in general. I like his mechanical designs in games like Ar Tonelico, though), but I still might get the Switch version if it ever comes out in North America, and doesn't screw up the mechanics. I like this series a lot, it just hasn't been treated well lately...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:54:50 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »
I am amused and amazed that every single female character who has been redesigned has less clothing.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
I'd actually say the cheesecake level was about the same, except when you get to Lushiris which is fucking hilarious given her role.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 06:58:06 AM »
I'd actually say the cheesecake level was about the same, except when you get to Lushiris which is fucking hilarious given her role.

I'd say that Jessica is showing off a whole lot more as well (though not as much as in her Tensei Tensei appearance), which is also utterly hilarious given her own role (pun intended).

Although I will argue that Imelda definitely has more added to her (probably to help hold up all that silicone Nagi injected into her character design).

daved

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »
I'm a Growlanser fan but have never played Warsong / Langrisser.  Too bad it seems like everyone says the 3DS installment is no good.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »
It looks like Betty and Cherie's designs actually got better, which is amazing.  But as expected, the rest of the female cast just got worse.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 05:15:25 AM »
20 minutes of gameplay.

So...I gotta say my first impressions are kinda mixed already. The graphics are clean and colorful at least, but the sprite art is pretty bad. The battle scenes are lacking their usual impact because once again for some reason they decided they didn't want the sprites bumping up against each other. What's with all the recent Langrisser games not understanding this? At least it doesn't look as laughable as Double Reincarnation though. Map animations are equally unimpressive and are way too slow which can probably get pretty grating after a while.

More important is the gameplay though- for some reason they decided to take away the simple straightforward "everyone has 10 HP" system that's basically signature for the series. Making the numbers bigger just makes things more annoying to assess at a glance. To be fair the mobile game does this too, but I don't get why they wouldn't stick to it. The maps are largely the same but seem to be slightly edited in some cases- for example, Chapter 4 of Langrisser II is shown at the end, and the map seems narrower and the enemies are clumped together a bit more. An attempt to make the map smaller I guess? Probably won't change all that much here, but it does make me wonder how they might have changed some other maps so it has that going for it.

I'll probably still check it out when its released, but when its all said and done I wouldn't be surprised if I still preferred playing the PS/Saturn remakes of the games instead of this. There's something wrong when the gachashit version of the franchise being made by a company not even in the same country somehow seems to nail it much better than an official remake. Hopefully if someone brights it over here they won't get the same people translating it as the mobage though, the English script there is a disaster.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:17:36 AM by Hathen »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 03:25:53 PM »
^ The sprite art DOES look very "mobile", unfortunately.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 04:50:18 AM »
More important is the gameplay though- for some reason they decided to take away the simple straightforward "everyone has 10 HP" system that's basically signature for the series. Making the numbers bigger just makes things more annoying to assess at a glance. To be fair the mobile game does this too, but I don't get why they wouldn't stick to it.

Why would they do this? This is almost Shadow Dragon levels of remaking too much while missing the point. At least they're willing to edit some of the maps to maybe not be as clunky as they could've been in the original, so they have that over FE's remakes (aside from Shadow Dragon's original remake on the SFC). But the question remains of whether they should be altering the games to that degree or if they even know how.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 12:04:18 AM »
So the game's coming out in about 2 days on the JP side, and some random info I've found:

*Class trees and class advancement apparently aren't automatically something you get at level 10, but rather you gain Class Points through battle that you spend to change and advance classes with.

*There's a skill system in the game, examples include pretty simple effects like DEF+5, DEF+10 and Troop DEF Modifier +5%. It's pretty simple, with only 2 slots per character.

*There's a scenario map in-game, though this was a feature in the previous remakes already IIRC

*Story forks are present for Langrisser I, a first for the franchise, and its possible this is where Betty fits into the story

That last point alone is something that might get me to shell out for this version. Just need to pray for that localization now.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »
There's also a pretty neat trophy list for the PS 4 version.  Still not enough of an incentive to buy it, though.  I plan to wait until reviews are in.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP