Author Topic: Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for PS4 and Switch

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Langrisser 1 and 2 remakes for PS4 and Switch
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
I disagree as I think they did a good job with the Danganronpa games.  I might pick this up as I think the Limited Edition version of the game looks appealing with all the soundtrack CD's.  Having never played the originals, this would be a new experience for me, which is a plus.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 03:35:03 AM »
Coming into this conversation a little late, but I'm super excited for the NA release. I've been playing the Langrisser mobile game daily since a few days after launch, and I enjoyed the "demakes" of Langrisser 1 and 2 you can play through it, so I'm really excited for the full games. Does anyone know if the feature to switch to the original character art will be included in the NA release? I frankly don't care for the artwork by the Ar Tonelico character designer and much prefer the character designs in the mobile game.

Also, soundtrack CDs would be a great addition. Some of the music on the mobile game is garbage, but a lot of the music is quite good. I've watched some of the gameplay footage for Langrisser 1 and 2 and recognize a lot of the music, so I guess that means the mobile game's good music is from the originals.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 03:43:07 AM »
Currently there's been no news of whether the original Urushihara art will be available in our version of the game. However, I did notice that the preorder collector's edition has a soundtrack that has the Urushihara art on it, so I have to imagine they got the rights for it or something?

As I understand it the Japanese version only had the original art in their collector's edition (a very odd way to go about it IMO), but how/if we'll get it is still up in the air.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
Well, hopefully we'll get some good news about the original art. I'll get it regardless, but I'll be pretty bummed if we can't get the original artwork. I hope this collection does well. I'd love to get a full re-release of the other Langrisser games as well. I've been making my way through the Langrisser III de-make on Langrisser mobile and it seems really excellent.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »
A part of me really wants to get this game.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
In somewhat related news, the Langrisser mobile game just started a crossover with the Sakura Wars series. Only three SW characters available at this point and they've yet to add any kind of story content, but that's probably because the Overlord path from Langrisser II is still ongoing. I enjoyed the previous crossover with Trails in the Sky though I do hope any battles they include in the story content for the Sakura Wars crossover contain fewer annoying gimmicks than the battles during the Trails in the Sky crossover did. Those later battles got super annoying and I stopped playing them.

Also, I'm sure people have noted this before, but how exactly is Sakura from Sakura Wars not considered copyright infringement of Kaoru from RuroKen? Not that I want to throw the author of RuroKen a bone or anything, but seriously how?

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »
For the mobile game there's info on what's coming about 6 months ahead because the Global release basically just plays catchup to the original Chinese server with a couple QoL features being introduced earlier (leading to things like the shoddy translation having copy-pasta'd patch notes even when it makes no sense, like the latest one claiming that the Eternal Temple would gain Secret Realm Blessing when that's been in the Global version, along with sweeps, for like 2 months now). The Sakura Wars crossover is only going to have the 3 characters (Sakura/Sumire/Iris), and the story event is coming right after the Overlord event ends. It's already known that in a few months we're getting a different crossover:

Code: [Select]
Yu Yu Hakusho
Which really hammers home the image that the Langrisser Mobile devs really enjoy their 90s games/anime, hah.

While the challenge maps (basically all the ones that give the controller currency) are almost always insanely difficult, at least they learned to make it so that the main story of the event uses preset units, so that means they're solvable for everyone without being locked out because you didn't grind up a specific character or whatever. The current Overlord event in particular has by far the hardest challenge maps yet. It's a mixed blessing- it's nice to have super hard endgame content for longer-term players, but I don't think it's healthy for the game to gate limited currency like the controllers behind it. They should just give cosmetic rewards or something so you can show off how you beat the hardest content in the game.

As for Sakura vs Kaoru, I'm really not seeing the lawsuit level of similarity. I can see arguing they're the same sort of character archetype, but ultimately they both just seem like they're drawn from the typical Japanese Yamato Nadeshiko ideal.

Also oh yeah I guess this thread is about that Switch remake. FTR I've preordered the special edition myself, so if any of you are on the fence and totally value my awesome opinion I'll be sure to give some impressions of it when I get my hands on it.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 08:42:40 PM »
I heard about the upcoming crossover and saw some video of it. Looks fun, but the crossovers are merely cash grabs by offering limited time summons. I enjoy them, but aside from $50 I spent over the summer to support the devs, I'm not spending money to try to snag the summons.

You're definitely right about the main, limited-time stories using preset characters. It was so frustrating during some of the earlier story events that I could only get so far without paying boat-loads of money. I've finally reached a point where I can complete some of the level 60 challenge maps, but it has taken a long time to get here. The level 65 stuff is still out of my reach. My top five heroes just hit the 23,000 power level mark. Also, I'm just really glad we got some Secret Realm sweeps. It's cut the time I've had the game on in half though to be fair I mostly just use auto-battle for that stuff.

As for Langrisser 1 and 2. I'm super-tempted to get the special edition version, my wife and I are stuck in a small, one-bedroom apartment until I finish the PhD and space is a premium. So I'm going to have to keep my game purchases largely digital for the foreseeable future. Still really looking forward to the collection, especially happy to get a chance to see all the paths and endings of Langrisser 2. I'm still struggling with the new character designs though.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »
Is this out yet?

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2019, 02:50:35 AM »
Early 2020.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 01:51:02 AM »
I looked today too because a friend somehow mixed these up with Trails in Cold Steel 3. Hopefully we'll get a firm date soon. I decided today that I'm done with Langrisser mobile, but I would still jump at the chance to play the full versions of Langrisser 1 and 2. I'm a bit disappointed since I've stopped playing the Langrisser 3 demake in the mobile game approximately halfway through, but I don't want to spend the money or go to the effort of grinding to make more progress. Maybe if the Langrisser 1 and 2 remake does well they'll do a Langrisser 3 remake, but I obviously won't hold my breath. So far though I'd say it is the best in the series.