Author Topic: The Last Remnant will not be sold anymore either digitally or physically

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
A new announcement is made in the steam page of the game :https://steamcommunity.com/games/23310/announcements/detail/1709566654679120493

Basically you won't be able to get this amazing game anymore after the 4th September, the best PC port that SquareEnix ever made, will be gone, this really made me sad.
NPC: There's nothing wrong with drinking! And so what if my liver gives out? I always have a spare!

Nal: Uh...are you thinking about kidneys ?

NPC: Oh, yeah..Well, I guess I'm screwed. - Lunar: Silver Story

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Part of me hopes that this means that they're doing something with TLR again (mayhap a TLR remaster for the P-Switch; not that their SoM PS4 port fills me with anything more than fear and/or loathing towards any of their 'remasters'), but part of me feels that this is Squeenix being money grubbing fucks again (or perhaps yet another lesson in licensing issues).

Either way, I'm none too happy since this is a blow to both PC gaming (although Steam has been asking for it for awhile) and retro gaming (and yet another example of the Aughts being a fucking wasteland), but I'm also none too phased since IIRC, I'm already a proud owner of a Steam Key for TLR.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
@Aeolus The thing is, the TLR PC port is already a Remaster of the Xbox360 version, and when I say remaster I mean it, this wasn't just a port, they changed so much gameplay elements for the better, added so many features and extra content, gameplay balance, bug fixes, all the DLCs,  turbo mode,  and even a New game+ and hard difficulty modes.

But it's probably as you said, it's most likely for licensing issues, because if they are so stupid as to do this because they just want more money from the new version they are releasing on the switch am gonna lose the very last bit of respect i have for SE.
NPC: There's nothing wrong with drinking! And so what if my liver gives out? I always have a spare!

Aeolus

• View Profile
@Aeolus The thing is, the TLR PC port is already a Remaster of the Xbox360 version, and when I say remaster I mean it, this wasn't just a port, they changed so much gameplay elements for the better, added so many features and extra content, gameplay balance, bug fixes, all the DLCs,  turbo mode,  and even a New game+ and hard difficulty modes.

But it's probably as you said, it's most likely for licensing issues, because if they are so stupid as to do this because they just want more money from the new version they are releasing on the switch am gonna lose the very last bit of respect i have for SE.

I wouldn't call the PC version a remaster so much as the complete edition since it was far more the case that the 360 version was a butchered hack job necessary to fit it on the 'then aging' 360.

Which again, is the primary reason as to why this news pisses me off so much. Its another case of the gaming industry being blind to its own cultural significance, as well as further devaluing creative talent in this already hyper capitalistic society.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Note to self, buy The Last Remnant immediately.  If this version is so superior, I want it.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
I've heard mixed things about this game and am not sure if I want to play it or not.

Aeolus

• View Profile
I've heard mixed things about this game and am not sure if I want to play it or not.

Of course you're going to hear mixed things about it. It's a SaGa game with a different name and an even more obfuscated combat system than your typical SaGa game (not that much more mind, its far more of a case of marching to a different drum beat; kinda like the DDS games compared to mainline SMT).

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
It's a SaGa game.
@Aeolus O_O...Tell me more, please.

Limlight

• View Profile
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant_Wiki_-_The_Last_Remnant_Guide

take 20 min and look around, the wiki is really done well and there is a lot of info, it even dives into how stats are increased (want more hp? take more dmg in a fight, want more str? attack/weapon arts, int? mystic arts. How do I increase exp ranks on skill (like item) use said skills/abilities often) that's just the simplified version there's things like BR (battle rank) and how it effects enemy stats. It's a ton of info but just play the game if you find it interesting and you'll figure it out (with the wiki's help). Some of us older fans still patrol the gamefaq's board and answer questions (it's not toxic at all, they're very helpful).

This game has always been one of those (forgive me aladdin) diamonds in the rough. I've done a ton of playthroughs (there's so many team members to choose from, some are better than others but you can beat the game with generic units if you plan things right). It always saddened me that there wasn't another made but it just didn't sell well enough :(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:28:13 AM by Limlight »

Aeolus

• View Profile
This game has always been one of those (forgive me aladdin) diamonds in the rough. I've done a ton of playthroughs (there's so many team members to choose from, some are better than others but you can beat the game with generic units if you plan things right). It always saddened me that there wasn't another made but it just didn't sell well enough :(

To be fair, this is Squeenix we're talking about here. We're lucky it got made at all, given how voracious the Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts money pits were to the rest of Squeenix's IP catalog.

See also: The Mana series, SaGa up until recently (I think Furyu getting into making their own SaGa games, with Blackjack and Hookers planned in their shoestring budget, might have been the spur into their recent efforts), their gripes about Tomb Raider's sale numbers, anything to do with Front Mission (and I'm not just talking about their latest attempt at 'FM except also completely different', but also their earlier 'FM except also completely different'), Bravely Default's surprise to Squeenix that there are JRPG enthusiasts outside of Japan, their continued employment of companies such as Level 5, Matrix Software and Tokyo Factory, the Edidos IP purgatory hole, and so on....

It's a SaGa game.
@Aeolus O_O...Tell me more, please.

The main differences between TLR and your typical SaGa experience, is that A) you do not control a team of characters, but rather a small army of brigades made of characters, and B) that you also don't exactly control said brigades (as in you can issue them orders, but it requires characters to have the stats/inclination to want to perform said action; i.e. sending a team of healers to heal a team that's been beaten on might still not happen; hell, you might not even get the option to issue a healing order in the first place).

Beyond those elements, it more or less follows a number of the same beats, such as having hidden Battle Ranks that rise as you battle, a variety of characters (many of whom are actually pretty cool and/or good) with hidden proficiencies, recruitment requirements, availability, etc., a plot that's largely serviceable but not the primary focus, with the main plot macguffins being Artifacts that are scattered all over the place with the MC being the son of an Artifact researcher, and so on. Although I'm so sure how open ended it is due to the battle mechanics being so different (its a lot more SRPG-ish than TB-RPG).

RPG-Man

• That Guy
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Remnant will not be sold anymore either digitally or physically
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »
Well guess there is no need to guess anymore, they are releasing a remastered version on the PS4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k3o-ydsF74.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »
Yeah. Fucking hell. I can't wait to see what kind of lazy, phoned in, cavalcade of bugs and spaghetti code this mess will turn out to be......

......Eh. To be fair, most of their remasters have so far been simple up-rez jobs that don't break things nearly as badly as SoM PS4 did (then again, it took 5 additional stabs at doing a decent remaster for Chrono Trigger, and this game doesn't have near the fanbase that it does).

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 12:56:06 AM »
I don't see why anyone who has the PC version would get the new version.
This game has many problems but graphics are at the very bottom of the list.

I'd say I'm hoping they fix the bad design choices everywhere in the game, but I have no faith in SE putting in effort in a remaster.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 01:13:46 AM »
Chances are it isn't even going to look good.

At best we'll see some 4k textures on some of the principle characters with higher poly count models to match, at worst, the textures will be uprez'd to 4k on some of the principle characters, but will be poorly retextured onto the untouched 3D models of the 360 version. Its gonna be really fucking lazy, no matter the outcome though.

I also fully expect Unreal 3 > 4 physics bugs that'll never get ironed out without a PC release.

Meanwhile, Squeenix also announced a Crystal Chronicles remaster recently as well.

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-edition-announced-for-ps4-switch

They essentially have one fucking job in regards to this. Watch them lazily fuck it up as well.

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 02:10:35 AM »
I won't dispute anything you guys have said about it, but it still makes me a little happy that TLR got a remaster. It will probably have technical issues (I'll hold off buying to see some video but if there aren't any i'll support it and buy a copy even though I have the pc version). Maybe i'm just a sucker for games that the majority don't like.