Author Topic: Completion List 2019

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Completion List 2019
« on: January 18, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
I have not completed any games in 2019. But someone, somewhere has.  This is as good a spot as any to mark them down.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
Re: Completion List 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PlayStation 3)
God Eater Resurrection
Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »
Final 2018 list:

1. OFF
2. Chroma Squad
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
4. Batman: The Telltale Series
5. Monster Hunter World
6. Batman: The Enemy Within
7. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
9. Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
12. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
13. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
14. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
15. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
16. Pokemon Moon
17. Pokemon Black
18. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
19. Suikoden II
20. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
21. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
22. Mega Man 11
23. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
24. Mega Man X
25. Pokemon Soul Silver
26. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

2019 list:

1. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix

I didn't finish all of my 2018 gaming goals, but I did replay a bunch of Zeldas and finally got around to Suikoden II, so I'll call it a decent year for the ol' backlog.  On to 2019! 

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »
Started the new year by beating Lego the Hobbit. I liked that it took some gameplay and design ques from the lotr entry. A shame the remainder of the story wasn't included in the game. I also had some difficulty differentiating between some of the dwarves.

Did another run of Fire Emblem Awakening. Paired the avatar with Cordelia this time.

This week I played through Lego Star Wars Complete. My favourite level from the prequels was droid factory and as for the original trilogy it would be the duel against Darth Vader.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:25:17 PM »
So far in 2019 I've beaten the Dusk trilogy: Ateliers Ayesha, Escha&Logy, Shallie. All "Plus" versions (Vita).

Not sure what will come next. Probably Octopath.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »
So far in 2019 I've beaten the Dusk trilogy: Ateliers Ayesha, Escha&Logy, Shallie. All "Plus" versions (Vita).

And here I was just thinking that maybe I should TRY Atelier Rorona again.  IDK.  I have a hard time with anime games. '^__^

Octopath is an excellent choice, my man.  Please do so.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 07:16:51 PM »
Beat South Park the Stick of Truth this Saturday afternoon. This game was fanservice done right as I was overloaded with memorable references to the show. Some of the abilities you could pull off were cool and the same goes for your party members. As a con I'd say I had difficulty with some of the quick time events especially the Simon says minigames on the spaceship. Also visiting Canada was cool as they made my home country look like an 8-bit rpg.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:40 PM »
1. Octopath Traveler

Well.  That was an RPG.

I don't know if I can say anything about this game that hasn't already been repeated ad nauseum over the last 6 months.  So I'll just say this:
- GOAT soundtrack
- GOAT visuals
- Incredibly fun gameplay
I absolutely adored every minute of the 102 hours I put into this game.  The characters are well-realized and fun, the travel banter between them is really quite fantastic.  And I just couldn't get enough of the towns and NPC interactions.  Every new town felt like a treasure: new HD2D vistas to drool over and a ton more NPCs to talk to, barter with, recruit, etc.  Brilliant concepts with brilliant execution.

The only criticisms I have is that it could have used EVEN MOAR job classes with better balance (instead of "here are some post-game jobs that are a million times better than what you've been using for 60 hours") and the overall plot.
Now, the plot isn't bad, it's just very small.  Each character chapter was incredibly well written and compelling, they were all just very very short.  Interesting characters would be introduced, and then gone in 30-60 minutes, never to be seen (in the main plot) again.  And as fantastically-written as the Travel Banter was, it was incredibly sparse, especially when compared to other $60 RPGs like Dragon Quest XI.  This kind of inter-character dialogue is far more essential to character building and making emotional connections with your cast than the main plot points are, so Octopath could have used quite a lot more of it.  Still, what we had, I loved.

Final Score: 9/10

Up Next: Dragon Quest XI
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
1. Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix
2. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
3. Kirby: Planet Robobot
4. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
5. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
6. Timespinner
7. Devil May Cry 5
8. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Feel pretty good about what I've played so far on the year!  Standouts so far are Timespinner and DMC5 (both of which I adored), and don't feel bad about any of these really.  I didn't love Kingdom Hearts (no surprises there), but I'm particularly glad I finally crossed that one off my list after giving up on my first playthrough 15+ years ago. 

Up next: I'm near the end of Super Mario World (having this unplayed is one of my greatest gaming shames), which I'm playing on a SNES Classic.  I'm also about 15-20 hours into Octopath Traveler (finished 8 Chapter 1's and 1 Chapter 2), about halfway through a replay of Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and BARELY started The Last Guardian.  Want to have all four of those done by the end of April. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:18:32 AM by Monsoon »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 09:20:31 AM »
1) Megadimension Neptunia VII – FINALLY took out the brainwashed CPUs, after grinding about 10 levels or so (after I said doing exactly so wouldn’t work). I was still lucky, in the sense that they didn’t use too many specials. They probably still would have wiped me out had they spammed them. I went on to finish the game, which was a cakewalk in comparison to that battle.
Overall, a decent, but repetitive RPG. Almost too much micromanaging. The battles are well animated, and can be fun. I don’t know anything about the series itself, so I assume I would have enjoyed the story more had that been the case...

2) Infamous: Second Son – The best Infamous yet, even if the main character is near-insufferable. The controls feel a bit wonky, but it was easy enough to become acclimated. Neon power is my favorite. I had fun.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »

And here I was just thinking that maybe I should TRY Atelier Rorona again.  IDK.  I have a hard time with anime games. '^__^

Octopath is an excellent choice, my man.  Please do so.

Yeah, you were totally right about Octopath. I went in HARD and it blew my mind. I'm pretty sure I did ... ALL the things. But with rumors of a PC port coming, I may end up doing it all again. Because it was that good.

Meanwhile, I've also sunk a stupid amount of time into Langrisser Mobile (mostly for the "Time Rift" mode where I'm playing officially localized versions of Langrisser I, II/Der, and III campaigns ... and word is they're working on IV and V).

I also cleared Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly, and I just DL'ed "Episode Ardyn" for FFXV, hoping it makes for a decent farewell to a game I loved more than most people seemed to.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
Beat South Park the Fractured but Whole today.

I'm probably in the minority but I think I enjoyed this one more than the stick of Truth. While the combat felt slower than SOT I was really surprised the game had grid based battles and many characters made good use of this approach. Some of my favourite characters to use include Jimmy and Wendy. I don't seem to get why some reviewers said the game wasn't as funny as the first since I found a lot to laugh at such as the drunk Randy Marsh boss battles and spotting microaggressions. Other stuff I liked about the game were the fart abilities, puzzles and the fact the town of South Park felt bigger.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 06:17:27 PM »
1 Xanadu Next

that is all

pathetic

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »
What the heck have you been DOING with your life, @Rucks ??

Glad you loved Octopath, @Ramza .  I'm still stuck between it and DQXI for my 2018 GOTY.  I'm extremely curious about this "port" rumor, as well as the mobile prequel we've been teased with.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 12:48:14 AM »
1 Xanadu Next

that is all

pathetic

just beat Bioshock.  VERY good FPS (though, outside of the Halo series my experience in that genre is limited).