• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Completion List 2019
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
1. Octopath Traveler

2. The Witness

It isn't an RPG, but this is a Completion List and Wife and I just completed this last night.  And I have to say, beating this game without a guide is one of my proudest gaming moments.  This is an intensely difficult puzzle game that doesn't explain anything to the player.  Rather, it gives you information through trial and error, allowing you to solve its puzzles completely under your own brain power.  Each new set of puzzles or rules brings with it small epiphanies; realizations that things aren't what you thought or what they were previously.  And it culminates in one of the craziest "ah ha!" moments I've ever had in gaming, when the setting and mechanics of the game are suddenly opened up to the player in a way never before conceived, even though nothing within the game has itself changed.  Only the player's perspective has changed.  And that's what The Witness is really all about.

As is usual for Jonathan Blow, the designer of this game, essentially none of the story potential of the game world is realized.  Everything begins ambiguously, becomes more interesting but no more clear as you play, then ends ambiguously.  Frustrating?  Yes.  Pretentious?  Yes.  But even that is by design; The Witness uses your frustration with its ending as a roadblock to its "true" ending.  If you overcome your feelings and assumptions, the game rewards you.  It's still not wholly satisfying, but it is undeniably fascinating.

I honestly can't recommend this game enough, even moreso as a multiplayer venture.  The game presents itself as essentially the biggest, longest escape room ever devised, so it's far better with more than one person playing it at once.  But even if you do the whole thing by yourself, you'll come away feeling incredibly proud of yourself, as long as you persevere.

Final Score: 9/10
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »
1. Octopath Traveler
2. The Witness

3. Super Mario Bros.
Wife and I used our Sunday to start and finish this while enjoying paleo-compliant pizza.  Played and beat every level, no warping, and rescued the Princess (thank you, save states).  Dis game hard.  If I had to guess I would say we would have needed around 25 lives, all told.

Final Score: ??/??
For real, how do you score SMB?  No idea.  It's great.  And old.  And wonky.  And feels weird with any non-NES controller.  But still amazing.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
I got the normal ending in Wargroove today. Will attempt to get the best possible ending in the future. For now I can say I was very pleased with the game. I felt it really filled my Advance Wars void since there hasn't been an entry in that series for 11 years. Most of the units were basically equivalents from AW but a lot of them were quite balanced. Rangers, for example I found to be an improvement over artillery as they could move and attack as well as target aerial units. Regarding other gameplay elements I liked the fact fortifications had hp, commanders could participate in battle and some of the grooves were quite original. Solid turn based strategy through and through.

As an extra note I'd say the review on this site was spot on!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:48:35 PM by Greganox »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 11:32:17 PM »
1 Xanadu Next
2 Bioshock
3 Beyond Good and Evil - fantastic (and very short) little gem. Great lead character and setting in an interesting world. Lots of puzzles.  Though the storyline was a bit confusing in the end.  All in all good times.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »
That reminds me that the BG&E sequel has, unsurprisingly, disappeared from the video game cognoscenti.  The overwhelmingly negative response to what was revealed about it years ago really did my heart good.

More of BG&E 1, though, would be nothing but good.  I've only been low-key hoping for it for like two decades now.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 10:31:29 PM »
Played through Trine 2 again this weekend. I've beaten the base game a couple times but now I've completed Goblin Menace which I picked up for super cheap at Steam's Summer sale. This is one series I've been trying to convince some of my friends to get into.

This game along with its predecessor is the puzzle-platformer genre at its best. The base game is a great experience yet I found Goblin Menace to have a superb amount of creativity and variety despite boasting about half the levels. Either cloudy isles or belly of the beast stand as my favourite level in this expansion.