Author Topic: Your favourite powerful weapons

Greganox

• View Profile
Your favourite powerful weapons
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
The first topic I created when I joined this website was dedicated to the nice weapons you get at the early portions of the games we play. Now I want to hear about games on the opposite side of the spectrum, the busted, legendary and overpowered ones.

My top pick would have to be Forseti from Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War. In this entry holy weapons provide enormous stat bonuses often at a grand total of 30 unlike most games where its about 5. The +20 boost to speed and +10 skill ensures that the wielder will activate the adept and critical skills quite frequently. The huge boost to speed amplifies the avoid stat to the point that some enemies will not even bother to attack the Forseti wielder. I've lost track of how many enemies particularly bosses were one hit ko'd by this weapon. Lastly, the weapon triangle advantage against thunder is also quite helpful since many enemy mages use it and several major antagonists specialize in it.

I look forward to hearing eveyone else's picks. I'm sure you guys can think of superb and even more op examples.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite powerful weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 05:30:16 AM »
FFT's Excalibur comes to mind. Granted its not the *most powerful* weapon in the game (and ultimately not even close as Nagarok hits 50 Atk versus Excalibur's meager 24), but built in auto-Haste is a gamebreaker in a game full of gamebreakers and 24 Atk is still solid, especially since its a Knight Sword and thus is usable by some of the most busted characters in the game.

FFVI's Atma/Ultima Weapon is another good example due to the fact that it grows with you over the game and looks stylish as fuck once it hits full power.

That being said, most legendary weapons are generally not that interesting in JRPGs either by consequence of only being the next step in a long chain of weapon upgrades (which usually comes in at a point where getting to the 'next step' is either thoroughly unimpressive or even a downgrade to more busted options like multi-hitting weapons (Uber Falcon Blades in a DQ game come to mind)), or because the game can't even start until you get it (Sword of Mana anyone?).

If a Legendary weapon is mechanically interesting in a JRPG its either because its gamebreakingly good (i.e. your example) or because slumming it with anything else was just that bad (I refer to an obscure JRPG called Sword of Hope (or Selection I in Japan) for this).

FFV's sealed weapons are a fair example of the above. Most of the 12 weapons that you get from that questline end up either being the Job's penultimate weapon, if that, or the top tier weapon in a Job that you shouldn't be swinging weapons around in the first place. Only a few of them have added effects worthy enough of delivering on their status (like Masamune's high Crit rate). Not that some of them don't get used anyways (as coming up with 8 top tier weapons for the endgame is a bit of a tall order).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »
Aeolus took all the best choices, so I'll go with more recent stuff.

Ryoma's ridiculously OP katana in FE Fates, comes to mind.  And currently, I am dual-wielding Falcon Blades in DQXI with my Crit chance boosted as high as I can atm, so that's been a lot of fun.

I will say, though, for classic games, even though it isn't an RPG, improving the Master Sword all the way to Golden Sword in Link to the Past always felt absolutely wonderful.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
The Devils Arms from Tales of Xillia are pretty OP once powered up.  I still need to plat that game.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »
I tend not to pay attention to weapons and RPGs and don't particularly have a favorite.

By the way, MonCap, Star Trek isn't fucking dead, you ass. You obviously haven't fucking seen Discovery, and news reports indicate the Kelvin timeline is dead.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 08:22:29 PM »
I will say, though, for classic games, even though it isn't an RPG, improving the Master Sword all the way to Golden Sword in Link to the Past always felt absolutely wonderful.
I was glad you could do the same thing in a Link Between Worlds.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 08:48:06 PM »
I was glad you could do the same thing in a Link Between Worlds.

Even if the methodology wasn't quite as interesting (though at least one of the required Ores was located outside of a dungeon).

Not a legendary weapon per say, but Beam Stacking was never as much fun as in Super Metroid (even though Plasma + Charge was all you needed for maximum power), especially since the Hyper Beam was an even bigger gun.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 10:10:18 PM »
I tend not to pay attention to weapons and RPGs and don't particularly have a favorite.

By the way, MonCap, Star Trek isn't fucking dead, you ass. You obviously haven't fucking seen Discovery, and news reports indicate the Kelvin timeline is dead.

I'm quite sick of your 0-100 bad attitude. Goodbye dude.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 07:26:10 PM »
I think in your other topic I had said the Eternal Sphere from Star Ocean 2... which is still a valid answer.
Other than that though:

Mastermune from Chrono Cross with its insane hit/crit chance is another one.
It makes every other weapon is the game look tame.
Even the Twin Einlanzers can't hold a candle to it.

Dragon's Tooth from Deus Ex is another crazy powerful one.
Kills most bosses in 1 hit, and 2-3 on the hardest ones.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
Oooh, Mastermune.  Awesome choice.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 12:52:11 AM »
I was wondering how long you'd let DerJer carry on (despite how quiet this place has gotten)...

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 07:42:37 AM »
I definitely is quiet, sadly.  I just saw his flame aimed at me.

Squall's ultimate weapon in Final Fantasy VIII was pretty OP.  Not so much for its stats but because of the finishing move to his limit break.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 06:45:48 PM »
One major detail I forgot to add in my opening post was Forseti's great availability. If you follow a certain popular pairing you have access to the weapon from chapter 4 onwards and it will also be the first holy weapon to debut in the second generation.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 04:44:48 AM »
Yeah. Not a lot of Legendary Weapons show up that early in a game (and the ones that do like FE4's Gae Bolg tend to suck as a bonus).

But hey, on that metric you've got SO2's Eternal Sphere. Its not a 'legendary' weapon per say, but Claude's ultimate weapon coming to you late into Disk 1 and offers some hilarious times (even if you get railroaded by unwinnable boss fights until well into Disk 2 which kinda makes the effort less than worth it).

Also reiterating FFVIII's Lionheart, which can also be obtained by Disk 1 (and of a 4 Disk game instead of a 2 Disk one).

The Master Sword also routinely shows up by a Zelda's midgame (alternatively you can beeline it or totally ignore it in BotW). And some times its the best you're going to get (OoT comes immediately to mind). I mean technically Skyward Sword hands what is effectively the Master Sword to you within a hour of game time, but you need to get to the other end of the game before it evolves into the True Master Sword (and then NG+ it to further evolve it into the True Master Sword+), and that kinda doesn't count (its the same principle as to why Inuyasha's Tetsusaiga doesn't/shouldn't count since he gets that by like Episode 5 in a series stretching a full goddamn decade and spends the vast majority of that run time looking for various upgrades to it, many of dubious value at best).