Author Topic: Your favourite Dragon Quest game

Gregosa

• View Profile
Your favourite Dragon Quest game
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »
Well here's a long-running classic role-playing series I'm sure a lot of us have played. I'm interested in knowing the community's top picks for this beloved series.

I was a latecomer to the series starting with IX for the DS back in 2010. I was instantly hooked finding myself carefully investing in skillpoints, crafting lots of great gear in the alchemy pot, questing and having a good time with the class system. Other games would soon follow.

The next entry I played would also happen to be my top pick, Dragon Quest VIIII Journey of the Cursed King. In terms of presentation I really liked the cel-shaded graphics for a PS2 game and the orchestral soundtrack( if we're talking international version) was such a joy to listen to. As for gameplay I really enjoyed most of the dungeons(i.e. dragon graveyard), boss fights, unleashing high tension during tough fights,concentration on a small cast of characters, recruiting monsters and the fact just like in other entries you're curiosity to explore pays off big time. Similairly to IX, I liked crafting powerful gear such as the mid-game demon spear or reaching just the right amount of skillpoints in a character notably mp reductions for hero. While I don't think it has the best story in the series it was nice and simple to follow. Lastly, I do hope to check out the 3ds edition one day to check out the extra stuff added.

I recently played Dragon Quest 11 s and it did pose a serious contender for the top spot. Peps and forginging felt like proper evolutions of tension and alchemy pot. The cast was likable and balanced. Very overwhelming in terms of content and it awesome to visit past locations in DQ games.  Hits most of the right notes in crafting a classic style rpg.

So far I've played some form of 3-9 and 11. I do hope to check out some of the spinoffs one day especially the monsters series as I really liked recruiting monsters in 5 and 8.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite Dragon Quest game
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:54:10 PM »
5, 8, and 11 are technically the best in the series, but I'll always have a soft spot for DQ3 and DQ4, mostly because I experienced them blind, and so it was easily the purest RPG experience I've ever had.  It probably helped that I played the GBC and DS versions of both, so I got all the extra content and QoL improvements, so it never got annoying, and they were the perfect length, while the later ones often burn me out with their 60+ hour adventures.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
I played a few of the Nintendo DS ports of the earlier Dragon Quest games, Dragon Quest VII, Dragon Quest VIII, and Dragon Quest XI.  Of the games I played, the ones that stand out the most are Dragon Quests VIII & XI.  I though XI was overall a very well made game, but it still overstayed its welcome.  The third act, in particular felt like it recycled way too much content.  Moreover, if you go the completionist route, the final dungeon is a full recycling of an earlier one.  The game should've ended with the second act.

I never finished it, but I really did enjoy what I played of Dragon Quest VIII and would eagerly anticipate an HD remaster for the modern consoles and the Nintendo Switch.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Gregosa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »
I do agree with you guys that the length of some DQ games can be a burn out. I don't mind a game being a 20-30 hour adventure instead of 50+.

A remaster of DQ8 would be a dream come true.