Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:02:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341037 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Do you think the 360 could become an RPG Machine?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Do you think the 360 could become an RPG Machine?  (Read 11901 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 12:46:59 AM »

out of curiosity...am i the only one that just doesnt care about blue dragon? visuals that look like dragonball dont exactly inspire me,and thats basically all i know about the game. however what could get me to get an x-box 360 if they makes games similar to knights of the old republic. i got to play the first one this summer when i was house sitting for my brother and i enjoyed it a lot.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
exswoo

leew5@earthlink.net darkssama
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 12:57:24 AM »

Blue Dragon's pretty good, although a bit too old school for my tastes.

Think of it as a modernized FFV with DQ-eqsue graphics...unfortunately, more DQ7 than 8 :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2007, 01:14:17 AM »

What's that supposed to mean? Game hardly looks like shit, but it's not cel shaded so it's definitely not like DQVIII in that way.

And... Woojin?
exswoo

leew5@earthlink.net darkssama
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2007, 02:25:15 AM »

Hey Eusis, been a while :P

Whoops, sorry about the confusing comment.  I meant more like DQ7 than 8 in terms of the 'old school feel' of the game, not the graphics.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2007, 02:27:55 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
out of curiosity...am i the only one that just doesnt care about blue dragon? visuals that look like dragonball dont exactly inspire me,and thats basically all i know about the game. however what could get me to get an x-box 360 if they makes games similar to knights of the old republic. i got to play the first one this summer when i was house sitting for my brother and i enjoyed it a lot.

Bioware, the ones who developed KOTOR, are making a trilogy for the Xbox 360 called Mass Effect. Its the most hyped game for the Xbox 360 in 2007 besides Halo 3.

Here's a 720p english subtitled trailer for Blue Dragon
http://dl-bluedragon.durasite.net/bd_movie1_hd_en.mov

The job system is similar to FF5, and the combat is turn based with 5 characters at a time. You do all the normal RPG stuff, in addition to a few interactive abilities and the power to charge up attacks and abilities (And pass your turn). The turn system is also very FFX, where you see the order using pictures.

There's no random battles, you can attack enemies while exploring and get the pre-emptive strike when the battle starts, and vice versa. You can also fight multiple groups of enemies at once, to different effects (They may help each other, fight each other, etc)

It's basically a solid, promising RPG for Mistwalker's first venture before they start pumping out the 'different' games like ASH, Lost Odyssey, and Cry On. It's got an art style almost everyone can connect with, it's colorful and charming, and the story seems to be light-hearted in general. They made the battles a bit more fast paced than usual so its easier to play, and they're even releasing different difficulties for the game for free via Marketplace (For the actual game, and the schmup segments).
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 04:16:33 AM »

i dunno i thought DQ8 was pretty oldschool thats one of the reasons i hated it. i hate battle systems that just force you to trudge through and push your resources to the limit in between refill points like *cough*xenosaga3*cough*

also thanks for the info pertaining to mass effect and blue dragon . both sound interesting but i still have issues with the graphical style of BD.

blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 03:29:32 PM »

It's only a matter of time IMO.  Honestly, games are starting to be made with Hollywood budgets.  Not releasing them on all platforms has GOT to be hurting developer and publisher pockets.  

Oblivion proved that Microsoft could finally get an RPG right after the Morrowind flop.  And there are quite a few new age RPGs that seem to be making their way onto the box.  

Now the RPG elitists will probably argue that some of these games are not "real" RPGs...  Well, so be it.  As long as I have a game I enjoy, I really don't care to argue what genre it is.  

But I'm optimistic that it's only a matter of time before some really sharp RPGs start hitting 360.  I need something fresh anyway.  I haven't truly enjoyed RPGs since SNES anyway save a few gems like FF12, Oblivion and Shadow Hearts.

Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »

I agree with you Alisha about the style of Blue Dragon. I never really cared about things like that when it comes to games, where I believe that game play is the most important issue of all. But I have never been much for the style of Akira Toriyama in anything, because I feel like everything he draws looks exactly the same. Just compare his works and it's really obvious. And I could excuse that if the characters in question at least looked interesting, but the main characters in BD just makes my eyes bleed. It's like Toriyama was still drawing characters for Chrono Trigger. They're just boring.

As such, I highly doubt that I'm going to get a copy of it in the future. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Regarding the 360, I think it has the potential to get a nice library of RPG's in due time, but I'm still kinda skeptical. Mostly because of the Japanese market. If they don't get more sellers over there like BD, I don't really know how it's going to end up. But until there's at least a couple of reasons to buy a 360, Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata may becoming one of them, I'll wait it out.

I will find you. Without fail.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »

Yeah but most anime looks the same in general, its the outfits and hair that makes the characters distinct. Toriyama just has a more unique style than most, that's why its very distinct when he draws something. And I think it's absurd as a Gamer to dismiss a game because of it's art style. People did that with Zelda: Wind Waker and missed out, and it plagues great games like Okami with horrible sales.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2007, 04:43:32 PM »

Even if the 360 isnt a hit in Japan, I still think Japanese developers would be morons not to create some for the 360, since even if they dont sell that many in japan, they can sell quite a few here.  Hell, even if they are just ports of PS3 or Wii RPG's, thats fine with me.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »

I'm also iffy on Blue Dragon.  Save for Chrono Trigger, that art style really isn't my cup of tea.  Of course, if the gameplay is there then i'll give the game a shot. I think I would just have a hard time getting drawn into a game where i'm controlling a bunch of children in a colorful, lighthearted setting. At least in Dragon Quest VIII the story was somewhat serious. A game like Lost Odyssey though would be something I would be more interested in.

But who knows, from what i've read about Blue Dragon it has been recieved very well and the gameplay at least is said to be solid and entertaining.

Oh, and i'm guessing the music is great......right?
It should be..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2007, 09:01:40 PM »

Quote from: "Esper_Crusader"

Oh, and i'm guessing the music is great......right?
It should be..

Pretty good, yeah.  The song with Ian Gillan singing comes off as a bit odd, though. :P

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2007, 10:26:45 PM »

ADMIN EDIT:  No mp3 sharing, champ.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2007, 01:20:48 AM »

Quote from: "Thoren"
Yeah but most anime looks the same in general, its the outfits and hair that makes the characters distinct. Toriyama just has a more unique style than most, that's why its very distinct when he draws something. And I think it's absurd as a Gamer to dismiss a game because of it's art style. People did that with Zelda: Wind Waker and missed out, and it plagues great games like Okami with horrible sales.

that analogy doesnt really work though
in zelda games you dont need some emotional attachment to link. but in an rpg you might become attached to a specific character and put more effort into that character than others. part of the initial draw to a character can be appearance.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2007, 01:27:19 AM »

I think it affects my feelings just as much in something like Zelda as it does in an RPG. Might be different for you, but for me? I don't think it's magically more important in one than the other.

However, I should note that Okami made the top 100 best selling games of last year, and have rarely heard people criticize it for that. In fact, it got the reader's choice award from GameSpot for it's Art Style, destroying the others easily. I guess it might not appeal as much to those whose gaming consists primarily of Madden and/or GTA, or simply prefer all their games dark and ultra-violent, but whatever. And I think most people were upset with WW's art style because WTF WHAT ABOUT THAT AWESOME LOOKING TECH DEMO????????????

(We need a cel shaded chibi-fied FFVII remake. I'm convinced the Internet would explode.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: