Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 07:42:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331456 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Growlanser Generations...opinions on this title.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Growlanser Generations...opinions on this title.  (Read 1889 times)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2007, 02:35:13 PM »

I recently found this game sitting in a store. To my surprise it was the Deluxe version. I picked it up, but now have doubts. Before I actually open this package I wanted to see what people's thoughts were about the games. I still have the receipt so I could take it back. Thoughts?
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:06:36 PM »

I got the regular version seeing how I don't actually need the extra stuff.  Anyways, I really liked the games.  I'm not really one for SRPGS, but the gameplay is fun.  Plus you have an affection meter so it kinda has a dating element to it; thus it has multiple endings.  You can even have endings with guys if you are so inclined.  I'd really wish they'd bring the latest Growlanser over.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:42:40 PM »

I liked it.  Rather than repeat myself, I'll just refer you to my review:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/growlansergen/index.html

I will add this bit.  I've been going through my game collection lately, selling games that I don't think I'll be replaying again.  Growlanser Generations isn't going to be sold.[/url]

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:00:56 AM »

It's a fun collection. It's also WD's last release, so I'd just keep it myself.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 03:00:37 AM »

It's definitely a fun playthrough and the character designs aren't at all bad to look at.  Then again, it's Urushihara, so I'm somewhat biased.  Growlanser III is a bit on the darker side than II, so I'm enjoying that a bit more.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:55:24 AM »

I hated it to be honest. The gameplay was slow, the characters were boring, and the voice acting isn't that great.

LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 01:49:27 PM »

I really enjoyed Growlanser III.  It didn't really have many ups and downs; it was just a solid all around game.  I didn't care for II as much, but it wasn't bad.  At a length of 10-15 hours, doesn't take much commitment.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:38:05 AM »

Well, I was thinking...maybe I would take back this deluxe edition and just get the used copy of the games only. The remaining money I was thinking about picking up one of the following three...Suikoden V, Wildarms 4 or Tales of the Abyss.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »

I haven't played Tales of the Abyss but Suikoden V and Wild Arms IV are both great games.  Wild Arms IV has the better gameplay; Suikoden V has the better story.  You can't really go wrong with either.

Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »

i got the delexe version cuz i want the extra stuff, but the game not at much more than funny rpg,s

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 11:48:35 PM »

i think its crap. i recall  a stage where some big guys shoots a laser so you have to anticipate when its coming way in advance because of how slow the guys move.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
omniascio

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 04:19:19 PM »

I couldnt get past growlanser 2, I tend to love stuff WD does but this one I found tedious and boring. The gameplay is tedious and overly difficult at times, the characters are forgettable, and the story didnt grab me. Honestly I enjoyed learning abut the setting more than going on the adventure. I didnt play growlanser 3 but I hear its pretty good and I'm thinking of going back and playing that one myself.

On another note, I highly recommend Tales of the Abyss. I had to choose between roughly the same games (I took out wild arms 4 and replaced it with FF 12 since I didnt like wild arms 3). I eventually decided Tales was worth it since I liked tales of phantasia, destiny, and liked what little of eternia I played. The game is really well done, it has a fun yet surprisingly customizable combat system which is superior to all previous tales battle systems IMO. The story is really well done and has a sense of grandeur to it, the world is very fleshed out, and the characters are fairly dynamic and well done as well. Also the voice actors dont suck, not neccesarily good either except for the guy doing Jade and the guy doing luke but this is the states after all. The only problem you may run into is that the main character is a total prick the first 1/3 of the game and you'll want to slap him silly, which eventually does happen thankfully, but the opening segments of the game can take some getting used to. I also recommend you use a gamefaq with this game if you get it....there are tons of secrets and they tend to add to the story/setting/characters if you do them and you wont want to miss those parts.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »

Well, I did end up returning the Growlanser collection as well as Grandia Xtreme. I picked up Suikoden V and Suikoden Tactics in place of the previous two. Haven't played either yet and the review here seems positive. Any additional thoughts impressions. Thanks again.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: