Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319130 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  RPGfan's musicians. (hey baby, are you in a band?)lol
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RPGfan's musicians. (hey baby, are you in a band?)lol  (Read 6185 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:01:05 PM »

One thing I think a lot of us have in common here at RPGfan is a passion for music.  Many of us here are musicians ourselves.  So here's a thread where we musician types can talk about our bands/musical projects, what instrument we play, genre of music, website, all that good stuff.  

I'll start.  I play bass.  I took lessons for about 3 years in high school, my playing petered out in college, there was a 4 year gap when I wasn't playing at all and since '04 I've been trying to get my chops back.  Since February, I've been playing in a band called Sullen Door.  http://www.myspace.com/sullendoor.  Our sound is influenced by classic artists like The Beatles and Velvet Underground along with more current artists like Interpol and Belle & Sebastian.  

So what other musicians would like to share about their music?  I know there are many of us who play in gigging bands and such, so why not tell us about it?

I approve of this nonsense!
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »

Took up guitar two years ago, haven't had any formal lessons yet. I usually play covers by transcribing them by ear or looking up the sheet music, but more and more lately I've been coming up with my own chord progressions. When I play with other people I usually do blues improvs.

I've played keyboard/piano on and off all my life, I'd say altogether I have at least two years of experience. I've been practicing with the Hanon 'Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises' book and transcribing some songs I'd like to play.

The stuff I play on guitar is usually solo acoustic stuff based around chord progressions. I haven't played anything on piano aside from the exercises, though.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 07:06:33 PM »

Seriously, is there anyone on these boards who doesn't already know I'm a guitar playing fanatic?  I somehow doubt it. :P

LOOK AT MY BABIES ^_^_^

I should be ashamed taking a photo of a glorious SG with a broken string. :P

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 07:38:28 PM »

Nice steeds Dark, play any Maiden with those bad boys?

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 08:04:19 PM »

I'm sure DR does.  I think the question is whether he plays any Regi Wooten stuff on those axes.  Regi= Victor Wooten's brother and one of the sickest muthafuckin' guitarists out there.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vdJvHE8qxA&search=victor%20wooten (Regi and Victor slap battle.)

Anyway, since DR did it, there's a page in my sig (http://www.geocities.com/nc6566) that gives a full rundown of my bass gear.  I love my Warwick Corvette to pieces.  I've played some pretty upscale basses by serious pros.  I've played one of Alphonso Johnson's Modulus basses, a local area jam/session bassist's Fodera (yes, a FODERA!), high-end Spectors, Carvins... and my Warwick still plays the best to me.  I can get stupid low action on that baby with minimal to no buzzing.

EDIT:  DR, that Jackson is sick.  But doesn't that middle pickup get in the way if you're doing some aggressive right-hand picking?

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 08:06:24 PM »

I have a Yamaha RBX-270F.  I rarely play it anymore, but it sure is pretty.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 08:11:14 PM »

So Dincrest, who's your favourite Bass player? Bass is often underrated, and I dont know any rock bassists that stand out(I could reel off a few Metal bassists)of the crowd of late, seems to be a dying art.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 08:24:21 PM »

Starbreaker- my favorite bassists tend to be more jazz/funk/soul/R&B guys.  

My absolute favorite player is Verdine White of Earth, Wind, & Fire.  His playing is just so smooth and funky and I love his stage presence and wild fashions.  He's also one of the funkiest players who doesn't slap.  I'm not much of a slapper/tapper either.  I love Verdine's funky runs that cap off certain measures.  

I have two other bass heroes.  One is Alphonso Johnson.  His resume is a veritable who's who of jazz and some pop, and he was the bassist of Weather Report before Jaco Pastorius.  He's an incredible bassist and one of the nicest gentlemen you could ever hope to meet.  I met him when I was 16 and had first started playing.  

And it would be a sin NOT to have Victor Wooten as one of my bass heroes.  He is the absolute best bassist alive right now.  This is not an opinion.  This is a fact.  It cannot, shall not, and will not be disputed.  His chops with the solo stuff is legendary, but he also is an amazing groove player as evidenced with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and his session work.  Victor can do it all.  

Jaco is NOT one of my bass heroes though.  While he was one of the greatest players alive, he was also an arrogant asshole.  A hero must not only possess great skill, but must also exemplify the kind of person I want to be as well.  I don't like arrogant assholes.  Granted, Jaco did have some mental problems that perhaps could have been rectified with today's medications and therapies, but he'd still be an arrogant asshole.  

Among rock players, some of my favorites are James LoMenzo (White Lion, David Lee Roth, Black Label Society, Hideous Sun Demons, and now Megadeth), Clayton Ingerson (ex-Dysrhythmia), Colin Marston (current Dysrhythmia, Behold... The Arctopus), Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne).  

And I gotta give special props to my girls Me'shell Ndegeocello, MC Divinity, Rhonda Smith, and the incredibly beautiful Jen Zielenbach (Antigone Rising.)  I fall in love with Jen every time I listen to their albums.  And I'll be honest, that picture of her in the GHS ad on the inside front cover of the March issue of Bass Player (with Tom Hamilton on the cover) is one of the sexiest pics I've ever seen.  

And that concludes the tangent.  Back to spotlighting all you musician types and promoting your bands.  And, hey, if ANY of you are in the central New Jersey area, my band Sullen Door has a couple of shows coming up in April.  Details are on the website.

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 09:37:38 PM »

I hear ya, Slapping can get a bit 'old' sometimes alright, the Bass in Rage against the machine used to be awesome. I used to love that shit, but now I dunno. The metal world looks on in awe at Harris I suppose, mainly becuase he pioneered a generation back in the late 70's. Watching him pluck away on stage is something special indeed.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 09:51:40 PM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
Nice steeds Dark, play any Maiden with those bad boys?

Does the sun rise in the morning?  Does shit stink?  Of course I do. :P  Been playing their shit since I was twelve, and I never get tired of it.  In fact, I've been known to enjoy playing Maiden tunes more than my own. :P

Quote from: "Dincrest"

EDIT:  DR, that Jackson is sick.  But doesn't that middle pickup get in the way if you're doing some aggressive right-hand picking?

Having that pickup there would fuck up most people, but I have the action set up uncommonly high on all my guitars.  My pick goes right over the top with a little room to spare. :P  And of course, I have very little pick exposed in the first place.  Makes for better control with the high-register shit. :P

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 10:12:14 PM »

Well, if you can do a cover of Aces high or even that killer solo by Murray in Somewhere in Time I'll be forever jealous, On another note just got my tickets for Maiden this fall, their playing in Dublin 22nd of Dec. will be my 5th time seeing them live( I even got to see a tribute gig featuring Clive Burr before ^^)

Allanon

wraithofAllanon
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 01:00:41 AM »

I'm also in a band, http://www.myspace.com/gwenstacy, which is why I haven't been posting here as often as I used to. We're a hardcore/metalcore band based out of Indianapolis, IN. A lot of people compare us to Haste the Day and Every Time I Die which is odd because those bands sound very different. We're signed to a small local label, cleanXcut records, and have a cd out which you can buy from interpunk, http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=63110&.

We play out a lot. We usually have at least two shows a weekend, sometimes more. We already had a small tour this past winter and are in the process of booking a full us tour for May and June (All of the dates aren't up on our page yet).

As far as me personally, I've been playing guitar for seven years. I took lessons for the first two or so years. I've also taken classical guitar lessons I did that for over two years as well so I could be in the music program at Ball State University, but I stopped taking those when I left BSU after last semester so I could focus on Gwen Stacy.

Live, I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio into a Mesa Triple Rectifier half stack, along with a Boss Noise Suppressor to cut back on feedback and a Boss Chromatic Tuner.

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 11:55:11 AM »

Quote from: "Allanon"
We're a hardcore/metalcore band.

Nuff said, we like you ^^

drumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 12:13:34 PM »

Victor Wooten

You have to respect a man who wears comic book shirts to most of his gigs. He also has one that says "Sugoi" on it.

I've mostly been playing percussion in orchestras and some musicals recently, but I do hope to get back to my electronic percussion stuff soon.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 02:24:42 AM »

I'm a musician, but I won't be pretentious enough to think that anyone would bother listening to anything I have written.  Or to post links of my instruments.

Anyway, I write mostly aggressive electric guitar parts and melancholy clean guitar parts.  I add some extra bits by experimenting with my keyboard.  I fancy the hammond, jazz organ, and synthetic strings settings.

Ages ago I mostly would write Iced earth style gallop rhythms, but since starting to listen to Prog, I have been incorporating other styles into what I write.  I have some fairly Opeth inspired songs along with some straight Folk songs.  I like to mesh several harmonies at once, sometimes trying to bombard the listener to the point of not being able to contemplate what is going on.  Not anything unbearably dissonant like Black Metal.  Just having this wall of melodies in off times and measures.

I also like to mesh Death Metal vocals with clean male and female vocals.  Being a huge fan of Ayreon, you can see where I'd get my influence for meshing a variety of vocals.  :P

I'm not a particularily great lead guitarist, but I am reviewing a DVD of techniques John Petrucci uses.  This is helping me forge new techniques into my repetoir.

Likewise, I'm not a great vocalist, but I can manage a few things.

I try not to stay stuck in any one genre, although I have my roots in Metal.  But Prog and Folk allow me to experiment a bit more since I love all three genres quite a bit.  And even in Metal, I love quite a few varities of it.  I call it sub genres of sub genres.  :P

Lyrically, I am inspired by Bruce Dickinson, Steve Harris, Arjen Lucassen, Dan Swano, King Diamond, and Martin Walkyier.  But likewise, a lot of my subject matter is based around either emotions, the cosmic, or even some video games.  :P  I am writing several pieces of music based around the Phantasy Star universe.

I dunno, if you would put a name to it, the style of music I write is...  Progressive Space Death Folk Metal.  :P

Sorry if any of that wasn't very to the point, but I just got off of a nine hour long shift at work.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: