Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 10:54:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338777 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  RPGfan's musicians. (hey baby, are you in a band?)lol
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: RPGfan's musicians. (hey baby, are you in a band?)lol  (Read 7101 times)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 03:45:26 AM »

Well, Iced Earth styled riffs is something I'd like to hear, especially if their anything like Schaffer's!

Losfer, sometimes haveing the inspiration and abilitiy to do these things is better than wanting to sell them off to the consumer market, write your songs and riffs and be happy that you can and you never know, someone might recongnize you one of these days. Hell atleast you can, I couldn't play the guitar to save my life, and I've been a metal fan since I could talk, if there was ever anythign I wish I could do it's stand up and play the guitar but instead I crafted my way by learning the Piano :/

best of luck to you.

Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 09:40:53 PM »

Losfer can you link me to any of your works or PM it to me? I'd like to hear what you have created.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 05:05:13 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
One thing I think a lot of us have in common here at RPGfan is a passion for music.  Many of us here are musicians ourselves.  So here's a thread where we musician types can talk about our bands/musical projects, what instrument we play, genre of music, website, all that good stuff.  

I'll start.  I play bass.  I took lessons for about 3 years in high school, my playing petered out in college, there was a 4 year gap when I wasn't playing at all and since '04 I've been trying to get my chops back.  Since February, I've been playing in a band called Sullen Door.  http://www.myspace.com/sullendoor.  Our sound is influenced by classic artists like The Beatles and Velvet Underground along with more current artists like Interpol and Belle & Sebastian.  

So what other musicians would like to share about their music?  I know there are many of us who play in gigging bands and such, so why not tell us about it?

Your band sounds very cool, so I'll check out the stuff you have on that site.

As for instruments, I play percussion, though I haven't had much experience with set. I'm also in the process of learning guitar. All I have is an acoustic, and that will be good to build up my skill, but I want to be more of an "effect" guitarist. I don't really want to become a lead guitarist. I'm influenced by a lot of more percussive and drony guitarists, like those in the post-punk/post-rock era of music. I love the sound of guitar used for texture. Wilderness, Joy Division, The Walkmen, and Interpol are bands that do this a lot.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 05:19:42 PM »

I've just started learning the guitar. I know a grand total of 15 chords(ish), and I can play Wonderwall by Oasis...that's about it :P

I've never written a song. I probably could, because I write poetry and crap, but it would more than likely suck.

I did try and play the bass, but never really enjoyed it.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 07:42:33 AM »

Thanks Merk.  The song we have on the site is an old recording from the BN (Before Neal) era of Sullen Door.  In the near future, we're going to be recording an EP with the current lineup (me, Danny the drummer, and Dave the singer/guitarist) and personally, I think the songs sound a lot thicker with my bass added to the mix.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »

I play guitar, bass and er...sing. I'm in a band that's about 4 months into the running right now. We're called UK and the Vaselines. We recorded an DIY EP a few months back and have only played about 7 shows so far. As of right now we do have 11 original songs and play no covers at all. Unfortunately I was really sick when we did the EP so my vocals are really strained sounding, especially compared to now. We do a pretty varied mix of punk all the way from pop-punk (only 2 songs) to hardcore punk to ska and even reggae.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 07:24:58 PM »

I play guitar and a bit of bass. I'm currently in a band called Melodora with my friends Michael and Adam. It's on hiatus at the moment because of distance issues.

Most of the music I play is either Iron Maiden-inspired metal or blues rock, and that's usually what I bring to the table with Melodora...what comes out of the amps is far from either though. :P

I'm looking to start a new band. I also want to move out of California. Anyone got an extra room and an amp I can plug into? :P

Takabo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2006, 09:29:22 PM »

I started taking piano lessons about 9 months ago, and it's proving to be a constant source of enjoyment.  I've never had any prior music experience (including having no idea how to read sheet music) before I began, so I had no idea how it would be, but I'm fairly pleased with my progress.  I'm finally starting to perform un-simplified music, which is nice.  Among the songs I'm working on now is the Main Theme from Final Fantasy 7 Piano Collections, and I'm immensely proud to be able to perform it.  The sheer amount of VGM arranged for the piano is a huge plus for me, and as I get better I'm looking into buying the FF Piano Collection books.

I had looked at starting an instrument for a while, and piano wasn't my first choice.  I looked (and am still looking) into getting an accordion, but they're just so expensive, not to mention the difficulty in finding teachers and sheet music.  I'm also interested in the violin, but I have no idea how well I would be able to pick something like that up.

No metal, no bands.  Sorry for being a bit boring.
Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 05:31:51 PM »

Well, I play guitar.

Currently getting a band started with my friend, but all we have so far is 2 guitarists, so we've been composing music. Although, I tend to let him do most of the composing since my original stuff is more jrockish than power metal, hah. We enjoy rocken out some Maiden, Hammerfall, Dragonforce, Angra, etc though.

There's a link to my recordings (covers) in my signature.

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 02:11:24 PM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
So Dincrest, who's your favourite Bass player? Bass is often underrated, and I dont know any rock bassists that stand out(I could reel off a few Metal bassists)of the crowd of late, seems to be a dying art.

Rock bassists that rule...hmm.. I can think of a million awesome bass players. David Simms from the Jesus Lizard stands out the most. That guy fucking rules. Knows when to shred and when to just hold it down. Listen to GOAT or LIAR and then tell me you dont know any stand out bass players in rock.

I am a drummer mostly. I have bene playing snce I was 12, and I am pretty dam good at it. I still play daily to keep my chops inline, but not in a band at the moment. I have toured alot with different indie bands, and have shared the stage with lot of the bigger indie acts. Sad thing is, I have always been in the band that played first in front of almost nobody, but at leats I got to meet alot of cool musicians.

I have a custom built set of drums. The are made from the Keller shells,100% sugar maple wood. My bass drums is 22X20, nice and deep. I have a 12 and 15 inch tom, as well as a 14X8.5 Keplinger snare drums. 35 pounds of soild steel. She is my baby. I should take a picture if I ever get around to it.

I am a big metalhead, but I have been studying alot of jazz the past few years. The best money I have ever made playing music was doing some easy standards at weddings. I played in a Latin Jazz band called Nova, and even played my brother's wedding. 500 bucks to set up and play some cool Cal Jader tunes is what I am all about. I also like all kinds of other stuff, usually the noisy, spacey stuff. Sonic Youth, Trail of Dead, Interpol, ect.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »

Awesome. I've always wanted a custom drum set. At this point in my life, I'd settle for a cheap one, but at some point in my life, I'd love to have an instrument I can call "my baby". :P

Also, I gotta say that those last few bands you mentioned are sources of inspiration for me, especially Trail of Dead's use of cymbal. Another Morning Stoner blew my mind the first time I heard it.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 03:58:45 PM »

This past Friday, my band Sullen Door played a Rutgers Musicians' Guild showcase with a bunch of other artists and, well, here are tons of photos from it.  I'm easy to find.  Just look for Sullen Door, a Warwick bass, or easiest of all- a wacky Indian guy in a red shirt and a blue Spongebob tie.  My personal favorite action shot is #18 in Rodney's (jenkness) gallery.  

I even got to sit in and do some improv with a hip-hop artists and his R&B/soul protege.  

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~rumg/neal_rvws/apr21_06.html (my synopsis/review of the show.)

http://eden.rutgers.edu/~rumg/photos.html (pictures from the show courtesy of Marc V. of the Guild.)

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/djjewboy/Venereal%20Exchange/Rutgers%20Show%20Apr%2021/ (more pictures taken by Dave from V. Exchange.)

http://jenkness.com/shutterjenk/viewjenk.php?album=rumg042106 (Even MORE pics taken by Rodney from Goosey/ Sound Sleeper.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: