Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327473 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  weird hand gestures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: weird hand gestures  (Read 3823 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:09:01 PM »

this is something i first observed in skies of arcadia but its popped up in various rpg's since then. since ive only seen it in jrpg's i wonder if people actually talk like that in japan because those hand gestures are kinda weird :O
off the top of my head i recall seeing the weird hand gesture while talking in skies of arcadia,phantasy star universe and xenosaga 3 but im sure its happend in other rpgs too.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 04:15:33 AM »

I've got some hand gestures for you..

Just kidding, but do you mean the sort of thing Tidus does in FFX all the time where hes making a fist and pulling it downwards in an "All-right/Yosh!" type of way?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:06:23 AM »

no anyone thats played skies of arcadia probally knows what im talking about since this one shop guy wearing a turban does it. in psu karen does it when you talk to her.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:09:44 AM »

Personally, I think they're just trying to make the characters overly animated when it's really not necessary.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:39:58 AM »

Probably what they do in anime. I really doubt people in Japan go around doing dramatic hand gestures.

And I need to play skies of arcadia.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 10:34:12 AM »

Could someone post some pics of these gestures, so we can get a visual on what's being inquired here?  Or at least a better description of the action?  Because "weird hand gestures" is a bit vague as there are tons of hand gestures in the world.  

I have a little bit of familiarity with some hand gestures from all over the world, so perhaps I could weigh in with possible insight if I had a visual.

Many hand gestures have a history behind them and a meaning.  For example, in many parts of England, holding up both the pointer and middle finger is the "fuck you!" gesture.  This came about because during a historical French-English war, the English archers were kicking Frenchie ass so the French would capture the archers and cut off their two fingers so they couldn't draw a bowstring.  So when England completely annihilated Frenchie ass at the end of the war, they waved their two fingers up triumphantly in that whole "Yeah Frenchies!  We still have our fingers!  In your face!  How ya like me now!?!?"

I approve of this nonsense!
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:50:49 PM »

Well, I'm playing through Skies of Arcadia again at the moment so I can try to find out what these "hand gestures" are all about.

I will find you. Without fail.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »

I think it's moving the hand up and down in front of them, palm upwards.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 04:53:02 PM »

The hand motion that annoys me the most is the backwards wave you see now and then.  You know it:  dude walks away while speaking, raises his hand up, and waves in front of him...except the people he waved to are behind him.  I see that far too often in anything that smacks of Japan, so I can only assume it's some sort of cultural thing.  Doesn't mean I can't fucking hate it, though. :P  It annoyed me the most in Resident Evil 4, when Luis does it in the castle area.

I don't know why I have such an instinctual hatred of that gesture, but it's there. :P

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Could someone post some pics of these gestures, so we can get a visual on what's being inquired here?  Or at least a better description of the action?  Because "weird hand gestures" is a bit vague as there are tons of hand gestures in the world.

Request granted. It's actually a selectable emote while playing PSU.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/Symbios/Psu2007-02-2010-08-05-96.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/Symbios/Psu2007-02-2010-08-08-82.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/Symbios/Psu2007-02-2010-08-12-40.jpg

Like Eusis said, I'm pretty sure this is just overly animating the characters and nothing else. While I do know some people who have their hand out, face up while speaking, I don't think I've ever seen someone swing it around as wildly as that while trying to carry on a decent conversation.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 03:45:14 PM »

Actually thats how they flip people off in Japan
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:39:44 PM »

I like Squall's salute in Final Fantasy VIII.

Also, they seem to have a thing for "thumbs up!" in Grandia III.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 06:58:05 PM »

lol, I always went nuts when anyone would start talking in Tales of Symphonia.  They all have their own unique "hand gesture"

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
The hand motion that annoys me the most is the backwards wave you see now and then.  You know it:  dude walks away while speaking, raises his hand up, and waves in front of him...except the people he waved to are behind him.  I see that far too often in anything that smacks of Japan, so I can only assume it's some sort of cultural thing.  Doesn't mean I can't fucking hate it, though. :P  It annoyed me the most in Resident Evil 4, when Luis does it in the castle area.

I don't know why I have such an instinctual hatred of that gesture, but it's there. :P

Damn. I occasionally do that in my daily life. I find it the most efficient and classy way to say goodbye. Oh well. :P
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 01:50:01 AM »

I don't find that gesture very weird.  A lot of people do that when they're talking from what I've seen.  Even I do it a lot.  It's kind of a nervous habit, because it just feels really weird standing stock still while talking.  At least to me, it is.

I doubt a nervous habit is the case in games, though.  Like a few people on the thread already said, it's just to give the characters a bit more life to them when talking.  It's like how, in 2D games, you have characters nodding or blinking a lot in order to bring some expression during a conversation.  Maybe I'm just too used to that not, but it'd just feel odd with characters constantly standing stiffly while chatting.

Although, some of the gestures and movements the characters in Tales of Legendia made were fucking weird.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: