Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:42:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329226 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Question to any musicians (to meet my one a year post quota)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question to any musicians (to meet my one a year post quota)  (Read 1379 times)
Nallo

superwilton
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2007, 01:35:38 AM »

I'm thinking about getting a new bass. I'm torn between the Fender Jazz and the Fender Precision (the logical thing to do would be to get the Fender P Bass Deluxe, but that'd be gay).

Comments?
Galactic

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 03:06:08 AM »

Bass is cool.  Get the Fender Jazz.  

^_-;

Too Galactic for you.

^_-;
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 08:07:33 AM »

Nallo, you have opened the floodgates.  I can talk about bass all freaking day.  

Either that, or you could completely annihilate your brain at the TalkBass forums too.  I post on TalkBass.  

Anyway, my take:

What's your budget?  What styles of music are you playing?  4 or 5 string? What kind of amp are you playing through?  Would you consider something else other than Fender if your budget allowed?  I ask the last question, because QC at Fender is a tad spotty (even some US ones play like dogs) and you'd have to play through a shitload of Fender basses to find a really good one, especially if you go for a MIM (Made in Mexico) one.  

I think the absolute best Fenders for the price available right now are the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, the Jaguar Bass, and the Aerodyne (all of which are CIJ- crafted in Japan.)  The Geddy Lee has a slimmer neck than a standard Jazz, though (but it's nowere near as skinny as, say, that of an Ibanez Soundgear.)  The Jazz Bass 24's rather nice too.  

(When you go to the Fender website and click on the basses, if the model number starts with 013, it's made in Mexico.  If it starts with 025 it's Japan.  019 is US.  015 is Custom Shop.  026 is Korea.)

I'm not really a Fender guy (I play a Warwick), but I think the Lakland Skyline basses are the best Fender style basses available at the affordable price point.  Their quality control is super consistent.  My personal favorite is the Donald Duck Dunn sig model (P-bass with a J neck.  The Lindy Fralin pickup used in that one and other sig models are sexy as hell.)  In addition, Lakland's customer service is top notch; you may even get Dan Lakin himself when you call.    

http://www.lakland.com

Lakland's 5-strings are great too.  IMO, Fender's 5-strings are terrible.  Never played a Fender with a solid low B.

EDIT:  And I'll punt this into the music forums.

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:31:02 AM »

If the choice is just between those two...hmm.  Well, I've owned them both over the years, and liked them both.  The Jazz has a brighter tone and more definition in the midrange, while the Precision's tone has a little more heft and weight, especially when rocking out with it.

...I guess if I had to pick one, I'd pick the Precision.  I could go either way, though. :P

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: