Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 10:06:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331704 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Future of Shadow Hearts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Future of Shadow Hearts  (Read 5802 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »

I only played FTNW, which I thought was freaking excellent, regardless of whether or not it's "better" or "worse" than the previous games.

The way they had worked the series out, the first game was Asia, and the second was Europe, and the third was North/South America...

I would've loved to see a fourth Shadow Hearts in...Africa? Or maybe some remote location (Antarctica?)...or one where the locations include the entire world!

I hope the series' "ending," if it really is over, didn't have to do with lower-than-expected sales on FTNW. The game was totally hip IMO.

Ramza

blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 10:00:58 PM »

I'm not really disappointed.  To me Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 were outstanding games that don't need any more sequels.  If they kept going, I'd fear them running into "The Matrix Syndrome."

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 10:02:08 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
The way they had worked the series out, the first game was Asia, and the second was Europe, and the third was North/South America...

You're not really right about the first and second. First had about half of it in Asia, half of it in Europe (Europe was the part where you could back track), while the second started in Europe and wound up going to Japan on disc 2.

Edit: And, uh, Matrix syndrome?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 11:00:42 PM »

is the 3rd one even worth playing? i loved the first one,but in the second one there was some things that annoyed me.

1. anastasia was a great character but as soon as the kenshin wannabe showed up i hated her.

2. wtf at the character design of the valentine dude? also would of been nice if karen i think was her name stayed in her military uniform or if it was a bonus. i think i lost interest in part 2 after the battle where astaroth possesses the kenshin wannabes mom,and i was at some cave.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »

I've been seeing the 3rd game for $20 now. While I haven't grabbed it due to having too much on my plate as is, it's probably well worth it for that price.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 12:10:11 AM »

From the few hours I played of the 3rd game, it seemed like a better game than the second if only for the fact that it wasn't mind numbingly easy.  I'm with Eusis; what's the point in having a bunch of options in battle if everything's so easy that you could just play on auto-pilot the whole time?

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 12:45:04 AM »

Ah damn, this makes me so sad. Shadow Hearts: Covenant is one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2, and even if From The New World didn't quite stack up to it it's still a good game.

And I never really got the complaints about how Covenant was too easy - sure, it wasn't a challenge by any stretch of the imagination, but very few games are these days. Of the RPGs I've played during the last two years or so only the Shin Megami Tensei titles have ever really given me any sort of problems. Hell, even Final Fantasy XII which by some is lauded as hard was extremely easy once you figured out the right gambit combinations.

So sure, Shadow Hearts: Covenant was pretty easy. But that doesn't negate the fact that it had an awesome combat system, great characters, and a bucketload of interesting sidequests.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 01:39:59 AM »

This will probably be a controversial opinion, but I think SH:C basically embodied most of what I don't like about the gameplay of modern RPGs, then some nitpicks wholly unique to itself. Basically it all boils down to 1. No sense of exploration and 2. Slow-ish battles, but to elaborate... I don't like towns that're basically just a building or two you can actually enter, than several that're just there to make the place look bigger than it really is, dungeons/dungeon-type areas that're horrendously linear - not really expecting branching pathes... Just for it to feel less like running in a straight line except when doing a (sometimes obnoxious) puzzle or looking in random nooks and crannies for treasure. I also don't like how the overworld was basically just a series of points to click on, but admittedly a proper overworld may not be as ideal in a game based off the real world anyway unless it takes more liberties than Shadow Hearts does, like Terranigma or Far East of Eden 4.

As for the battles: they're obviously not overly long monstrosities like what you'll deal with in BK or XSII, but they still feel like they take longer then necessary, like 2 or 3 minutes on each random encounter that, had it been presented differently would've taken a matter of seconds. It's probably a side effect of the ring system, giving you multiple attacks and all. Also, being too easy is to me more of a flaw in a turn based RPG than most other games: Zelda and Zelda-type games like Rocket Slime (at least outside of tank battles) and Okami don't bug me with their ease. However, it's probably the long feeling battles that bug me most: I like regular encounters to be dealt with in half a minute to a minute, with something like 3-5 only for the occasional stupidly tough enemy. It's easier to forgive though if it slightly drags but I'm seriously forced to consider my strategy, ala DQVIII. I suppose the problem basically is not really feeling like there's much I need to do other than manage to hit all the zones on the ring and throw around the occasional spell, while other games either A. require me to seriously consider my options, or B. are done with so quickly it doesn't matter.

Storywise though it was fine, above average at least, and I thought it was one of the funnier RPGs that I've played. I also enjoyed SH1 a lot more overall than SH:C for some reason.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 01:40:40 AM »

Quote from: "Lost Fragment"
There is evidence that Nautilus has been dismantled, but there is no conclusive proof. I don't see why the representative you talked to wouldn't say that they had been dismantled if they had, though. The evidence might imply that the development studio is gone, but the representative's response raises questions.

Your article is very speculative, I think, so I take the implication of it with a grain of salt.

Company officials are not allowed to talk about everything you know. Regardless of how obvious something may seem or not. Besides, Aruze is a publically listed company, hence what is written in their financial reports is not speculative, but fact. And if you look under the category "development of games for home consoles", you could find Nautilus there until 2005. Since then it has disappeared from the reports and only Aruze is still listed there. This isn't really speculative, if you ask me.
blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Ramza"

You're not really right about the first and second. First had about half of it in Asia, half of it in Europe (Europe was the part where you could back track), while the second started in Europe and wound up going to Japan on disc 2.

Edit: And, uh, Matrix syndrome?

Matrix Syndrome is best described by looking at the Trilogy itself.  The first Matrix Movie was outstanding and set you up for what you think is going to be a great series.  The second movie goes in some directions that don't follow the natural progression of the first film, but you hope they will pull it together in later movies.  The third one completely undermines the first two and leads you to believe that the writers were simply pulling the plot out of their asses...

I'm not saying FTNW was bad because I never played it.  But as with any series, if it starts off great, it usually does not end with that same greatness if it continues on too long...  For me, SH1 and SH2 were easily the best RPGs I played on the PS2 system save maybe FFXII (which could be a bad thing when you think about it lol)  If they kept it going, it eventually would turn into something not so great IMO.  

Just look at how fickle Final Fantasy has been..  (my opinion of course)

Harlequin

Hi, I'm swedish

harlequin@stockholm.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 07:00:13 PM »

So FTNW is worth a playthrough then? Only just realized it'll be released over here in a month or two :O
Loved SH:C, one of my favorite RPGs of all time to be honest. Guess I should get the latest installment if they're really dropping the whole series..

*runs off to read RPGFan review*

Be awesome instead.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 02:23:06 AM »

DQVIII had strategy? the only way i could keep any sort of run going in DQVIII was to sleep entire groups of monsters so i could concentrate on 1 monster at a time wich forced me to stop using boomerangs with the hero and switch to spear. the XS3 character battles have more strategy than DQVIII and even that is poor compared to FFX.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 02:30:16 AM »

Maybe not something that requires serious thinking (in fact, you can do pretty well for regular encounters simply be setting everyone to fight wisely, thanks to good/cheap AI), but it's a lot more than selecting attack and heal a few hundred times. Plus you have to seriously consider your path of growth, given how it'll take quite awhile to reach the end of one, yet it has the good sense to not have you miss anything too critical without being useless.

However, unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure DQVIII has more thoughtful battles than FFX, at least at the endgame. I had a lot of fun with that though.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 02:48:44 AM »

Harlequin:
Yes, it most certainly is. While the story or characters aren't nearly as good as those in Covenant, From The New World is still a decent enough game. It retains the same, great Judgement Ring system as Covenant and adds a few improvements, especially in the way combos are executed.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 02:51:45 AM »

i think the main reason i hated DQVIII is because it was near impossible to come out of a battle unscathed wich was a major drain on your resources wich equates to a stressful experience wich i feel a videogame should never be. especially since i recall DQVIII not having refill points or even save points before bosses wich meant death meant you potentially just wasted an hour of your life. compounded by the fact that at the point of the game i was at revival items were RARE so an unlucky death meant going back to town in the middle of a dungeon. it felt like an offline MMO but worse since you couldnt sit or something to recover mp.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: