Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327552 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Future of Shadow Hearts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Future of Shadow Hearts  (Read 5641 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 03:08:08 AM »

Except what you said about wasting an hour of your life isn't entirely true: If you were money grinding and the like, and didn't store it in a bank (which can be a problem early on), then yeah, you wasted a lot of time. BUT, you are brought back at the church with everyone revived and no EXP lost. In fact, during the
Code:
Dhoulmagus
fight, if you finish off the first form but die to the second, when you go for a rematch you'll skip to the second form and not the first. So DQVIII isn't as nice as most modern RPGs, but it's a lot nicer than something like FFIII.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 08:03:56 AM »

Now, of course, I'm curious what actually will/did happen to Nautilus.  Will the staff go their separate ways?  Will another parent company scoop them up?  Will Aruze still hold Nautilus' intellectual properties?  In a perfect world, what plans would Nautilus have for Shadow Hearts?  

Oh wait, hold on.  I'm still a little foggy on something.  Koudelka and Shadow Hearts one were developed by Sacnoth (a bunch of ex-Square employees), right?  But then Sacnoth folded, and did a bunch of their team form Nautilus?

I approve of this nonsense!
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 09:37:24 AM »

But then Sacnoth folded, and did a bunch of their team form Nautilus?

Apparently, Sacnoth never folded per-say but SNK, who were funding them did. When that happened Azure picked up Sacnoth and they changed their name to Nautilus.

I will find you. Without fail.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »

Unfortunately, I already knew this because one of the diehard SH fans at GameFAQs contacted Aruze, which pretty much told him the same thing Chris Winkler got.  As a fan of the series I am of course pretty disappointed, but on the other hand I was not really surprised because much like with Xenosaga, money is what fuels a series, and if there is no profit to be gained there is no reason to keep it going.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »

I don't understand all the love for this series. I played through about half of the first game and had to stop. While the settings are great, that godawful judgement ring completely ruined the game for me. To leave everything up to chance button presses just completely turned me off. I can see using such a mechanism for bonus type stuff, but not for the whole game. UGH.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
I don't understand all the love for this series. I played through about half of the first game and had to stop. While the settings are great, that godawful judgement ring completely ruined the game for me. To leave everything up to chance button presses just completely turned me off. I can see using such a mechanism for bonus type stuff, but not for the whole game. UGH.

Yeah.  it's definitely a learning curve.  But I wouldn't call it chance.  There is a Rhythm to it that you have to learn.  I think me being a musician helped me with that game because the judgment ring was just like staying on beat while playing/singing/rapping.  I dang near got to the point where I could do it with my eyes closed because I had memorized the rhythm.  

SH2 vastly improved the JR though.

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2007, 01:34:05 AM »

This is a disappointment, yet in all honesty I can't imagine where else SH can go after FTNW.  Perhaps, as Eusis said, it's better to let the series lie rather than have it end up a parody of itself (a direction it seemed to be heading in anyways).  Hell, considering how Covenant ended, the series could have done well to stop there rather than go on with FTNW.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2007, 02:35:51 AM »

The thing is...SH needed to at least go to America once. FTNW is a pretty nice take on American culture(even with it's anachronisms). It also presents Native Americans in a more positive light than a slew of other games have tried to, as well as the South American peoples.

They still could have done an SH4 in WWII.

(On a side note: I was the "diehard SH fan" that Ryos mentioned. I sent an email about a month ago and knew about this info before this news post.)
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »

The interesting thing about FTNW is that while it seems light-hearted compared to the other two games, it is still darker than a majority of RPG's being released. While it was more focused on the comedy, when it had to be serious, it was serious. The SH team had a talent for making games that move the player, and I hope those guys find work and start making games if they really have disbanded. We really need them.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2007, 01:11:27 AM »

its not chance it's skill or technique if you will if you got good at hitting the red spots like i did you were rewarded greatly. there was even accessories that increased the size of the hit zones. plus im pretty sure part 2 had an auto mode but using it removed the red areas from the circle.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2007, 02:13:50 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"

its not chance it's skill or technique if you will if you got good at hitting the red spots like i did you were rewarded greatly. there was even accessories that increased the size of the hit zones. plus im pretty sure part 2 had an auto mode but using it removed the red areas from the circle.

Personally, if a person can't handle the JR then that person just can't handle awesome game mechanics.

But that's just me.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:37 AM »

Actually, there is less chance involved with the Judgement Ring than in normal games. At least with the Ring, you can control whether or not you miss.

Also, I seriously have to thank FTNW for adding just enough difficulty to the game. It caused me to be more alert and to, consequently, pay more attention to the Judgement Ring, but the game didn't get too easy because of it. I wasn't able to play Covenant for a while after playing FTNW.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »

It's too bad..........but FTNW was definitely the weakest of the three games.

Maybe the game needs some fresh blood?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 03:14:44 PM »

Covenant holds the title for weakest in the series IMO.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: