Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 11:43:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327884 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Atelier Iris: Grand Phantasm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Atelier Iris: Grand Phantasm  (Read 4067 times)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:34:12 AM »

So according to http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1077.html, we will be getting the third entry in the Atelier Iris series, Grand Phantasm.  I keep forgetting, is this the eigth title in the Atelier series as a whole?

Anyways, I don't know too much about the game so I can't say much.  As an Atelier series fan, I am excited, though.

Discuss.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:46:53 AM »

Well, seeming as they did give out the two previous Atelier Iris, I would have been kinda surprised if they didn't continue the trend so to speak. I actually just started playing the first one yesterday. I have been meaning to play it for a long time but I just couldn't get around to it before. God, I hate having a backlog. I miss the good old days when I power gamed every game I could get my hands on.

I have to say that so far, I've been enjoying AI. The combat is a bit on the slow side though, and the story screams "been-there-done-that" but the creation/synthesizes systems are really entertaining. I don't really want to continue the story. I would much rather just run around collecting items, mana and creating things.

I this keeps up, then I'll have to get the second one too. And at that time, hopefully I can get my hands on the third as well.

For those who've played both, how does Eternal Mana stack up against The Azoth of Destiny?

I will find you. Without fail.
Magic Pink

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 07:56:16 AM »

Azoth of Destiny is simpler and has less to do it seems. I only got about 15 or so hours into it before I quit.

It's better then Ar tonelico tho, I only made it about 5 hours or so into that before I quit. That was mostly out of disgust tho.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 04:14:40 AM »

Quote from: "Crown Clown"
For those who've played both, how does Eternal Mana stack up against The Azoth of Destiny?

Eternal Mana does have a lot more to do, not just in terms of synthesizing but getting more character development out of the various shop owners.  About 75% of my play time revolved around that.  The main story in either game is nothing special, though I did enjoy Fee's arc in Azoth of Destiny a great deal.  The first two games would really have benefitted from multiple endings as characters like Veola in Eternal Mana and Fee and Noin in Azoth were quite interesting.  Overall, though, I've no real complaints about either game.  I AM hoping Grand Phantasm turns out to be something special, though.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:33:07 AM »

I'm with Spoony - the shop owner conversations in AI1 were what made the game a truly unique experience. I LOVED it.

AI2 was good, but I strongly prefer AI1.

I haven't read much on Grand Phantasm (it was "Fantasm" in JP, but I guess NIS is changing that). I do know it has good music! We'll see about the rest...

And uhh...I have to ask...why does Ar tonelico "disgust" you, my Magical Pink friend?

Ramza

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »

No idea about Ar tonelico, completed both Jap and US versions. Ar Tonelico's translation was abit rushed though, with chunks of errors here and there.

As for Fantasm, expect a great game. Completed Jap version, nice to know the Us version's coming soon as well.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:41:27 AM »

I really really didn't like the 2nd AI game.  Like all of Gust's games, this one looks good, but all I've heard is pretty standard.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:45:45 PM »

I never have high expectations for Gust's games, they're a niche developer and they know their niche.  Old school style RPGs with a whimsical flare to them.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 02:29:42 AM »

You all know that I thoroughly enjoyed Atelier Iris ~ Eternal Mana 2 / Azoth of Destiny; for some reason, I found the game's setting to be very similar to Lunar 2 ~ Eternal Blue; that, and I noticed sytlistic similarities in both games' music. Don't ask me how.

Ar-Tonelico also seems to be shaping rather nice so far, first few hours in.

Because of this, I was hoping Grand Fantasm would be released in the 'States, and I'm definitely looking forward to it, now that an imminent release has been announced.

On a sidenote, I thought the original Atelier Iris was one of the most annoying sidequest / fetch quest RPGs out there. Going between the same two towns, or between one dungeon and one town as many as 4-5 times really got on my nerves. It was kind of like, make me go to that one dungeon one, maybe twice for a more in depth look, to unlock some big secret door, and then after that, be done with it!

The alchemy for anything other than spells was also very annoying, seeing as how I never had the ingredients, or could find them. It was like I always had to kill some obscure enemy for some obscure ingredient for some accessory or weapon that really didn't help me out. I never once bothered to craft weapons or accessories, and somehow, I managed to defeat Prism and Amalgam, the two toughest boss enemies in the game, just fine. Sure, it took multiple tries for Prism, and 30 minutes for Amalgam, but it beat the annoyance that was the alchemy system.

I like how the alchemy systems are so much simpler in AI2 and Ar-Tonelico. I've always said more customizability, the better, but make it too complicated, and after awhile, I'd just rather not even bother with it.

That, and AI2 and A-T advance in a nice straight line, without much backtracking.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 09:57:45 AM »

I have enjoyed the first two games in the series so I am pleased to see that this game is being localised for the US market.  Even though the first two games tend to feel more old school in terms of their overall look and battle mechanics, I thoroughly enjoyed them.  I eagerly anticipate getting the next game in the series.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 03:56:54 AM »

Oh joy, another game that'll have NISA's trademark shitty localization.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 02:08:16 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Oh joy, another game that'll have NISA's trademark shitty localization.

I dunno about that man; if the dialogue makes perfect sense to me, and they're actually able to make me laugh when they make a joke, regardless of whether it was in the original script or not, I think that's more than a decent job, and certainly not a shitty one. Not like they're trying to write a grand novel...but I guess, after reading translations by Japanese first-year English students (or vice-versa) one is able to appreciate most other translations...
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 02:36:39 PM »

It doesn't matter if they take artistic libterties or not. Their voice acting has become amateurish, they make awkward and irritating sentence translations, and generally do an ass job on anything not developed by NIS itself.

Fail.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 01:13:51 PM »

It doesn't matter if they take artistic libterties or not. Their voice acting has become amateurish, they make awkward and irritating sentence translations, and generally do an ass job on anything not developed by NIS itself.

Fail.

You think you could do a better job?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"

Fail.

You think you could do a better job?

He probably could.  He's a scholar of the language.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: