Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:26:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319774 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Replaying RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Replaying RPGs?  (Read 10137 times)
Aelph

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »

I've read most of the old posts on the board, and haven't seen this come up (at least not recently): How often do you revisit RPGs you've already finished? Are there certain aspects that might make you more likely to revisit particular old ones?

I'm curious because, for the first time, I've been playing some of the earlier FFs on the GBA (well, on the DS, but... yeah), as I was too young to play them the first time around. I've been gaming since 1988-ish, but at 4 years old, I wasn't exactly the audience those were aimed at... I was too busy sending Mario falling to his death. It seems like as soon as I finish a game with one set of jobs/classes, I immediately want to try again with a different set-up, a different group, and a different dynamic... just out of curiosity. And, of course, there's the added bonus of then having that much more gaming time, which is important when you're a poor 20-something.

And, um... hii'mnew. I'm Emily. Nice to meet you. I've only recently been pulled back into the world of gaming -- around last summer, when I got a DSLite -- after a hiatus of about 10 years (I always had a Gameboy of some sort, someone gave me a Gamecube, and I got a DS soon after they came out, but I've had nothing else since the N64). I was more an action/platformer/puzzle type as a kid, but I'm developing into an RPG-addict extraordinaire. And since I've only just gotten into them, I've got a wonderful wealth of back-catalogue to work through... and to feed my addiction, I've scraped and scrimped enough to get myself a PSP and a PS2 to go alongside my Nintendo fixation. I'm currently playing Tales of Eternia (love it, love it, love it), Kingdom Hearts (yes, the original -- but I'm already looking forward to 2) and FFXII (since that just got a release here in Europe). So I'm a newbie both here and to RPGs generally, but I'm an eager little beaver, so give me a chance. Or at least don't hurt me too much.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 04:54:53 PM »

Hello, welcome to the boards.  You actually read the rules and didn't just do a "I'm new" thread!   I think you'll do well here.

Anyways, I don't replay rpgs unless I never finished one and I can't remember what the hell is going on.  Rpgs are just too long for me to replay.  I'd rather take the free time that I have and experience something new.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 05:13:57 PM »

Well met, Emily.  Welcome.

I tend to replay RPGs whenever I get the chance.  Back when I was younger and had lots of spare time, I'd play every RPG I got twice.  Once on my own, then again with a strategy guide to get a "perfect file."  But this is impossible to do now with working so much and other bollocks and such.

Now I only replay the GOOD RPGs.  :P  I've replayed all the Fire Emblem games many times save for the GC one only due to not having a GC at this time...

Once I have the ability to play NTSC games again, I'll be playing Valkyrie Profile again.  For the fifth time.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:21:12 PM »

I replay particular games when I feel nostalgic for them. Sometimes I'm not as completionist during a replay as I am the first time I play through the game, and I'm more apt to skip text because I've already read it before, but I do enjoy playing games I've already beaten.

Other times I'll buy a game, play it until close to the end, quit, and come back a few years later, only to start a whole new file in which I actually complete the game.

I'm most likely to replay games from the Suikoden and Final Fantasy series, and I at least take a bit of time playing games that have a new game plus feature.

Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »

First and foremost, welcome. It feels a bit odd for me to welcome anyone seeming as I'm quite new as well, but just roll with it.

I replay a lot of my RPG's. Though I was much more intense with it when I was younger. These days, I've developed a strange sense of perfectionism instead. I'll treat you too a good example from just a few minutes ago.

I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy IX for like the eighth time in my life. It's one of those games that I always can replay after a while. Once more, I'm going for the "perfect file" which pretty much is the goal every time I replay a game. I remember when I was younger I would actually run through a game so I beat the "story" as soon as possible, and then start a new file and try to get everything possible. Any ho this is what happened.

Code:
I'm in Lindblum at the moment, partaking in the Festival of the Hunt. Seeming as I have this part of the game imprinted in the back of my head I wasn't expecting much difficulty. Problem is, I have a habit of mixing up where the Zaghnol, hope I got that spelled correctly, is in the Buisness District(he's at the shops, not at the church). Due to this mix up, I only had about 30 seconds left on the clock when I found him. One slash away from killing him, my time runs out.

But I was still in the lead, and as such, I won despite failing to kill the beast. But I couldn't accept it. So I turned off the game. And I'll just have to do it better this time.

That's a good example of how serious I take my gaming.

I will find you. Without fail.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:42:15 PM »

I rarely replay RPGs. Only a few have kept me going back, The Elder Scrolls with fan-modifications specifically.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:45:34 PM »

I'm always replaying old games.  I don't spend $50 on something I'm not gonna use repeatedly.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »

Besides my old Pokémon games, the only rpgs I've played through a couple times are Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
Viarca

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 08:02:29 PM »

I tend not to use guides/walkthroughs during the first play through of a game, but if I really enjoyed something, I will on occasion look to see if I missed anything significant.  Final Fantasy Tactics ended up getting replayed so I could get the hidden characters/content.  The other reason I’ve replayed something is to get alternate story arcs or endings (the Star Ocean games and Tactics Ogre come to mind).
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 08:51:28 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
I'm always replaying old games.  I don't spend $50 on something I'm not gonna use repeatedly.

^
^
^
^
^
^
^

/@
    \ \
  ___> \
 (__O)  \
(____@)  \
(____@)   \
 (__o)_    \
            \    \

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:32:36 PM »

I wish I could replay games more often than I do. The most time I had to replay games where those lovely middle school and high school years. As such, this is what i can remember playing:

FFV - I've beaten it 3 times now if you include the GBA game. I beat it once for fun, then I wrote my own walkthrough on the 'net the second time through (it was crap but it had screenshots to guide you), then again for FFV Advance.

FFVI - 4 times on this one. The first time I beat this, I had this weird glitch; when I went to get Gogo, one of those construction-worker-dudes kicked me off the bridge. In fact, he kicked me off the bridge a good half-dozen times. The last time it happened, I was SO angry that I mashed on my controller as I fell from one screen to the next. Then, I hit start to use potions/ethers (low hp/mp from the random encounters), and TADA! I had 99 of every item in the game, including the Paladin Shield, Ragnarok Sword, and whatnot. In Espers, I had Odin and Raiden simultaneously, which is supposed to be impossible. It was excellent. But I felt like it was cheating, so I beat it a second time that same year. Then there was the PSX remake. Ten years later, GBA port.

Chrono Trigger - Only fools didn't take the time to get ALL the endings. This took me three complete play-throughs instead of two, cuz I missed a few my second time around.

Alundra - Once by myself, once with a friend and my little brother...we had WAY too much fun with this game.

Star Ocean: The Second Story - Once with each protagonist in the lead. The first time I totally missed everything and got a crap ending. The second time I was on my way to the best ending, but I missed some trigger to get the last event with Chisato...it pissed me off.

Final Fantasy Adventure - I beat it once per summer for about...six summers in a row. It was my "family road trip" game.

Final Fantasy Legend II - Same as Adventure, but slightly less awesome for me. I probably beat it 3 times.

That's about it...except, more recently, I'd say I beat Ys: The Ark of Napishtim either 3 or 4 times and gotten really good at Time Attack.

I wish I had more time to play RPGs more than once, but as a devoted reviewer, I try and portion my time out evenly for as much stuff as I can. Currently, I can boast that I've beaten 101 RPGs...I won't stop until at least 200! :)

Ramza

PS - Welcome. You sound hip.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 09:41:22 PM »

I find myself replaying RPGs from time to time, especially last year during the pre-Christmas draught (before Okami, FF12, Tales of the Abyss, Twilight Princess, etc.) But I notice something, I hardly ever finish a game that I'm replaying. I usually get about 3/4 the way through and think, "eh, that was fun, onto something new". The only epic games I've only completed multipul times are Chrono Trigger (twice, and not on +) and Metroid Prime (about 3 or 4 times, all within a period of about a year). But so many great games, while being even better the second time through (FFVIII, FFIX, and Skies of Arcadia, in particular), I find myself turning off just before the point of no return.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »

I replay RPG's I especially like or that I feel the need to play again in order to understand the storyline better.  Overall, I've probably played through FF8 and Chrono Trigger atleast 5 times apiece.  Probably my favorite 2 rpgs of all time.

Other then that, I only replay certain games.  I've beaten and played through all of the FF games atleast twice.  Some games just age better then others.  Also, some games get ported (nearly all of the FF games for example) and I enjoy playing them on a different console.  I've yet to meet another person who owns FF7 and 8 for PC.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 09:58:51 PM »

In terms of replaying, it all depends on the game.  If the game is relatively short and has a new game plus feature where I can do a more rapid playthrough to get alternate endings, then yeah I'll replay it.  

If it's a 60 hour game, it's rare that I do.  Granted, back in ye olden days, I did replay Persona 1 multiple times (150 hours total) and enjoyed it every time, but I don't have that kind of time any more, which is one reason why I tend to go more for adventures and digital novels because they're fairly short and often have loads of replay value.  I'm lucky I even have time to beat those 20 hour or less digital novels (which I love so dearly.)  

I've gotten all but 3 or 4 endings in Yo-Jin-Bo and thanks to the fast forward feature, playthroughs are quick now.  

I like if a game has replay value (i.e. Chrono Trigger) but I'm more compelled to replay if it's 20 hours for one playthrough than 60.

If I have a GameShark, that's a different story.  I've often Gamesharked my way through the Midgar segments of FF7 multiple times (and to the Golden Saucer many times too) because Midgar and Golden Saucer are my favorite parts of the game.

I approve of this nonsense!
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 10:54:35 PM »

I really don't replay through many games, since I always seem to have other games on my plate (I'm not too fond of juggling multiple games). If I do hit a period of time where I have nothing to beat/want to play, then I usually end up popping in Final Fantasy IX, which is one of the few games I've actually felt the need to replay.

Sometimes, playing through a particular game reminds me of games that I've beaten in the past, which always gets me thinking and craving to replay them. For instance, I recently got the original Shadow Hearts game, and playing that has really sparked new interest into playing its sequel, seeing as though they are tied together storywise to a certain extent. It's also reminded me a lot of the Legend of Dragoon due to the timed button press battle system, so I'm definately going to give that a replay once a game drought rolls around.

Then there are those games like Threads of Fate, which are short, sweet, and very easy to replay through due to their overlapping game files and New Game + features. It's a shame that not many games give you a worthwhile New Game + feature, since that'd probably give me a lot more motivation to replay certain games. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: