Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:13:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334451 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Replaying RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Replaying RPGs?  (Read 11432 times)
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »

I'm okay!  I replay!

Sometimes I'll feel like going through a game again.  I like to wait five years between replays in order to make the experience fresh again.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 10:26:18 AM »

I replay games all the time.

I usually whip out Grandia (the first one) about once a year and go through a marathon session in about 3 days to get through it.

Great game.

I usually take a couple of weeks to play through Suikoden 1 and 2 about once a year as well.

Hi, I'm also new btw.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
DisturbedAngel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 01:02:39 PM »

I tend to find myself replaying older games all the time, almost more than I complete the newer games. I've beat Chrono Trigger, FFs 6-10, and the first three and last Suikodens more times than I can count. (ok Ive only beat suiko v twice, but I just got it for christmas gimme a break!) It seems that whenever a newer game can't hold my attention, I always take a break and immerse myself in nostalgia. Or whenever I hear a track from one of my old favorites, that gets me itching to play again. Makes it tough considering I have a bunch of old rpg soundtracks on my Zune.

(I'm new too, shhh don't tell anyone)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2007, 05:34:38 PM »

Usually I only replay an rpg if I never finished it first time round, so I can remind myself of the plot and learn how to play it again. Thing is, I've only ever completed an unfinished rpg on a  replay once and that was FF 6. All the other times I've tried to do everything better and then eventually given up  from boredom. Same goes with ones I have finished already.
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 01:50:47 PM »

Welcome, Emily. ^^ I'm a lurker most of time since I'm currently unable to play games much (and until a few months ago I had no PS2 >< missing all of the "new" generation after the original PS/Saturn/N64) :P
But anyways, I like to replay most games I finish, but sometimes I dont get to finish the second run. The ones I did replay and finished are:

Phantasy Star IV: Love it up to this day. The first electronic RPG I had the pleasure of trying out \o\~ I never had it myself, just rented about every weekend for months during middle school XD And I never had the bad luck of having someone else renting it in the middle of the week and erasing/overwritting my File. But yeah, I just had a lot of fun playing it and replayed about 7 times. There was a point where I played from the start and got to finish it before the weekend ended x.x

Final Fantasy IV: Ok, theorically I didn't "replay" since I only got to finish it once. Basically I played it on SNES, reached the last boss, but couldnt beat it. After many attempts I got fed up and quit trying. Many years later I get the PSX remake and try the game again, finally reaching the last boss once more and killing it after over 30 (no joke) attempts on the last boss.

Final Fantasy VII: For a long time it was my only game on PSX. As a result I played it and replayed several times. Even used GameShark at a point ot get access to Sephiroth, as well as Aeris. It was fun beating the Weapons with her. Sephiroth sucked because I never managed to find out the code to control him, if there was one, so he kept on casting random elemental shit, which cured Emerald >< It's a fun game, and I might try it again soon. Need to try some odd MATERIA combos as well as rewatch the storyline.

Final Fantasy VIII: My second PSX game. I was already kinda burnt out of playing FFVII and beating it in every way possible. I loved FF8, in fact it's my second favorite FF up to this day. Specially because of the setting on which the story takes place. Who never dreamed of studying in a Garden? X) And I plan to try that again soon, because I never got to make a "perfect file" on it despite replaying about 2-3 times. Quistis rules.

Final Fantasy Tactics: My favorite FF. I never got to make a perfect file on it either, and I never owned it (rented and later on borrowed from a friend). Anyone wanna send me a copy? A PSP with the upcoming remake also works lol >< The storyline is amazing, and it was what got me replaying multiple times, though the battle system and character customization helped on that X) I also used to know the logic behind some GameShark Codes back then, and with that I was able to create my own jobs and stuff like that on my 3rd replay. It could get 'buggy' at random points though :/

Xenogears: One of the best RPGs ever. I've replayed this one 2 times, but oh wow, they were totally worth it. After the second replay, I just worked on perfecting my file. Sometimes when bored I would just turn it on and do some deathblows on random mobs to pass the time. As a result my characters were all lvl 85+ when I stopped playing this game XD The Kislev Arena was pretty fun too, I liked playing versus my friends there 8D~ As good as some fighting games.

Chrono Trigger: I find its storyline pretty weak. But the OST, along with the game system and the character design really draw me in. I played it a lot just to kill random mobs, like Xenogears. Got all endings. Oh, I did it on the PSX remake, never played on SNES (my cousin said I was "too dumb to understand RPGs" when I was little and saw it for the first time, it was a year before I played PSIV, my first RPG as mentioned above).

Chrono Cross: I like it more than CT. Finished it the first time, then before I started a New Game+, my Memory Card was damaged and I lost all data in it T_T I ended up replaying it, finished again. Started, but never got to finish a New Game+ though.

Legend of Mana: Not sure why I replayed this. But I did. It was fun, lots of customization, the several plots are light and some characters just have charisma (Elazul and Pearl's plot was my favorite).

These are the ones I remember, there may be more I've replayed but dont come up to my mind right now X)
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 01:45:07 PM »

I all ways finish what i have  started, no matter how long it takes .I love old school games...If it wasn't for old games non of the this next gen games would have made here....I would replay a game if the story is great..I dont mind the graphis at all..

god is god
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »

That highly depends on the game.

I used to generally replay an RPG at least I once but...

now that there are so many games out there I can't even play through all the new ones I want too and sometimes don't finish what I have.

A few games that I replayed recently are Skyrim and  Dragon Age : Origins ... that's about it I think since I got back into gaming in the last year. This is why I love ARPGs like Diablo and Torchlight. to me nothing makes me wanna replay a game more than randomization.

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »

That highly depends on the game.

I used to generally replay an RPG at least I once but...

now that there are so many games out there I can't even play through all the new ones I want too and sometimes don't finish what I have.

A few games that I replayed recently are Skyrim and  Dragon Age : Origins ... that's about it I think since I got back into gaming in the last year. This is why I love ARPGs like Diablo and Torchlight. to me nothing makes me wanna replay a game more than randomization.

Whoah! Necromancy much?

But not to waste this post I might as well add that one of these days I should get around to replaying DQs V and/or VIII.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »

I've replayed a few PS1 RPGs thanks to the PSOne Classics (for a GOOD price!!) on PSN. Specifically ... Alundra, FF7, and Vagrant Story. I will probably also re-play Chrono Cross and Legend of Dragoon this way. And if I'm feeling REALLY ambitious, Xenogears too.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 01:05:21 AM »

I replay the classics frequently, though maybe not to completion as i've finished most of them several times. By classics i mean the 90's Square games like FF 5-9, mana and CT. Suikoden, Breath of Fire.and Shadow Hearts are on that list too......as are others.. SNES to the PS2 generation had the best Rpg's ever. Jrpgs anyway.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »

welcome emily i lurked this site for like two year before i took the plunge i don't think i've ever really introduced myself formally my name is brian and i'm a rpg junkie it's really all i play aside from a few action titles, i missed the psx era so i'm slowly working on a backlog as well while trying to keep on top of current gems too.

the only ones i can remember replaying are ff1. i'm in the middle of ff4 right now. the reason i replay is usually i get right to the end and don't finish i gotta finish dragon age one of these days but i'm thinking i might restart from the beginning.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »

Not all that much. I've tried replaying plenty, but it's rarely as much fun as the first time round. It's better when I wait a number of years between playthroughs, long enough to forget parts, but even then some of the older games don't live up to my memories of them.

I wish more games offered alternative paths so there was more of an incentive to replay them.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »

If I do, it's always on a higher difficulty. With SMT games, I go after the uber boss.

A game has to be REAL good for me to do this immediately after it.

Riviera was the last game I did that for.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »

I typically only replay RPGs to get an updated opinion on them so I can rewrite previous reviews I did for them, although there are rare instances in which I'll actually go through a game again, for instance, recently with Ys Origin or Valkyrie Profile DS so I could see all the endings.

Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

I replay through RPGs often. Heck, I'll even make a save file right before every boss in a game so I can pick it up and play an awesome battle immediately.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: