Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 01:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329490 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Digital Devil Saga
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Digital Devil Saga  (Read 2679 times)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2007, 02:42:19 AM »

I notice that a good number of RPG Fan board members hold the Digital Devil Saga in high esteem; don't hide, I've seen your avatars!

My question is, why is this? I actually just picked up Digital Devil Saga 2, (probably won't ever have a chance to play the original, seeing as how rare and expensive it is) and while the cut scenes are beautifully animated, and rather well voiced over, I notice that the gameplay is pretty traditional RPG fare, making the game reminiscent of Xenosaga, with what seems to be a focus on cut scenes, and giving you little more than traditional, turn-based RPGameplay.

What can I expect out of this game that makes it so great? I notice that the dungeon graphics, and sometimes even the design layouts, are repetitive. Is it just the plot I have to look forward to, or does gameplay get anymore involved than it is some few hours into the beginning?

For that matter, how many hours of cut scenes can I expect? I'm intent on making a VHS recording of all the cut scenes back-to-back, so I can watch it and better sort out the plot. How long of a VHS do you think I'll need? 6 hours? 8 hours? 9 hours?

Lastly, I'd like to ask about the two games' soundtracks: how stylistically different from the first is the second? Is the second more or less upbeat, and how much more or less ominous than the first?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »

I liked the gameplay, but it is pretty standard (in fact, it's ripped right out of the third SMT).  The biggest draw of DDS and the followup was the plot, which had a habit of doing things I least expected (for good or bad).  While it isn't quite as cutscene heavy as say Xenosaga, it is pretty close.

In terms of music I liked the followup's much more on a whole, though it seemed more technoish than ominous.  It's hard to explain until you hear it, but it is a huge difference from the first.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
I liked the gameplay, but it is pretty standard (in fact, it's ripped right out of the third SMT).  

You're saying they change up the gameplay in the third SMT?
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »

For me, it was definately the plot that got me hooked. It's definately a complex series, and while I'm not one to understand the major religious undertones presented, the main story is fantastic, mostly due to the excellent characters, and the way they develop over the course of the story. The way the story is presented, it'll really tug at your heartstrings and get you emotional over what is going on with the different charaters (particularly the Embryon), which was something a bit different for me. Before DDS, I can't say that I've ever gotten overly emotional for a particular video game character, let alone an entire cast of them (as with DDS).

Paired alongside an interesting, tough-as-nails battle system that actually requires you to think before shooting off any ol' spell, and you've got yourself a winner in my book.

Just a quick comment, but I'd highly recommend dropping the extra bones for the first DDS. It's half of the series afterall, and I'd definately think you'd enjoy the series more as a whole if you took in each half of the story. That should be a no brainer, but for a game as plot heavy as DDS, I think it'd be a smart move.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:22:08 PM »

I wouldn't even consider playing DDS2 without having gone through the first.  That's like getting half a blowjob. :P  Especially considering how the games are set up:  DDS1 sets up the characters, while the sequel provides the plot.

Here's the greatest selling point, in my opinion:  there are more hermaphrodites per capita than in pretty much every other game on the PS2 combined.  Good stuff. \m/

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
I wouldn't even consider playing DDS2 without having gone through the first.  That's like getting half a blowjob. :P  Especially considering how the games are set up:  DDS1 sets up the characters, while the sequel provides the plot.

Here's the greatest selling point, in my opinion:  there are more hermaphrodites per capita than in pretty much every other game on the PS2 combined.  Good stuff. \m/

Well, if I can muster up the $100+ it takes to buy it, and find a reputable merchant who actually delivers on their promises, I probably will. Still DDS2, as is, still feels like it could stand alone, though you definitely get the feeling you're getting into something in the middle of it.

Again now, how much gameplay time, and how much cut scene time do you think DDS2 has?

P.S. Sketch, gotta love the Atma cat!
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:14:32 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"

Again now, how much gameplay time, and how much cut scene time do you think DDS2 has?

I could be wrong, but I would say no more then an hour and a half. The game is first and foremost a dungeon crawler and frankly, comparing it to Xenosaga is laughable. The game is gameplay oriented and you can see that in the depth of the battle system and the intricate nature of the dungeons.

The story segments are quiet powerful and very well written but in comparison to the rest of the game they are quiet minimal.

EDIT: Not to there isn't a lot of story, it just relies more on understanding the subtle references and imagery.
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 12:21:56 AM »

That's 100% truth. You will only get 1/2 the possible enjoyment you would get other-wise. As for me, I loved everything about the series. Wasn't the most original as far as the combat was concerned(like it's been said, Nocturne did the whole deal before DDS, they are almost the same thing), but the plot, music, voice-acting, was to me, brilliant.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »

I enjoyed it, overall. Though I enjoyed Nocturne's story alot more.

It's worth getting the first game and playing through both.

Gives you extra stuff with your saved game!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »

Well, if I can muster up the $100+ it takes to buy it, and find a reputable merchant who actually delivers on their promises, I probably will. Still DDS2, as is, still feels like it could stand alone, though you definitely get the feeling you're getting into something in the middle of it.

$100? I got my copy for $35 off ebay. It came without instructions, but what do I need those for anyways?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 02:59:29 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"

$100? I got my copy for $35 off ebay. It came without instructions, but what do I need those for anyways?

$100 is what it'll cost new, for the case, cover art, manual, game itself, and everything you'll need to maintain it's collectible value, so you can sell it for twice the amount you bought it for so many years from now.
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »

Digital Devil Saga 2 was just released here in Europe, and I got my hands on a copy of the collectors edition yesterday. So, I had to sprint the final dungeon in DDS:1, where I had stopped playing about three months ago so that I could engross myself in the continuing story.

I've only played for about 5 hours so far, but I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's odd, but I feel that it's a much more engaging game than DDS:1. I feel like the first game was really just made to set up for the second. Don't get me wrong, the first one was good too, but I felt that it lacked something(not counting the story that is).

I find the game play to be quite standard, but I'm really getting into it. It's one of those games where I just enjoy leveling my characters, which aren't very many. Also, but maybe this is only me, you don't encounter enemies as frequent as you usually do when playing a Megaten game which is a really welcome change.

I will find you. Without fail.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:31:56 PM »

DDS2 is cheaper (much cheaper) than the original DDS...why is this? Is this because it hasn't been selling well? And is that due to the fact that most people are skiddish about buying a direct sequel for a game which most people didn't get the opportunity to play?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 07:42:42 PM »

It probably hasn't sold quite as well: They probably produced roughly equal numbers to DDS1, and naturally a direct story followup will have fewer people getting it than the original. Heck, that happens with most sequels unless it's super amazing or something, as Jak and Ratchet both had slowly dropping sales over the course of their series.

While one and a half hours of cutscenes is plausible for Nocturne, I'm pretty sure there's quite a bit for DDS. I'd be on the safe side and go for 9 hours, but it's most likely you'd really just need something like 4 hours of time.

And "RPGameplay" is one of the worst things I've ever read.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »

Lastly, I'd like to ask about the two games' soundtracks: how stylistically different from the first is the second? Is the second more or less upbeat, and how much more or less ominous than the first?

Not much difference. They're both awesome. I like 2 a little more.

Ramza

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: