Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 04:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329221 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mazes Of Fate for the GBA.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mazes Of Fate for the GBA.  (Read 1657 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2007, 05:57:45 PM »

Has anyone heard of this game before? Not me, until today anyway. It's a first person RPG that should appeal to fans of those old first person rpg's that used to come out all the time for the PC. Aside from Lands of Lore, I've never liked these games, but I post about this game here for a few reasons. One is that it is apparently the first RPG/game developed in Latin America to be released on a Nintendo console. Two, while it was released in November, I've never seen it anywhere and looking up some info about the game online tonight I found out that almost all of the game retailers have decided to not even carry the game for some reason. Three, the graphics are STUNNING! I'm not kidding, they look DS quality and the dozen or so screens I saw I almost couldn't believe were of a GBA game. Fourth, while the game seems pretty cliche (almost all first person RPG's are), it does seem rather in-depth and engaging judging from the game description and features. Seriously, if you haven't seen the screenshots yet, just search for some. I was going to post some screenshots here, but I don't think we're allowed to, or at least I've never seen anyone do it in the quite a while since I've been a member.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:13:36 PM »

I have it on my GameFly account, somewhere down there on the queue. I plan on playing it eventually. A lot of people said bad things about the game, but I'll see for myself when I get the chance.

Ramza

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:44:38 PM »

I don't think I'd even want to play it simply because it's a first person RPG. But for a first person RPG on the GBA it looks and sounds damn good. Those kinds of graphics shouldn't be possible on the GBA! I read a review that said it offered nothing new, but that is usually how first person RPG players usually like it. Then, I read another review that said it offered up new things. I read the features of the game, and it seemed to be a pretty in depth game. I'd probably buy it if it wasn't in first person. If it's that rare of a game, maybe I should buy it anyway. May be worth some bucks before too long.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »

For anyone curious, here's the official site: http://www.mazesoffate.com/

COnsider my curiosity piqued.  I've dug some RPGs with first person dungeons like Shin Megami Tensei, the original Phantasy Star.

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:27:52 PM »

Hmm... the article I read on this game said that the dedicated gaming stores and Amazon weren't carrying this game, just Amazon vendors and the company itself. But, Amazon definitely has it for 29.99. I also read somewhere the company may make a version for the DS. I probably wouldn't buy that either if it's a first person RPG, but I'd definitely like to see some other RPg from this developer. If they can get those graphics out of the GBA, imagine what they can do on the DS.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 12:24:51 PM »

Awesome! GBA is the newest system I own and I've been dying a little bit inside since nothing comes out for it anymore. Plus, I totally dig first-person style dungeon crawlers. I just ordered the game. Maybe I'll tell you guys what's it like when I get it.

Apparently the developer made another action/adventure type game, Back to Stone, or something? Looks kind of boring, but great graphics.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:36:23 PM »

Alright, I finally got this game and have put about 3 or 4 hours into it. First of all, while the graphics may look great on screenshots, in action the game is choppy and looks horrible.

However, the game play is pretty tight. It's got a quest-based progression (like a lot of American RPGs) with tons of optional quests. The dungeons are indeed massive and are chock full of secret doors, hidden switches, treasues, and optional segments. There is so much crap to be done that it seems impossible to get it done on the first play through.

Character customization is decent and there are a good variety of non-combatative skills to level up that actually affect game play (eloquence helps you get more quests, search helps you find secret doors, etc.) There are some cool skills but you don't get that many points to spend on them when you level up so you've got to choose a couple and really specialize.

All in all, it's pretty fun. Already I found a bug though. I completed a quest and it didn't get deleted from my quest log. UGH! Regardless, if you're a big fan of western-style dungeon crawler RPGs, it's worth a play. It reminds me a lot of Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit for GBC but with alot more to do.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: