Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 05:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338404 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner  (Read 2186 times)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:06:57 PM »

Is this game fucking impossible to find in stores, or is this just my freakish area? :P I've been reading some reviews, and while RPGamer gave it a piss score, 1UP gave it a pretty fair rundown. Despite having some faults, I could use another RPG for the PSP. I would like to remember the PSP as having, at least... 10 good games for it. So, anyone managed to buy this?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »

Don't worry, it's just impossible to find games that have yet to be released.

I had my eye on it, but 1up's review worries me some. Thena gain, given how most RPGs as of late are, it's not like losing exploration is anything new.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:29:03 PM »

How odd. Thanks for clearing that up. RPGamer had listed the game as releasing on 2/13, and Gamestop has that game in the "now shipping" category, yet like you pointed out, it says it's shipping on 2/19, WTF. Yeah, well I'm not too bummed on not having any exploration. I've played plenty of games like that, and I enjoyed them for their strengths.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 06:15:58 PM »

The game was just delayed today.  I was going to pick it up this week, but I guess I'll get it next week.

As for 1Up, I'm never reading one of their PSP reviews again.  They trashed Syphon Filter Dark Mirror, Killzone Liberation, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, and most every big PSP game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "Mana Knight"
As for 1Up, I'm never reading one of their PSP reviews again.  They trashed Syphon Filter Dark Mirror, Killzone Liberation, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, and most every big PSP game.

How is this trashed now? Admittedly the EGM scores are lower, but then that's /EGM/, not 1up. And Ratchet's score was hardly bad: In my book, 7 basically just means it's a good game, but not anything truly fantastic, and 1up seems to agree since 7-8.5 = 'Good'. Oh, and here's one big PSP game that definitely didn't get trashed.

But hey, the point of reviews is to read those that'd give a good indication of what you'd like, and if you really disagree with all those reviews, then I guess 1up's worthless as a source of PSP reviews for you.

Edit: For some reason the MGS:PO review isn't showing the score. Well, it was 9.5. I also changed scores to reviews in the last paragraph since those are more important than some silly number.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:53:20 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
then I guess 1up's worthless as a source of PSP reviews for you.

And I would share that sentiment with Mana Knight.  On the EGM podcast 2 weeks ago (EGM & 1up are sister companies, Eusis, so its hard not to think of them in a similar light) they painted quite a glorious picture of the R&C PSP game.  After hearing that, and seeing a 7.0 score from 1up, I can't exactly say I trust their reviews.

As for Monster Kingdom, I find this statement from the review:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3157172

"But man, there were times where I just wanted to zip around and gather monsters, but I had to put up with everyone yammering at each other for over 20 minutes. It wouldn't be so annoying if this was on a home console, but on the bus to work, there should be less reading and more monster bashing."

And this statement from the preview:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3148338&sec=PREVIEWS

"Those going in looking for a traditional RPG may feel a bit bewildered at the lack of gameplay. Yet those who enjoy dialogue-heavy adventure games with great presentation, entertaining stories, and challenging combat should find themselves very satisfied with the game"

Pretty self-explanitory as to why the review was but a bit higher than average.  The preview even clearly states that there is a higher ratio of dialogue to gameplay, so I think the expectations of the reviewer weren't exactly in tune with what the game offers.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 08:02:06 PM »

They're closer to sister publications than companies: They're both owned by Ziff Davis, and are not in fact actual individual companies. Therefore, it might be more accurate to say that you wouldn't trust Ziff Davis period for reviews.

Personally, I think the dialogue critique can be a fair one for a portable game. It'd kinda suck to boot it up getting ready to play, then have to turn it off because you didn't actually make any progress, just read a lot. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure VP scored very well, and that's worse thanks to a lack of a quick save, and forcing you to basically plow through the dungeon until you reach a save point before you can stop without losing your progress or periods. And unlike the DS, it doesn't sound like the PSP lasts for forever while asleep.

That just cements why the reviews are more important than the scores though - you could read a negative review but simply be reassured in your commitment to buy since all the critiques are irrelevant to you.

Edit: Oh yeah, as for the Preview and Review of Jewel Summoner: Keep in mind they got totally different people there. It's not like there's only one person doing all of this and is a fickle son of a bitch. Heck, half the time anywhere you won't have the same person doing the review and preview.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 11:47:07 PM »

Completely understood about the differences between the reviewer & the previewer.  My point here is that the preview establised an expectation that the review did not acknolwedge.

The review "wanted" the game to have less dialog & more action, after the preview said that the game did not have that.  On a very minimal level, you could say that the reviewer should have read the preview!  On a more professional level, the reviewer could have still rated the game as he saw fit, while stating that the game would have benefited from less dialog & more action.  It comes across a lot more professional, especially in light of what the preview from his fellow employee had already established.

I know I'm expecting a level of semi-professional journalism from a game review site, and its not likely to happen.  However, its why I say that I am not a fan of Ziff Davis, both EGM & 1up as you have stated.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »

One thing every single reviewer did say about Monster Kingdom was that it has excessive dialogue.  People who know me well, know that I'm a huge fan of the Xenogears/Xenosaga series, mostly because of the excessive dialog/cutscenes.  Without a doubt, this should be an RPG I'll love, but I'll wait to judge it when I buy it.

Yeah, I know about MGS: PO getting a pretty good review at 1UP, but that was one of the few to get a good review from them.  But in all reality, I have never been a fan of Ziff Davis reviews.  I brought up the 1UP reviews since there was a big discussion about it at GAF.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »

I won't touch the whole GAF and 1up thing, and I haven't lurked to find that particular discussion. Given some of what I've seen before though, I'm inclined to believe the thread likely hasn't been completely rational.

Looking elsewhere, I noticed a Lunar Knights review at Games Radar had the same 'too much dialogue' complaint... Yet unless that changes right at the end of the game or something, I don't really recall anything that took longer than a few minutes at best to read through; heck, that might be an exaggeration. While not reviewed by Games Radar obviously, that just makes me wonder about Jewel Summoner: Is it something along the lines of VP, where you can get fairly long cutscenes? Or is this just frequent dialog that the reviewer thought was poor for portables?

And thinking about it more, I think long cinematic FFX/MGS style cutscenes, or at least constantly progressing voice acting would be more harmful than just a lot of text. At that point, it's almost akin to reading something: If you need to stop, put the handheld to sleep then resume at a better time. Of course those have the advantage of letting you read what was prior, but developers could (and should) take the time to let you review earlier conversation. I wouldn't really feel the same about watching a overly long cutscene on the bus or something, especially if the developers are idiots and don't let me pause.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:49:47 AM »

Picked this game up last week, and honestly I'm really enjoying it so far.  One of the biggest problems with the dialogue is not just that there's a lot of it, but that the PSP has a short loading time before each bit of dialogue.  Its not as long as normal loading times, but it can be a bit annoying over time.  (The reason for this is the voice dialog, which is a nice touch for a portable game but I wouldn't mind having the ability to turn it off if I so choose)

Characters are fairly standard fare, and the battle system, while simplistic, works very well.  I'm only about 2 hours into the game, but so far it was worth the purchase for me.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »

Have it, played it, fucking hated it.

Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »

I've been having a lot of trouble finding the game.  I want to pick up another PS3 game, but I just can't pass this game up, so I may get it next time I go to Fry's (An hour away from me).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: