Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Japan-only rpg games for Playstation 1 & 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Japan-only rpg games for Playstation 1 & 2  (Read 2671 times)
Myollnir

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:47:35 PM »

Hi!
I'm looking to bolster my gamelibrary with a few japanese rpg titels, and i just got my japanese ps2 :) However, my knowledge of the japanese game market isn't as good as it should be, and now I'm wondering which japan-only rpgs are worth buying?

I have Namco x Capcom, Person 2 IS, Growlanser, Tales of Rebirth & Tales of Destiny 2 and Venus and Braves.

Which other titles are there to buy? Thanks a lot! :)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 08:21:43 AM »

Popolocrois 2 is a quality Japanese-only RPG for the PS1 that I enjoyed (there's a PSP version that combines Popolocrois 1&2 into one game but I hear it isn't nearly as good as the originals).  It's very cute.

The PS1 & PS2 Summon Night games are great Strategy/RPGs (aside from Ex Thesis which is a Zelda-style game).  I only own Summon Night 3 personally, but I'd put it in my top 3 best console Strategy/RPG list.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:38:17 AM »

Get Devil Summoner:Soul Hackers.

I want to play this game so bad.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:04 PM »

VENUS & BRAVES

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:49:10 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
The PS1 & PS2 Summon Night games are great Strategy/RPGs (aside from Ex Thesis which is a Zelda-style game).  I only own Summon Night 3 personally, but I'd put it in my top 3 best console Strategy/RPG list.

Whoa, they're strategy RPGs? That must mean that they're completely different from the two GBA Summon Night games (which are certainly action/RPGs). Weird, who would've imagined?
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:13:52 AM »

Willy,

Anyone who kept up with the series would think in completely backwards order from you. The GBA games were released as little side-story projects after Summon Night was firmly established as a strategy RPG franchise.

In response to the original post:

the Langrisser series. Though they were originally seen on Sega consoles, I believe they all eventually made it to PS1.

Ramza

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 09:13:38 AM »

The Sakura Taisen ~ Atsuki Chishio Ni remake is pretty fucking hot.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Anyone who kept up with the series would think in completely backwards order from you. The GBA games were released as little side-story projects after Summon Night was firmly established as a strategy RPG franchise.

I just did some reading on the original Summon Night series. I'm not sure if they're my thing, but they look interesting. You learn something new every day.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »

Yeah. It's doubtful that any of the main-series Summon Night games would ever have a shot of coming to the US. Summon Night 4 just came out a few months ago on PS2, but right on the heels of that, Flight-Plan released Dragon Shadow Spell (which I'd consider a superior game to SN4).

If you import, I'd definitely check the series out.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »

On the note of Summon Night, it may be worth reading this.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Yeah. It's doubtful that any of the main-series Summon Night games would ever have a shot of coming to the US. Summon Night 4 just came out a few months ago on PS2, but right on the heels of that, Flight-Plan released Dragon Shadow Spell (which I'd consider a superior game to SN4).

If you import, I'd definitely check the series out.

I'm pretty burned out on Tactics-style games right now. They basically flooded the PS2 with them and they all lack any sort of real identity for me. Eusis's article didn't do much to convince me of the Summon Night series' merits either - it described it as an easier more general audience Tactics Ogre game. Although, for those who really love the isometric, grid-based strategy RPG, I can see where the series might have its followers.

Weird that even weapon smithing system seems to only appear in the GBA games too. Other than the "summon creatures" (which is a pretty generic idea in itself), they are completely different games.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 08:25:48 AM »

There are several things that I really liked about Summon Night 3.

The Brave Clear system - If you beat a story stage without any characters dying and without having overleved characters, you get a Brave Clear.  This increases your Party Point Max and gives you special Party abilities that can be equipped to your party with said Party Points.  These abilities are stuff like "Increase all Characters Max HP by +X%," "Spells of a certain type have their MP Cost cut in half," "Increase counter-attacks," and so on.  This really gives an incentive to use strategy in combat instead of just powerleveling through the game (and trust me, it's a very hard game if you're going for Brave Clears in every battle).

The Magic System - Magic is learned by combining a soul stone of a certain element (of which there are 5) and an accessory.  Sometimes the combination will result in a new set of spells (which can be then equipped like a Materia to characters), sometimes it'll result in a new summon, sometimes it'll result in a new item or piece of equipment, and other times, it results in nothing.  I thought it was fun trying out the different combinations.

LV-Up system - At the end of each battle, you get a pool of XP which is used to LV up any character(s) you feel like.  None of that annoying "My healer needs to kill things otherwise she doesn't level up" nonsense that you see in many Strategy/RPGs.

Lots of secrets - Multiple endings, hidding characters join your team, hidden scenarios - it's got it all.

And I don't know why it said that you couldn't customize your characters.  With each LV-up you get extra points that can be added to the stats of your choosing.  Plus it's your call what magic you want to equip to your characters.  Then you add a good deal of equipment to choose from and I don't know what the writer was talking about (maybe one of the earlier games).

I will admit that there's a lot of dialogue which can be annoying if you don't read Japanese.  Other than that though, I'd say it's an excellent game and easily up there with Disgaea and the Super Robot Wars games.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: