Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 03:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331455 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i give up.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: i give up.  (Read 9644 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:10:29 PM »

ffxii is the most over rated sack of shit ive ever played. i dare say its the worst Final fanatasy game i've ever played,and i've played 7-12 both tactics and ff5. thats right folks its worse than FFX-2. i find it amusing how they managed to take a somewhat fun game (ffxi had its moments) and COMPLETELY destroy its battle system. the summons are horrible. honestly i found the best use for them is to summon a tier 1 summon and syphon its mp until you have 3 mist charges. the only cool thing about them is that they are mostly from final fanatasy tactics and tactics advance. Totema's from tactics advance and zodiac braves from tactics. the liscence board is stupid FFX international's version of the sphere grid was better. i can deal with needing to spend points to get access to new weapons,armor and magic/skills but accessories? come on now. another problem with this game is it indirectly punishes you for not exlporing or doing sidequests. if you just go from point A to point B without at least exploring you will find yourself quickly underleveled. i tried to force myself through it for the story but i couldnt do it anymore. when i was stopped i just died at some zombie dragon at a lighthouse.

-rant over now excuse me while i play rouge galaxy an rpg thats actually fun.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:32:20 PM »

You play PSO and PSU. So that guts about half of your argument.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 11:48:42 PM »

Hey, let's go do Forest 2 again.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »

Actually, I agree.  I found the game quite over-rated...and a damned bore. I'll admit the game looks pretty,  but characters feel as though they are reaaalllyy lacking (both story-wise, and on the field seeing as how each character can be rasised the same, you pick who looks best on screen).

I liked how the game had a bit more politics (which beats the traditional hero pursuing a holy relic to save the world from destruction with the trophy wench haning on his arm).  

Battles felt really tedious, and the lisense board was nothing really extraordinary.

Summing up, and thinking about it, I liked everything about the game but playing it. =S

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:57:04 AM »

I do like the game itself overal, and have no qualms about the gameplay personally. I just have one problem, and thats characters. I strongly prefer good characters over good plot (no matter how compelling), and it was hard for me to kept going in FFXII since I found the characters to be dull and "just there". It's really a love it or hate it FF game.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 01:03:38 AM »

I don't think anybody would call FFXII flawless or anything.  Hell, with that drastic of a change in the series, I'd have to scratch my head in wonder at someone who does.  But don't get mad just because you bought the hype. :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:17:48 AM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
I don't think anybody would call FFXII flawless or anything.

I think Mark did.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 01:27:29 AM »

FFXII is overated. Sure its a good game in presentation but thats it.

RG offers great gameplay, but crap story.

In the end, we lose out either way.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 01:49:35 AM »

The constant focus on story as being one of the most critical parts of a game is starting to piss me off, to be blunt. Even if I'm probably being hypocritical to some degree with it.

Edit: Might even be a good idea to just have a thread on the importance of story/narrative in a game. Not just RPGs, games period.
ssoass

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 02:48:33 AM »

I love FFXII... loved it the first time where, at the final boss, I had put in more time on the clock than in any other RPG I have ever played (110 hours), and loving it even more now the second time through.
It's perhaps my favorite FF along with FFVI, it's definitely the most fun thanks to the battle system, the world is the best and most worked out I've seen in any game, and the music, characters, backstory, etc. that accompany the world are all amazing.

The only qualm I have with the game is that I think the developers, since it's a main series FF,  capitulated too much to make the story more more mainstream, accessable FF than the dark, sinister Vagrant Story, which was really as perfect as you can get as far as intriguing storytelling goes.
If FFXII had been allowed to go all out with the story Vagrant Story style, it would have been the best, no questions asked.
But still, FFXII still retains a lot of Vagrant Story-ishm and Matsuno's influence is felt throughout, so I won't complain too much.

Too bad you don't like it, I don't get how you can't, but that's what opinions are all about. :D
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 03:47:58 AM »

I never called FFXII flawless, but it's pretty damned near in my eyes. :P Still, to each his or her own.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 05:24:01 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Hey, let's go do Forest 2 again.

Hold on let me finish writing this chapter.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 07:21:33 AM »

It's really overrated. I played it for about 40 hours, during which I had to beat myself to continue simply because deep down inside I was holding out hope that the game was going to pull around and become enjoyable. But the bitter truth is that it doesn't. Now, I realize that many do enjoy the game, but to me, it's nothing more than a colossal disappointment.

To me the worst part of the game was it's complete lack of atmosphere. When playing, I didn't feel like doing anything. I didn't want to explore the overly sized and ultimately boring world, I didn't feel like continuing the story and every time I came to a new "dungeon" I just wanted it be over as soon as possible. The in game systems(licenses) are absolutely dreadful and unrewarding, you have to actually farm for gil, the majority of the characters are uninteresting and it just isn't fun to play. It isn't because it's different from the earlier FF(By the way, was I the only one who actually liked X-2? I mean sure, the story wasn't much, but it was really fun to play, it had a great atmosphere and in my own opinion the best fighting system the series has ever had). It's because FF XII just isn't  a very good game.

But, it's all about personal tastes, as it is with all games.

I will find you. Without fail.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »

I wonder if these may be reasons why FF13 is going back to the ATB battle system and more classic FF interfaces among other things.  

I like FF12 for the story (I like tight political intrigue), characters (Balthier and Fran are kinda like Han and Chewie; Basch is cool too), and atmosphere (Rabanastre's become one of my favorite RPG towns of all time), but I'm not as compelled to drop everything and play it as I have been with other games.  Some of the gameplay choices are absurd in my book.  I feel the license board and the cumbersome means of earning money add needless complexity to a game that would be more fun and IMO work best with a more streamlined, intuitive, "normal" RPG interface.  I felt like the game was trying too hard to have complex, deep, innovative make-you-think-differently gameplay when it didn't really need it.  I'm a Megami Tensei fan so I can dig complex make-you-think-differently gameplay, but Megami Tensei's complexities feel more streamlined and MAKE SENSE within the context of the game's world; there's a method to the madness.  With FF12, I feel as if the license board system doesn't meld/jive well within the context of the game's world, is completely disconnected, and ultimately annoying.      

Battling in parties is fun, but battling solo reminds me of Contact (and I hated that game.  My review of it was kindly objective.)  And either way, it's about time FF stopped using random encounters.  I think that's a dated and archaic practice and having see-your-enemies-beforehand encounters was great.  

FF12 is a "GameShark" game for me.  It's a game where I'd want to use gameshark codes to max out everyone's stats and play the game purely for the story without having to worry about wasting time doing twiddly, absurd, un-fun gameplay stuff.  It would be more fun and less tedious for me that way.  

Still, the fact that FF12 like FF7 and others has such polarizing effects and garners so much argument between gamers is a good thing.  It has people talking about the game and thus thinking about/focusing on it.  Even now, a decade later, people are STILL arguing about FF7.  So even though FF12's been out for a while, people aren't quite ready to put "it" to bed yet.

I'm probably one of the few who really likes FF12's music.  Sure the music does not stand up well on its own and I wouldn't buy the soundtrack, but within the context of the game, it's great.  It adds the right amount of atmosphere without overpowering anything, like too much salt on french fries.  Again, I could spend all day in Rabanastre, because not only is it an awesome town visually, but that town's theme is killer.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »

Wow, such hostility. I didn't realize so many folks had such issues with the game.
The nice thing, i've found, about this game, is that you can choose not to do things that you don't like or are confused by.
I have obtained only two summons in the course of the game so far(I have played for over 60 hours and am in the Salikawood) I think I used the fire dude once.
I have used quickenings only a few times.
I rarely, if ever, use teleport stones to go anywhere. This results in my characters leveling up fairly well, and obtaining enough loot to sell for Gil. I have no complaints here.
The only time I have used teleport stones is when doing hunts, which I find fun, and a good way to build up your characters inbetween following the story.
I am NOT playing the game for the story. I honestly have no clue what is going in the story, and don't really care. I DO like the characters, and want to know what is going to happen to them.
The license board is kinda stupid, but it is a minor complaint surrounded by a lot of good.
I actually like the gambit system quite a bit. I also rather enjoy the battle system. After this game I will be dreadfully bored with any game heralding a "traditional" rpg setup.
I agree with DC about the music. While I would not listen to it outside of the game, it fits very well within the context of the game itself.
I know Alisha enjoys her online gaming, but I don't understand why she is comparing those games to an offline game.
Personally, I have yet tp play an online rpg, and hope to keep it that way.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: