Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327449 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  i give up.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: i give up.  (Read 9569 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 01:19:40 AM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Whether or not you enjoyed the game, the fact of the matter still is that FFXII was accepted by the majority as a great game.  As I've said myself, the storyline and character development is a bit lacking, but it's by no means horrible.  On top of that, the fun gameplay makes up for it.  I've heard a few people complain about how FFXII "plays itself", but I think that is a really flawed argument.  I don't think it's the best FF or even one of the top 3, but it's still one of the best RPGs to come out in all of 2k6.

actually i would lump ffxi with xenosaga 2. two games i couldnt continue to play because the battle systems were horrible/boring/unrewarding. it honestly baffles me why they didnt just use the job system for this game. then again if they did that they would have to rebalance the game since if everyone in your party doesnt have curaja at the point i was at your party wont last long against bosses,looking back i was probally dying because i wasnt actively curing party members with my controlled character. and this game is very unrewarding in terms of what you get for exploring and doing marks. roughly half the license board is wothless. *points at the techniks* i never thought id see the day id be calling an online rpg better than an offline one,but ffxi shits all over ffxii.

I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY TOOK THE SYSTEMS IN FFXI AND MADE THEM WORSE!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 01:31:24 AM »

...You keep mention this whole OMG EVERYBODY HEALZ thing, but I only had one dedicated healer in my party when I went through.  I think you're saying more about your abilities (or lack thereof) than you are any flaws in the game.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 01:53:08 AM »

It's not FFXI's battle system. Get that through your head. It's essentially the ATB without just fucking standing there in a static pose. I much prefer this system because it removes the one major complaint I've always had with FFs: I don't have to wait for random battles to pass. I can just fucking avoid them, and if they chase me and are low level shitballs, someone with a shotgun can take care of them.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 04:45:15 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Why does the party number matter? By this logic, six person battles would be ahead of their time, and twelve person battles are just freakin' out of sight.

<3 Shining Force, Dosh.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 06:56:35 PM »

I'm kinda surprised that there are more people like me, who did not think Final Fantasy XII was such an outstanding game or even the best Final Fantasy game ever made. I tried to get into that game twice, before selling it on eBay. I did not like the battle system, the entire license thing was just plain annoying (even more so than Final Fantasy VIII's junction system), and I couldn't care less about the characters. All in all, this game somehow reminded me of Vagrant Story, despite the obvious differences between the two titles. Granted Vagrant Story's story was great, but playing through the game was a real pain in the a$$. I played through it back then for the damn story, but these days I don't have the patience and time to play through such a game.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 11:39:22 PM »

thinking back on this today i realized all my quaims with this game can all be traced back to various boss battles,because i was fine with the game till you hit some of those boss battles.

Hard boss battles + skill-less battle system = fail.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 05:26:23 AM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

God and here i was thinking you had a legit reason for not liking FFXII.

Damn....cause you know....difficulty = shitty game.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 06:08:48 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
Hard boss battles + skill-less battle system = fail.

The boss battles are hard not because the battle system is skill-less, it's because you are skill-less. Don't blame the battle system for your own faults.

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 06:37:26 AM »

um there is no skill involved in ffxii especially since mist chains are largely dependant on luck. in other games you can use skill and/or strategy to beat a boss even if you are underleveled. the freedom the game gives you with the liscence boards provives you also with the opportunity to gimp yourself badly.

i have absolutely nothing wrong with games being hard except when that difficulty is out of your hands. if a boss is hard for you in a game like shadow hearts3 or ffx you can employ strategy to try and get past it. but if a boss is hard for you in ffxii it likely means you have to go grind till you get stronger then come back. wich became a redundant process in ffxii that i finally got sick of.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »

Since when were the boss battles hard? The only hard boss battle was the mandragoras. Mist attacks were useless and I never used a single esper the entire game.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 08:47:08 AM »

um there is no skill involved in ffxii especially since mist chains are largely dependant on luck.

If you rely on Quickenings, you are definitely a no-skill hack.

in other games you can use skill and/or strategy to beat a boss even if you are underleveled. the freedom the game gives you with the liscence boards provives you also with the opportunity to gimp yourself badly.

You can in this game. You use the free run aspect, enemy weaknesses, spell effects, weapon effects, and any number of things to your advantage. It's not the game's fault all you do is Quickening.

i have absolutely nothing wrong with games being hard except when that difficulty is out of your hands. if a boss is hard for you in a game like shadow hearts3 or ffx you can employ strategy to try and get past it. but if a boss is hard for you in ffxii it likely means you have to go grind till you get stronger then come back. wich became a redundant process in ffxii that i finally got sick of.

I was able to get through most bosses in FFXII underleveled through different strategies. Just because you don't want to think isn't a good reason to say the battles require no skill.

ssoass

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »

Not to mention that mist quickenings become absolutely useless about halfway through the game.
A quickening can do a maximum of around 60.000 damage (usually much less) and saps every character's MP to 0.
So yeah... using a 40.000 damage mist quickening on a boss that barely scratches its 100's of thousands of HP is a very bad idea, since you'll be left with 0 MP to heal/buff with afterwards.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »

but if a boss is hard for you in ffxii it likely means you have to go grind till you get stronger then come back.

I think the same could be said for FFXI or PSU. OR ANY NUMBER OF GAMES.

God you had a decent argument, Alisha, now you sound stupid.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »

I needed a solid strategy to defeat half the bosses I fought so far in FF12. I mean, I did go back and visit a few areas for hunts and such, but so far I’ve gotten through the game and a perfectly reasonable level, and I’ve found that casting the right spells and wearing the right equipment, makes a much bigger difference than being at a higher level.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: