Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 04:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Car Battler Joe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Car Battler Joe  (Read 1446 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2007, 11:55:14 PM »

I recently picked this GBA game up after reading a review on this very site. I knew about it but didn't realize there was an English release. Since I love the Road Warrior and also the GBA, I had to have it.

I've played it for probably 4 hours or so. It's pretty fun and the car combat can be engaging. I'm a little let down because I imagined there would be more tweaking options available for my car, but really the only customizing you get to do is your weapon loadout (but at least that's pretty fun).

It also seems a bit simple. It's super linear, and while there is a freelance mission-kind-of system and a battle arena, there really isn't much to either of them, nor very great rewards for doing them. A lot of the reviews I'd read made the game out to seem like it had a lot more content.

Despite my badmouthing though, I enjoying it a lot. Have any of you guys played this game? What's your opinion of it?
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:23:39 AM »

I dug it, obviously.  I spent loads of time searching for "junk" so I could have it appraised for car parts.  I soon was getting all kinds of chassis, weapons, bodies, engines etc to make new cars.  Making cars was fun.  I also really liked as you gave raw materials to Joe's Mom, she would trick out the garage.  

Story is short but incomplete, interactive ending's fun, and if you can find a friend with the game, multiplayer battling should be a hoot.  

It's not going to be as deep as Sega GT or something like that in terms of car customization, but it was deep for a kiddie game.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:51:06 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I dug it, obviously.  I spent loads of time searching for "junk" so I could have it appraised for car parts.  I soon was getting all kinds of chassis, weapons, bodies, engines etc to make new cars.  Making cars was fun.  I also really liked as you gave raw materials to Joe's Mom, she would trick out the garage.

Yeah, that's pretty fun. But aren't there only 4 different types of cars? After you've built all those (which you can do in the first 4 hours of play), other than raising their stats and changing weapons I'm sort of at a loss of what to do. There are body, engine, and chassis types with different letters, but they don't seem to do all that much.

Right now I'm tricking out one of the big mammoths, which brings me lots of satisfaction. Building up the town is also kind of fun. Probably I'll also get a kick out fighting in the tourneys when I finally get to.

Actually I'm sort of stuck. Maybe you could help me out. I just heard all the bad rumors about my dad and then beat my rival in our first duel. I'm not sure what to do now to advance the story. According to an internet walkthrough, I should talk to the parts dealer (Takah) in my home town and he'll tell me to enter the tournament. However, he doesn't tell me that, and I can't enter the tourney. Do you remember anything that might help me? I've got the S rank license and everything.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »

Plot direction can be vague.  I mostly found myself going everywhere and talking to everyone (save the job huts) till something happened.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:39:55 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Plot direction can be vague.  I mostly found myself going everywhere and talking to everyone (save the job huts) till something happened.

Yeah, I suppose that's what I'll have to do. Ugh! Thanks man.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: