Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 02:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A New FF game to be announced...?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: A New FF game to be announced...?  (Read 99614 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 08:04:21 PM »

My money is on a FF13 based MMO, although I'd prefer a single player RPG much more.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »

Quote from: "Thoren"
My money is on a FF13 based MMO, although I'd prefer a single player RPG much more.

Since we're kinda getting that already, TWO in fact, I wouldn't mind it being unveiled to be an MMO.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 10:21:12 PM »

Heraesis XIII being the next MMO makes a good bit of sense.

But I'd prefer the VII remake.

I'm surprised by the FF hatred on this board. I mean...that's fine that you think Nomura and Kitase have ruined the series, but that in no way changes the fact that S-E is still making quality games.

When I posted this thread I was hoping for people to make good, creative guesses. All I see is whining for new IPs and *overheard* complaints about the usual stuff.

Blaaah

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 10:44:58 PM »

There's really only 4 saying negative things, and two of them (Me and Losfer) are technically just saying we'd like to see more varity. Losfer may be in the 'FF sucks' bandwagon too, but personally I just want them to try making more completely unique games. And the potential problems with an FFVII remake have been covered elsewhere; I'll just say I'd rather a remake for either an older Square game (like CT) or for something from someone else entirely in dire need of some improvements (Metroid 2 anyway?)

In fact, we could probably do without half or at least a third of the games on that list: who seriously wants to get FF1 and 2 again on the PSP? The visuals look nice, but there's been 3 releases for each of them in Japan and 2 here, and I sure as hell don't want to play FFII. FF1, if I want to play that, I'll do it on Origins and go with the oldschool difficulty, or at least the magic system.

Also for the MMO: I wouldn't necessarily play it, and unless they learned a lot from FFXI probably wouldn't like it anyway. I just think it'd be something different and probably isn't a bad idea if they're seriously fleshing out the world like they say they are.
Analogous

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »

Hello all,

I see that some are hoping this new FF is possibly the remake of FFVII. I'm actually one to decline on such wishes. Is it really THAT good? I remember I was one of those kiddies on the FFVII band wagon, claiming it to be the greatest cRPG of all time. I returned to playing it last year to throw a nostalgia reunion inside my brain and MAN was I insane for making such a ludicrous statement! I swear the only reason this game garnered so much attention for it's time was because of it's technoligical leap into pre-rendered stills as environments and fully embracing FMV's to drive the narrative, IF you call that good narration. I mean what a weak game, ugh, I'd personally love to see an FFIV remake, but then there's a risk of them completely fucking it up, which would be horrifying to witness.

But I'm not gonna blame it on Nomura and/or Kitase either, they're young (alot younger than Sakaguchi) and they've gotten their hands wet with the franchise for a while now and Kitase did a fairly good job on VIII no? It seems to me that his sci-fi thematics do him well and give the series a bit of flair, a bit of variation and make the legacy of final fantasy stand the test of time. I'm actually quite excited about FFXIII (not so sure about Versus) it's really ambitious which is something I feel FF needs (especially after FFXII), the whole summons as mechs is a strange and yet refreshing idea.

I'm kind of tired of the whole "pre-historic" themes anyway and Nomura has done something incredible with his character design; he, along with Toriyama have gone with the main character being female! and that alone to me seems like they're reaching out of the FF square (no pun intended ^_-) they've been confined in for so long. Not only that but Toshiro Tsuchida is involved as battle director aswell and he just gives me this gut feeling that this game is going to kick ass. FFX blew but DAMMIT I love the battle system.

As for if the unkown FF might also be FF Heraesis XIII, then I'm led to beleive it could be a DS title. DQIX and FF Heraesis XIII on the DS would make a killing in profit, but then again it might be too crowded with two other FF's slated for release, but perhaps it's further down the track, so it could be released at a later date soundly. MMO doesn't sound right to me though, wasn't it announced by Kitase recently that FFXIII will be multiplayer in that recent Famitsu interview?

Hmmmm anyways enough of my slightly off-topic rant, great to be onboard none the less >_<!
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 05:00:42 PM »

Remember that the ad spoke of a new Final Fantasy game and not some random other title. The untitled multi-platform MMORPG is indeed possibility. After all, apart from Cross Gate, only the Final Fantasy XI formula (Final Fantasy brand name and multi-platform release) has worked well for Square Enix in the online gaming sector, whereas Front Mission Online is apparently only performing so-so, whereas EverQuest 2 or Fantasy Earth have been anything but successful. Hence, they have every reason to repeat this same formula with this next-gen MMORPG, which will most likely appear on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC, when it hits sometime next year.

There is another possibility, though. Since Nomura mentioned some time ago, that he was working on a game that needs to be released this year to retain its meaning, a Final Fantasy VII-related game is also a possibility. After all, as somebody mentioned before, 2007 does not only mark the 20th anniversary of the series' debut, but also the tenth anniversary of Final Fantasy VII's release. And as the three parts of the Compilation have shown so far, you still can make an awful lot of money with the Final Fantasy VII brand. As for the PlayStation 3 remake, it might as well become reality at some point. However if the game was to be made, it would definitely be handled by the first production team, and those guys currently have their hands full with Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix + (which should be completed by now, though), the two Final Fantasy XIII games, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, the Blu-ray version of Advent Children, and Subarashiki no Sekai. I really dare to doubt, they would be able to work on a major title like the Final Fantasy VII remake alongside those projects.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 03:27:19 PM »

Nomura did a great job on FFVIII, yes, but after that, all his characters became serious fashion victims, and their faces all start looking the same. He got into doing this aesymetrical clothing thing with FFX, with bucketloads of gaudy accessories and high saturated colors. Back in the day, through FF9, at least, character clothing was fairly simple, either functional, or cultural, but never distracting. A single outfit wasn't comprised of 4 different shirts, 3 different types/lengths of leggings, metal garb around the left elbow, and a chain around the crotch. I think this was much more effective.

This is why I think the strongest outfits in FF12 were Balthier and Pannelo's. Both had a unified presentation, a defined color-scheme, with subtle textures that fit the persona and overall appearence. Characters such as Vaan, Ashe, Bosch, etc. looked silly, because their clothing was incredibly lavish and un-utilitarian. I mean, how the hell can you justify, Vaan, a street urchin, dressing in anything but fairly plain colors and completely utilitarian accessories? Panello's outfit didn't distract, Vaan's definitely did.

Compare this to FF8s clothing models, which, even though used less polygons, were much more effective in their presentation. Rinoa had a simple, yet elegant blue dress, with a dash of uniqueness in its trailing tale. Quistis's firey red shirt with black leggings. Zell's character warrented something a bit over-the-top, and he got it, with brash colors. Still a bit out of place, considering the fact that you'd really want body armor or cammo for fighting, but the outfits felt correct for the character personalities, without going overboard.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Heraesis XIII being the next MMO makes a good bit of sense.

But I'd prefer the VII remake.

I'm surprised by the FF hatred on this board. I mean...that's fine that you think Nomura and Kitase have ruined the series, but that in no way changes the fact that S-E is still making quality games.

When I posted this thread I was hoping for people to make good, creative guesses. All I see is whining for new IPs and *overheard* complaints about the usual stuff.

Blaaah
As a friend says "omg FF sux I hate it they forgot how to make good games Im gonna do something about it and show them Im not pleased and by that I mean yes I will keep buying their games on the first day it's released.".

I fail to see how Nomura ruined the series. Amano's design was far worse. Sure some of Nomura's chars have similarities one another, but that's called "style". The same way all of Amano's characters suffer anorexia and have no skin pigment, Akira Toriyama's characters all have spiky hair, huge foreheads and/or pointy ears (goddamn, even my mom confused Crono with Goku, and she only knows them from seeing me playing/watching) and every other artist follow their own standard models when drawing new things.

Criticizing FFX or FFXII characters' clothing because they arent "practical" makes sense, but let's be fair. Look at, hm, every female character in every RPG out there. That dragon chick's skirt in Valkyrie Profile was very protective for a knight huh? Or maybe Celes, Rosa, Rydia and Terra's bikinis (specially Terra and Celes, supposedly soldiers lol). FFX's design looked fashionable at least (take your time to watch those Fashion Weeks conventions in Europe and Sao Paulo, a lot of stuff there is far from "conventional", but that's fashion) and I dont see the problem with FFXII's (apart from Fran and Ashe).  

All in all, Patrick/Ramza makes a valid point: SE still makes quality games. I'm excited for FFXIII even tho god knows when I'll get my hands on it simply because, as someone else stated, about time they move away from "pre-historic" settings.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 02:50:09 PM »

You're absolutely right, Ventrue. I don't think FF games have EVER been great examples of practicle dresswear, and to be honest, I've hardly ever been really interested in that aspect of the game. But I will say that, prior to FFX, even if the characters outfits were impracticle, the fact that they were fairly simple, didn't really draw as much attention to them. I'd rather have simple/impracticle than complex/impracticle, because then my attention is not always focused on the flawed clothing, which I really don't want to think about in the first place. I think the philosophy, prior to FFX, was that if the outfit fit the personality of the character, it would just fade away, becoming part of the character's persona, and you wouldn't really be forced into thinking about things like practicality. No one really ever discussed clothing very much prior to FFX, and I think that was a testiment to series' credit.

And yes, if Amano's complex outfits for FF6 or FF4 had actually been "correctly" portrayed, it would have been TERRIBLE. I roll my eyes whenever I see the FMVs that were later made for FF4; Cecil and Kain lose all credibility within those "OMG, I look like a giant barnacle!" outfits. But thankfully, chibi and low polygon count 3D graphics prevented the outfits from becoming too distracting. And it's not just that, the FMVs for FF8/9 are fine because the outfits were still being designed around the prinicpals that they didn't have huge polygon counts to work with in the game-engine... so they made the outfits in the FMVs slimpler, so they would match. Come FFX, though, and they could build lavish, complex, asymetrical outfits, and portray them correctly with the game engine, so they did.

I think S-E would benefit from doing a 180 turn, and trying a fully cell-shaded game. I think it would do them a lot of good in terms of learning how to build simple and effective character models. Of course, that'll never happen, since the series began down it's "photorealism" path, its just the status-quo these days.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »

All I have to say on Nomura/Kitase ruining the FF series..is that you look at the difference in quality between FFVII, VIII, X, and XII with IX.

There's a huge difference. IX was absolutely amazing, and I never got that same feeling of an epic, charming, "fantasy" that the title of the game should imply from the others.

I mean, I don't think I'm alone on this. Those games just didn't feel like "fantasy" to me, in the same way that IX did.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »

Final Fantasy X-3.

This time you get Tidus and Wakka in thongs eating popsicles.

Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 06:03:40 PM »

Screw Tidus, I just want Wakka in a thong.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »

My guess is on the following:

FFVII remake
A game that is another branch of FFVII (you really can't get enough of VII :P)
A FF spinoff title (like Crystal Chronicles). The FF name alone can make a lot of people already jump onto the bandwagon, even non-mainstream ones.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"
A game that is another brance of FFVII (you really can't get enough of VII :P)

YES I CAN
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 06:26:47 PM »

I never liked Nomura's characters (with exception to Squall), but the quality of the games themselves has always been very high.  I would be perfectly happy with an FFXIII MMO.  I am just a little nervous about it though.  Square-Enix stated that they would start to pay a little more attention to their lesser-known franchises starting in 2007.  But all of the FF and DQ games makes me a little nervous that they aren't going to try as hard as they seemed like they said they were.  I'd certainly rather see the SD series return to former glory than see 4 different FFXIII projects (assuming the new FF is another FFXIII), when the original hasn't even been released yet.

But as for the the new FF game itself, I'd rather see a remake.  Not of any of the 2D games, but rather one of the 3D ones.  I'd love to see FFVIII with updated graphics, and hopefully, a much better soundtrack.  But I know FFVIII is probably the most disliked FF next to FFV, I'd assume Square-Enix would not do that.  And if it is an FFVII remake, I certainly wouldn't mind that either, mainly because of the awesome gameplay of the original (the rest of the game wasn't good at all, in my opinion).

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: