Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 12:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328013 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A New FF game to be announced...?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: A New FF game to be announced...?  (Read 98755 times)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 06:30:17 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"
A game that is another brance of FFVII (you really can't get enough of VII :P)

YES I CAN

Amen. I still have a preference to the older FF titles.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 06:40:54 PM »

I wouldn't like remakes of the older FF titles (the ones that came before FFVII).  There's just something about the sprites that makes it seem like it would be hard to convert them into 3D.  It sounds like the games would lose a lot of charm.  Especially if it were FFVI, with all of the funny and awesome animations that would look really awkward in 3D.  I couldn't really see them working all much.

Now, if they were to remake them into 3D along the lines of FFIII DS or whatever, I could see it working.  But it would probably take away a lot of the serious tone that FFIV-VI often had.  So maybe even doing that wouldn't work out so well.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »

I don't want a remake at all, I say leave the games as they are, classic RPGs.

I just wish Square Enix didn't have such a fear of making a normal turn based game. I would have been completely blown away if Crisis Core had the same Materia turn-based gameplay of FF7, but just a prequel. A true prequel, I suppose. Instead we're getting this Action-RPG Kingdom Hearts-esque drabble.. bah. Even Dragon Quest has gone down the path of action RPG.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »

My guess is that the corporation wants to diversify their lineup. They've got 2 (well, one now) established series with turn based combat, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. With DQ going the action RPG route though (partially to appeal more to Americans? Who the hell knows), that just leaves Final Fantasy, and that's assuming XIII is turn based and simply looks flashy, as the case appears to be. I suppose that would mean they want one of each genre, or at least of a specific style in that genre, which may also explain why SD's gone the path it has, SE's already got Kingdom Hearts for more traditional-ish, console action RPGs.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 08:08:54 PM »

Eh, part of me just wants them to make the FF7 remake, just to get the FF7 fanboys to shutup... but I said that before Advent Children, Before Crisis/Core, and Dirge, and they're still screaming, and the tone get's whinier and whinier. So no... fuck FF7. It was a great game for its day... but don't you think some of the others deserve some (re)love first? I'd love to see a fully 3D remake of FF6 someday (obviously, not any time soon, since they just updated it for the GBA), since the game feels like it was originally designed in 3D, but was stuck on 2D hardware. I've always felt that the design concepts behind the game were on par (if not better) than the Playstation Final Fantasys, but it's graphics were limited, compared to FF7s... so I think it needs updating the most.

At the end of the day, I don't really need any remake or sequels. I don't mind this idea of planning to make multipul games in the same universe, from the start (like the whole Nova Chrystalis thing), but other than that, I think the series works the best when the games are all separate. Let's have an FFT game that doesn't take place in Ivalice, and let's me explore the world, instead of clicking on dots on a map! Maybe I'd actually play a tactical RPG if that were the case.

Oh, and let me fly my own goddamn airship, for once! All this "Do you want to fly to Bullshit Village? [Yes] [No]" crap's gotta go! I miss FF9 :(

-- "If you've got hate in your heart, let it out."

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:30 PM »

Well FFXIII is supposed to have an evolved version of the combat system from XII, from what I've read online.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 08:33:27 PM »

Good god no. Don't bring back Gambits. ._.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 08:36:01 PM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"

That was one of the best ideas for AI ever. Unless you seriously prefer selecting 'OFFENSIVE' and having them defend all the time or similar stupidity. I can see though not wanting the same battle system, but of all the parts to reuse Gambits have to be.
Tlonuqbar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »

I'm not really sure what the problem people have with Gambits is.  I mean, its a completely optional feature; no one has a gun to your head saying "use the f***ing gambits!!"  I personally never used them, and didn't find their presence as a potential option disturbing in the least.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 08:55:09 PM »

That was one of the best ideas for AI ever. Unless you seriously prefer selecting 'OFFENSIVE' and having them defend all the time or similar stupidity. I can see though not wanting the same battle system, but of all the parts to reuse Gambits have to be.

I'm not going to go into it, because there's too many people that like XII here. I'll just say that as far as 3-person battling goes, I prefer the system in Granado Espada better. Take that as you will.
Tlonuqbar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2007, 09:05:07 PM »

I'm not going to go into it, because there's too many people that like XII here. I'll just say that as far as 3-person battling goes, I prefer the system in Granado Espada better. Take that as you will.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but you seem to be getting Gambits and ADB (active dimension battle) confused.  ADB is the battle-system used in FFXII, whereas Gambits were the completely optional ability to have characters perform actions automatically when certain conditions were met.  It should have nothing to do with whether people like FFXII or not.  A completely optional gameplay element shouldn't be that big a deal to anyone.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2007, 09:47:12 PM »

From all the interviews I've heard, FFXIII is going back to ATB, with a few adjustments...

The vauge impression I got is that its something along the lines of Lunar/Grandia's systems, where it's pretty much turn based, but the characters' possitions are important to the battle. I thought it was pretty clear that it wasn't going to be the same semi-ActionRPG kind of thing that we got last time around.

FF versus XIII, on the other hand, sounds like its going to be an action RPG.

Oh, BTW, every time I see the name "Final Fantasy Versus XIII", I hear the Mortal Kombat announcer in my head saying, "Final Fantasy versus Thirteen... FIGHT!"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2007, 12:38:46 AM »

Quote from: "Tlonuqbar"

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but you seem to be getting Gambits and ADB (active dimension battle) confused.  ADB is the battle-system used in FFXII, whereas Gambits were the completely optional ability to have characters perform actions automatically when certain conditions were met.  It should have nothing to do with whether people like FFXII or not.  A completely optional gameplay element shouldn't be that big a deal to anyone.

No, I'm saying as far as AI tweaking goes, Granado Espada does it better than FFXII. You don't have to even physically tweak each character's AI just to make them do what you want, they're smart on their own. The problem with playing a non-Gambit game is you still have to tediously go in and assign actions to everyone or they sit around and do nothing. In Rogue Galaxy, even, your other characters would do stuff and you controlled the main. If FFXII had been done that way, I'd probably like it more.

Oh well, here comes the flak train. Don't care, guys.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007, 12:51:46 AM »

I prefer personally tweaked AI over stupid ass preprogrammed AI any day of the week.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 01:09:31 AM »

the problem with both the liscence board and gamits in ffxii in my personal opinion is that the game just unleashes them on you with little guidance. the game simply tells you how to use them then leaves it at that. a fact that i believe negatively influenced my experience with the game. i personally like the AI in RG because once you can afford plenty of potions i never felt like i had to babysit the AI controller characters. as for remakes im probally alone in this but i would love to revisit the characters of FFVIII

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: