Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A New FF game to be announced...?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: A New FF game to be announced...?  (Read 99337 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 01:36:10 AM »

I'm only 7 hours into FFXII, but gambits are relatively simple for me, especially after playing games like KOTOR which have a similar feature.

But I could totally see a Japanese-RPG Gamer getting confused by them.
Analogous

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2007, 04:16:04 AM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
All I have to say on Nomura/Kitase ruining the FF series..is that you look at the difference in quality between FFVII, VIII, X, and XII with IX.

There's a huge difference. IX was absolutely amazing, and I never got that same feeling of an epic, charming, "fantasy" that the title of the game should imply from the others.

I mean, I don't think I'm alone on this. Those games just didn't feel like "fantasy" to me, in the same way that IX did.

Is it that good? I like IX's story to a certain extent, although the resolution felt like a huge sweaty band-aid but I agree with the character designs, Shukou Murase did a fine job (Square needs to rehire him again in the future). Compared to VIII though? probably around the same level of quality, the holes and patches are just in different areas from each other. X on the other hand, is something that is just completely off the wall in terms of character designs as many have stated, although I think Yuna has to be one of the greatest female characters in any FF.

As for the narration of X, it is deffinately the weakest for sure. The character development is fairly good, it's just the whole plot running dry this time. You know, the whole "life stream" concept coming into play, it's like "Oh, here we go AGAIN, we're here to save the world....again!" It just felt like somewhat of a carbon copy of FFVII. Having said this though, I do beleive FFX has THE best battle system in any FF game to date (bar FFXII, only because I'm reluctant to play it), I absolutely adore it.

I may be let down, but these are the reasons why I have such high hopes for FFXIII. VIII's futuristic setting with X's battle system, perhaps even more refined? Yes please! : P

Quote from: "Alisha"
the problem with both the liscence board and gamits in ffxii in my personal opinion is that the game just unleashes them on you with little guidance. the game simply tells you how to use them then leaves it at that. a fact that i believe negatively influenced my experience with the game. i personally like the AI in RG because once you can afford plenty of potions i never felt like i had to babysit the AI controller characters. as for remakes im probally alone in this but i would love to revisit the characters of FFVIII

You're not the only one ; )
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2007, 06:12:09 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
From all the interviews I've heard, FFXIII is going back to ATB, with a few adjustments...

The vauge impression I got is that its something along the lines of Lunar/Grandia's systems, where it's pretty much turn based, but the characters' possitions are important to the battle. I thought it was pretty clear that it wasn't going to be the same semi-ActionRPG kind of thing that we got last time around.

FF versus XIII, on the other hand, sounds like its going to be an action RPG.

Oh, BTW, every time I see the name "Final Fantasy Versus XIII", I hear the Mortal Kombat announcer in my head saying, "Final Fantasy versus Thirteen... FIGHT!"
You're correct about it being like ATB but with a few adjustments. From what I read on it reminds me of Chrono Cross or probably Parasite Eve 1. Here's the exact text
Quote from: "Final Fantasy XIII.net"
The menu has all the standard things there like attacks and the ATB metre but its been changed quite differently from the other games. You can now line up your actions in a combo bar above the ATB metre. This either means you can plan ahead and one action will be used every turn you have or you can perform all the actions in one turn.

Like the previous games, actions reduce your ATB metre but in FFXIII they dont make it go back to zero after each turn. Each action uses a certain amount of ATB Cost and minuses it from the ATB metre.

Also, I'm with the people who would like to see a FF6 remake with updated graphics or a FF8 remake (with voice acting!). But I doubt either would be announced in the Jump Festa, my bet for the new FF still is on FF7 remake or FF Haeresis XIII (possibly being SE's new MMO).

EDIT: I dont understand why so much hate on FFX :| I enjoy it a lot, not only the battlesystem but the storyline as well (and Blitzball!). Sure Tidus' clothes are way too colourful and I dont understand Lulu's net of belts around her legs, but Yuna looks great, Rikku, Wakka and everyone else look decently as well (for what they are supposed to portray).  I dont know, to me it's a great FF, just maybe "different" like FF8 ^^;
Tlonuqbar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2007, 02:40:51 PM »

Why is it that most people say things like: "[Relatively recent FF game] had an awful battle system. They should make a new game with FF[insert number here]'s battle system."

...or maybe...they could do something NEW?  You know, like virtually every FF since the very beginning HAS done?

I mean, part of trying something new means that, yes, it may not work as well as what has come before, but considering that practically every FF makes significant gameplay changes, why should the quality of FF[r] have anything to do with ones expectations for the quality of FF[r+1], FF[r+2],...,FF[infinity]?

Simply put, every FF tries to do something new, there is absolutely NO precedent for them retrofitting a new game with an older battle system.

Now, coming around to remakes: I can understand maybe tweaking the more outdated FFs' battle systems, but encorporating the battle system of a completely different FF into a remake seems to me, well, stupid.  If they remade every FF in the next few years, and overhauled each one to have the battle system of FF[enter your favorite number here], congratulations...now you have every FF playing like your favorite one.  Call me a purist, but I don't really think that this is a good idea...at all....
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »

wow. The displeasment with FFXII wasn't just because they were "following the tradition" of making a new battle system each game, it was because they changed it so drastically. Its true there's a difference in the battle system with each game, but they've always stayed true to the turn based style.

I know you can slow FFXII's Battle system down to make it sluggish, with freezing between each command to strategize, but if you use gambits and have it at full speed with Battle Mode Active, it's actually a really well made system. The problem is that it just doesn't feel like a traditional Final Fantasy, aka turn based with a twist.
Tlonuqbar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »

Quote from: "Thoren"
wow. The displeasment with FFXII wasn't just because they were "following the tradition" of making a new battle system each game, it was because they changed it so drastically. Its true there's a difference in the battle system with each game, but they've always stayed true to the turn based style.

I know you can slow FFXII's Battle system down to make it sluggish, with freezing between each command to strategize, but if you use gambits and have it at full speed with Battle Mode Active, it's actually a really well made system. The problem is that it just doesn't feel like a traditional Final Fantasy, aka turn based with a twist.

I don't know if you were responding to my post or not, but in case you were:

1) I made none of the points that you are attempting to refute in my post; you either misread what I did write, or are attempting to read between the lines.  I also made ZERO references to a specific FF title, but was rather making my point as broad as possible.

[Edit: I don't think that the general thesis of this following argument is that far off base, but after doing some research, I stand corrected on several points that I make; I won't say what they are, but rather leave it to my fellow posters to mock my erroneous claims.]
2) I'm not sure if you intend 'turn based' to mean what it is commonly accepted to mean, or if you are using a different defintion.  By the standard definition, only FFI, FFII, and FFIII are turn-based.  If you broaded the defintion to mean that the game pauses whenever it is a players turn to act, then you can include FFX as well.  In FFIV-FFIX, the battle system is termed active time battle, and basically each character gets to input commands when their action timer reaches zero; you could technically broaden the scope of the "turn-based" definition to encorporate these battle systems as well, but this causes a problem with your argument.  With the definition of "turn-based" stretched to its limit, how is FFXII any less turn based than FFIV-IX?  Sure, you can input commands at any time, but each action still involves an action timer to ensure that the battle's input system is not exploited...thus, the characters in FFXII have "turns" as well.  For all practical purposes, the ONLY significant difference in the base battle system is the fact that the characters auto-attack unless alternative commands are given...nevertheless, the auto-attacking is still limited to the characters taking turns of a sort.  I am not a FFXII fan, but nor am I a detractor; regardless of whether one likes or dislikes the battle system of FFXII or not, in all fairness, the actual battle system is as big a deviation from the "FF norm" (if there truly can be said to be such a thing) as, say, Draw/Junction/G.F. was in FFVIII.

There is nothing wrong with liking or disliking ANY FF game for any reason; disliking FFXII because of the battle system is perfectly all right, but claiming that it deviates from the "FF norm" is a losing argument.

[Edit: Losing argument? Hah! I lose the argument, regardless of whether my conclusion is right or wrong, because according to SE, my definitions of their battle systems are not entirely accurate....sorry for wasting everyone's time on point #2.]
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 03:16:10 AM »

the problem with FF's changing battle system's is that twice i've seen them take a step backwards instead of forwards. most notable in my opinion are.
FFX-> FFX-2    FFXI -> FFXII in both cases had i not played the preceeding game i wouldnt of been as annoyed by the game that followed. i've have always felt that atb is a poor attempt at making battles more exciting. while that may have worked in the absence of better technology it is now as antiquated(sp?) as random encounters.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2007, 03:30:14 AM »

Thing with FFXII, though I can't say I agree with you in this case, is that they had to take an online MMO combat system and remake it to work for offline gameplay. Perhaps they could've/should've used the job system like FFXI did, making it the first time it's been in a numbered installment since V, rather than going for the completely open system they did instead. Nevertheless, they did something that was a first try, so it's not like FFX-2 going back to the traditional ATB after a wonderful non-active battle system.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2007, 09:51:53 AM »

Dewprism 2.

Case closed.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2007, 12:10:49 PM »

...what?

Analogous

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 12:21:44 PM »

I think he means Threads Of Fate 2, no?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »

I realize this; why is this coming up in a discussion about Final Fantasy again? And out of the blue, at that?

Analogous

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »

Well then maybe he's implying that Square should focus on a Threads sequel  instead of another FF sequel.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »

Or maybe any sequel instead of another FF sequel.  :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »

Maybe people CAN'T READ THE TOPIC GOD WHAT'S SO HARD ABOUT IT?

Or he's stopped seeing the company as Square Enix, and simply as the FF company.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: