Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 05:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341238 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Will you be buying a PS3 for the Level5 and S-E games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Will you be buying a PS3 for the Level5 and S-E games?  (Read 8104 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:44:19 AM »

All of the games seem to be the more odd end out jRPG than the more traditional Mistwalker games. Personally I prefer the old fashioned turn based stuff, and I honestly can't afford to support more than one console, so I'm just going to stick with the one I own right now, unless FF13 turns out to be spectacular, which I'm hoping (I haven't been too impressed with Final Fantasy lately)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 04:54:30 AM »

It'd require more than Level 5 and SE... But stuff like MGS and Insomniac and Naught Dog covers it. My brother got one anyway though, so I'll just use his when games come out I want to play for the time being.
Aelph

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »

I think I'll probably continue to be way behind on games, because I'll buy a PS3 when it comes down to under £100/$200 and I can get tons of good games at ridiculously low prices. I only finally got a PS2 a few months ago... so I'm rather overwhelmed by choice, which is a good thing. I want to see how the PS3 does with RPGs before I invest in one, regardless of the cost; though I don't doubt we'll be seeing some quality ones. And I'm still patiently waiting for Tales of Destiny 2 to appear on English-language PS2s, and yes, I know, I'll probably be waiting patiently for some time to come... like, forever.

When it comes to buying new consoles straight off, Nintendo is the only one who has my loyalty there -- because I can actually afford the damn things.

So yeah, I'll be sticking with what I've got for the time being.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »

Nope.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »

Well since FF13 PS3 exclusivity is still in the talks, and many other games as well, I will probably just stay with my 360.  I love the machine, way more than I ever enjoyed the original.

I mean if down the line, once its gotten cheaper and theres a slew of games out that I just cant find, maybe, but otherwise nope.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:05:52 PM »

Just those games?  No.  I'm going to wait this one out.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 12:09:20 PM »

I'm more eager to pick up a X360; it'll take way more for me to consider a PS3.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »

The way things are looking now it's going to take a long time before I pick up a PS3. I'm actually getting more and more tempted to buy a Xbox360 with each passing day, however - I really want to try out Gears of War, Viva Piñata, Dead Rising, Crackdown etc. There's a good possibility I will cave in and get one when Microsoft finally gets around to releasing the new version with a bigger HD in it.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »

Of course there's games like Heavenly Sword and MGS4 for the PS3, so it's not like you'd only be getting RPGs, but I guessed since this is RPGfan those are the kind of games that would sell a system to somebody.

Still, $600 is just a staggering price for me personally. I just think about it and any desire to buy a product is killed. $400 was even too much for an Xbox for me, but luckily there's alot of price drops and sales for the system nowadays online.

But you never know, if Square Enix does deliver on FF13 and it has FMV-Quality graphics and the combat is like the movie Advent Children, it may turn more than a few heads. I still kind of wish they would go back to the old formula though.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »

I'm considering White Knight Story, but it'll take at least 5 games before i decide to buy a PS3, and no FFXIII isn't on my list.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 04:13:29 PM »

No. No game can sell me on a $600 console. No amount of games can. It wil only be after a nice fat price drop and said games that I will even consider purchasing a PS3. Why? Because my thinking is this:

1. The money I would spend on the console for say, five games, could potentially be better spend on a cheaper console with more games of equal or greater quality.

2. Even if the console has certain exclusives, I can always buy them later after a price drop and I'll still get the same enjoyment out of them.

3. Immediate pleasure versus long-standing pleasure. I may derive immediate pleasure from the "ooh new shiny" games present in the upcoming lineup. But as it stands, there is only a handful of titles I want for PS3. There's a much larger selection for 360 and Wii. They're cheaper too. If I buy a PS3, I will only get immediate pleasure with its small exclusives library. If I don't, I can spend that money many more games and derive an expanded range of pleasure over a long period of time.

In short: Waiting on a price drop. Games are not enough yet.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 05:39:35 PM »

I'll be buying a console for Suikoden 6 and the Shin Megami Tensei games.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 05:54:19 PM »

Restricting myself to only listing games I thought of when I bought my PS3  (and not newly announced titles or hopefully inevitable titles that haven't even been fully rumored yet, like a new Suikoden/SMT or Zone of the Enders 3 or a next-gen Wild Arms), I already got one for FFXIII, VS XIII and Level 5's White Knight Story as far as early RPGs go.  Plus MGS4, the new Naughty Dog title, Heavenly Sword, whatever the ICO/Colossus team puts out, and the now multiconsole DMC4 (I'll keep my obvious feelings about that out of here since it doesn't belong since it's not an RPG) and the already multiconsole Assassin's Creed.

Other than perhaps Blue Dragon and to a lesser extent Eternal Sonata (I'd totally buy it but it's not a system seller for me) there is absolutely nothing that I can't live without on the 360 (I find the drab too-realistic  look of Lost Oddysey exactly what I don't like about many 360 titles and many games in general and I hate FPS games) and I don't play the types of games the Wii is offering (other than Zelda:TP which I have for GC).

That's already a 9:3/9:4 and 9:0 ratio off the top of my head, more than enough to justify spending extra on what I really want at any of these prices.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 08:03:25 PM »

Quote from: "Kos-mos"
Restricting myself to only listing games I thought of when I bought my PS3  (and not newly announced titles or hopefully inevitable titles that haven't even been fully rumored yet, like a new Suikoden/SMT or Zone of the Enders 3 or a next-gen Wild Arms), I already got one for FFXIII, VS XIII and Level 5's White Knight Story as far as early RPGs go.  Plus MGS4, the new Naughty Dog title, Heavenly Sword, whatever the ICO/Colossus team puts out, and the now multiconsole DMC4 (I'll keep my obvious feelings about that out of here since it doesn't belong since it's not an RPG) and the already multiconsole Assassin's Creed.

Other than perhaps Blue Dragon and to a lesser extent Eternal Sonata (I'd totally buy it but it's not a system seller for me) there is absolutely nothing that I can't live without on the 360 (I find the drab too-realistic  look of Lost Oddysey exactly what I don't like about many 360 titles and many games in general and I hate FPS games) and I don't play the types of games the Wii is offering (other than Zelda:TP which I have for GC).

That's already a 9:3/9:4 and 9:0 ratio off the top of my head, more than enough to justify spending extra on what I really want at any of these prices.

Ah, someone finally stands at the PS3's side and gives their opinion. That's good, buy why did you buy the console now if those games aren't even out yet? FF13 and WKS wont even be out until 2008, and FFV13 much later. It just seems silly to buy a console on the pure hype of games coming out, or the hype of games that have barely been rumored of.

I'll disagree with you about Lost Odyssey, I think that we havent had a dark and immersive jRPG for a long time, and the setting reminds me personally alot of FF7 and FF8. There's also Infinite Undiscovery coming out 2008 by Tri-Ace for the Xbox 360 along with another Mistwalker game, so I think the console has quite the RPG head start on the PS3.

While you do have a good selection of games that may suit your preference better, I think you're overlooking many of the 360's titles by saying all of them look drab and realistic. I still dont think it's wise to spend $600+ on a console purely on what you think may come out, just my two cents. You get more benefit from waiting for those games that you want and save alot of money in the process. It's also kind of funny that you dislike Drab, realistic, FPS games, but that is the console's only real killer app right now.
Harlequin

Hi, I'm swedish

harlequin@stockholm.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 08:07:18 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
No. No game can sell me on a $600 console. No amount of games can. It wil only be after a nice fat price drop and said games that I will even consider purchasing a PS3.

Pretty much the way I feel as well.
As a student my economy is already crap... and I need a new pc as well >.< Besides, as long as they keep releasing great games for the PS2 I see no reason to switch... yet..

Be awesome instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: