Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:18:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319283 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Help Gately's purchasing decision!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help Gately's purchasing decision!  (Read 699 times)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »

Greetings, my fellow RPG Fans! This very week I shall be coming into some money and I require some assistance in deciding how best to use it.

As you can see from my choices, I am trying to decide between a PSP or a DS. I have already decided that a Wii is pretty much a given, which explains the absence of that as an option in the poll.

Factors that I am looking at include range of games currently available and those that are heading our way in the near future. Basically, it's down to stuff like BoF III available on PSP with FF Tactics and Crisis Core: FF VII  on the way, but FF III is out on the DS with Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and FF: Crystal Chronicles announced. Also, people's personal opinions on the systems are invited.

Over to you guys!

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »

If the PSP had been gaining more momentum, I would've said get both. But no, the only game that I find interesting coming out in the future is the RoB remake. And I am extremely weary of Crisis Core: FFVII is a decade old game that shouldn't have all these spinoffs of questionable quality. We could get lucky with Crisis Core, but DoC doesn't instill much confidence. The DS meanwhile has a bunch of neat games, and will just keep getting more. Since neither have regional lockout, I'm not really factoring in what is/isn't available in the UK.

Edit: Plus it's been two years since the PSP came out. Sony must be planning a price drop or SOMETHING to keep momentum up, otherwise it could slowly die out.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 10:07:54 PM »

See, a DS is awesome for its portability and Wii connectivity, but I'd be more inclined to have a bunch of games and controllers readily at-hand if I had to choose.

I own neither. :(

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:26:10 PM »

I was torn between a DS and a couple of nights out in voting. =P

DS for something new, but that's just me and not much interest in the PSP. Or if you're like me and really want to get the hell out of your home when final exams are done and go out for dinner/drinks. =P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:26:17 PM »

DS.

It's got the library, portability, and awesomeness factor.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 01:41:52 AM »

I'd go with just going out and boozing...I did at one point own both systems, however I sold both of them.  Neither of the libraries held any interest for me, and even the games that did, it got to the point where there wasn't time, especially not for a handheld system.  All the games that I actually wanted, were out for console, and if there was time for gaming, I was generally near a console anyways.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 11:21:02 AM »

DS.  PSP has a few remakes that if you can be so inclined to worry about, you can just haul out your old systems.  :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 11:32:31 AM »

I went with maxing out the Wii experience. Provided you have friends, that is :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »

After my friend beat twilight princess he hasn't touched his wii since. It's such a boring console, I think you have to convince yourself that what you're doing is fun. I have a DS but I only use it for GBA games, groan. PSP has some killer games but the hardware itself blows.
Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:02:26 PM »

Go with the DS, I have one and I love it.

I never leave home without it...Mr. Driller on the go ftw! ^_^

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »

Get the DS.  

Red Steel and Zelda are must haves for the Wii, reviews be damned.

If you have friends, add Monkey Ball, otherwise Trauma Center.  I wouldn' t think going all out will maximize your experience... You don't need much to enjoy your Wii.  I play my Wii when I get -urges- if that makes sense.  When I play Rogue Galaxy or another RPG it feels more like a focused task that I *must* do, at least when compared to playing something on Wii.  I actually haven't beaten any of my Wii games, but Zelda is changing that.

The DS is perfect if you're a busy person.  There are the generic portability benefits that apply to the PSP as well, but you can just close the DS and it'll go into sleep mode and won't die on you thanks to its longer battery life.  Maybe that applies to the PSP too actually.  Nevermind.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: