Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 08:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335171 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Spider-Man 3 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Spider-Man 3 Thread  (Read 7306 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 03:19:30 AM »

The movie contains bad dialogue, stiff acting, random dance sequences, underdeveloped or completely ignored plot points, and emo hair cuts.

The only thing missing was a Panic! At the Disco soundtrack.

[/url]
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 06:05:48 AM »

I saw the midnight showing.

....Fuck Spider-Man 3.

You want to know why? (HERE COMES MY SPOILERIFFIC REVIEW...)
Code:
...and it really only covers the ending of the movie because everything else was pretty much acceptable, if not great. Besides, we all know why I wanted to see this movie, and that was big ugly. Well guess what? Venom is DEAD. As in not even a corpse left of Eddie Brock. Completely vaporized. The only aspect of the symbiote that exists at the end of the film is the tiny trace of it in Dr. Connors' lab, which they don't even remind you of at the end.

In fact, once Brock BECOMES Venom, he doesn't come off as a new persona because HE DOESN'T EVEN REFER TO HIMSELF IN THE THIRD PERSON. As in one of his TRADEMARKS. So no "We are Venom" or anything of the sort; just ordinary first-person dialogue.

Oh, and no tongue/green drool either; I don't care too much about that because Venom looked downright FRIGHTENING, and was as ruthless as he could be... well, for all of 20 minutes. The earliest thing we see of him after the transformation is him getting nailed in an alley by Sandman, mistaking him for Spider-Man in black duds. A really rushed dialogue sequence ensues, with Venom saying "I want to kill him too," and talking about things involving Peter and Sandman. No explanation, of course, as to how Venom knows, though any of the comics' fans knows why. So, he who is no longer "we" recruits Marko into a plot to trap Spider-Man. Insert WTF here.

Cut to Hal Fishman from KTLA news on TV with a female reporter covering live footage of a big black web of doom with a taxi cab stuck in it (we saw a nice creepy scene of Brock-faced Venom picking MJ up in a cab just before this, so you know where this is going). There was also had a dump truck, undoubtedly once full of sand, in the web. Unlike the two or three webs we see that Spider-Man makes in the film, which even when rushed look near-perfect in their symmetry and alignment, Venom's web is a bunch of random weblines strung about like a cat's cradle attempt by a meth addict. The newsfolk identify MJ and they have brief footage clearly showing this isn't Spider-Man in black, but ol' big-teeth.

Now WTF II, as Harry Osborn (who by now has a mangled face thanks to that pumpkin bomb from the trailers) is watching this from the Osborn estate, and turns to see Peter standing there. Now we already had Osborn LOSE his memory and then gain it back, and pull some sicko shit on MJ and Peter only to get pwned. Peter now asks him to help, and that regardless of how he feels about his father's death, MJ needs them. Harry looks downright despondent in his spite for Peter and rejects him. The butler then conveniently informs Harry that the blade that pierced his father's abdomen came from his own glider and that he died by his own hands. Gee, thanks for telling me that before I went psycho on Mary Jane, tried to kill my best friend twice and got half my face blown off by one of my lunatic father's handheld explosives. I'm so fucking pissed I'm gonna go pound sand.

That's right, we get Goblin II and Spider-Man vs. Sandman and Venom for the final showdown of the movie. It's like a bad WWE show -- you've been anticipating the ultimate one-on-one match, they practically TELL you that you'll get it, and then they swerve you. Oh well, the movie isn't over yet, maybe Sandman will get a quick pwning. Sure enough, we get the second predictable physics weakness of Flint Marko Polo: while first Black Spidey beat him by flooding him, Goblin II melts him from the inside and out via pumpkin bombs and flaming exhaust from his S&M Edition Back to the Future Hoverboard. All of this remains cool enough to be acceptable because of the ridiculousness of the special effects. Absolutely stellar.

As Venom is pwning Spidey like nobody's business, Goblin comes into the fray, only to get knocked off his fancy board. With its spikes out, Venom goes to stab Spidey in his helpless state and finally kill Peter Parker. Can you feel the big poetic flashback-inducing like-father-like-son moment? Harry gets Peter out of the way and gets stabbed by his own glider, just like his father. Only, you know, Venom was wielding it like a spear.

Then, in the ensuing RAAAAAR SPIDEY ANGRY moment, a hollow metal pole hits the ground, and the symbiote goes berserk and separates part-way from Brock. Spidey remembers the bell inducing the same effect in the church tower, so he starts slamming poles into the ground two-by-two like giant tuning forks, and black-and-gooey is not pleased. Then, after imprisoning it in a "cell" of giant hollow poles punched through the floor, Spidey goes ring-round-the-rosey with another pole smacking into all of them.

Uh oh, the Venom fight is getting close to ending. Spidey sees Brock screaming separately from the symbiote's intense shrieking, and when the goop is still flying around all over the place, Peter web-lines Brock and yanks him out of the pole-cell. The noise from the poles dissipates, and the symbiote goes absolutely berserk-status, with the face of what actually looked more like Carnage (or perhaps the giant symbiote beast from Peter's dreams in the animated series that can be seen in the opener for the show right before the logo) atop a giant rapidly-flailing splatter of alien death. Peter gets it a little weaker with another pole-strike to the ground.

Then a pumpkin bomb gets thrown into the symbiote's freaking-out goopy self, and Eddie tries to save it by diving in front of it. The bomb explodes and like I said, Eddie Brock is completely vaporized, a la the Oscorp board of directors in the first movie. Right down to the crumbling skeleton. That's it, folks.

Harry is in MJ's arms and Peter comes over, with Harry dying there as his two best friends weep. At this point the entire theater was like "...Venom and Goblin are both dead." Insert WTFIII, as Sandman explains to Peter that he didn't really mean to kill Ben, he was trying to get money to make his daughter healthy again, and Peter forgives him. Then Sandman leaves. Um, this guy just pounded the holy living bejesus out of you, caused millions of dollars in damage to the city and probably killed several police officers (if not at least harming them critically), and you just stand there as he flies away in a poof of dust? They then end the film with Peter walking into a show of MJ singing about how she doesn't need love, and she stops singing, they hug and cry. The end.

A plot that went down one path, then as soon as it found another, would rush right at it full-speed. Underdeveloped characters. TERRIBLE acting that couldn't be overlooked by core cast members. And the ending? You really, REALLY don't want to know. (Unless you read the spoiler tag stuff, in which case, you know.)

Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »

I thought the acting was perfectly fine.  But the end battle sequence was corny and stupid.  And since when did Harry's Butler become a forensic scientist?  Seems odd to me that he didn't tell him BEFORE all of this happened.  He makes Alfred from Batman look even more intelligent.

I liked the dance sequences, too.  They were more than likely meant to be embarassing, and I could tell they were just meant to make Peter come off as a complete and cocky ass.  I thought it worked great, too.  

The singing, however....no.  I'd prefer just the acting like she did in 2.  

James Franco also really surprised me, as he did great in the acting department when compared to his previous efforts.

*****SPOILERS*******

Too bad he had to die right when he got the role pretty good.  Venom was also too underdeveloped, and felt rushed in (which he was).  

I just wish the entire movie just left out the symbiote and just saved it for the next film.  It would have allowed for more development with the Sandman, which is a heartbreaking character that I didn't care about because he gets about what seems like 10 minutes of screen time.

I'd give SM3 a 7/10.  And that's being generous when comparing it to the second one, which is, in my opinion, the best superhero movie next to Superman I & II and Batman Begins.  Huge disappointment.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »

Saw this today. I didn't like it.

The first half-an-hour and the action bits were okay, but everything else just didn't do it for me. Especially the ending and the goofy bits. :P

And what the hey is it with Harry's butler?

Code:
It's like he appeared out of nowhere and in one scene automatically became some important figure in Harry's life (as compared to his previous role as the slightly quirky butler).

The acting was weird in some parts. Cheesy, maybe. I feel like Raimi was just trying too hard, resulting in a rushed and over-packed production.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Freya

freya_lexx@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »

I plan on going to see this as soon as I can. I'm trying to read up on it though to seriously decide if I want to spend the cash on it. Is it really worth it? I mean... I'm not so much into looking which actor plays who but for more of the plot line, does everything fall nicely together, does it seem moderately realistic for a superhero movie? I surely hope so. I quite enjoyed the 1st and 2nd movie, to be honest. I just hope I don't set some expectations that can't be met... I'd rather be blown away then blown under water... if you catch my drift.

A thing, until it is everything, is noise, and once it is everything it is silence
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 07:12:11 PM »

Saw it, and yea, wasn't that great. I too was particularly pissed about the whole butler thing. I wouldn't have minded the ending so much if it hadn't been for that.

Code:
I was hoping Harry would have this epic Oedipal inner struggle, and come out on top. But no, that would have been too cool. Instead we get a damn butler we've never even seen before.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Harry's development to some extent, I just think it could've been much better.

Another problem I had was with Sandman.

Code:
The whole, oh wait, this guy actually killed your Uncle bit was so flippin' retarded. The ending didn't help matters either. He was pounding Spidey to a bloody pulp five minutes before and then comes up to apologize? Whatever.

The emo kid haircuts made me laugh, but I was also disgusted. Same with most of the singing and dancing and stuff. But as far as Peter and MJ's relationship goes, I actually think this one was the best of the three movies. It was nowhere near as cheesy and romantic. Instead they actually almost seemed like real people this time around.

Almost.

Finally, Venom.

Code:
Was actually pretty cool. But, as Dave mentioned, there isn't enough of him. Should have been given his own movie. And yea, I totally wanted the third person plural Venom, but it didn't happen.

It's by no means a bad movie. It just isn't as good as the previous two were. I was expecting as much from the previews, so I wouldn't necessarily say I'm disappointed. But it could've been better. I'd still say it is worth seeing on the big screen, though, because there is just too much going on in the action sequences not to, and I think the action is where this movie (just like the others) shows its polish.

But I won't be purchasing it on DVD in five or six months.

Next Chris Nolan Batman movie please.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 07:55:04 PM »

Code:
There was also no scene with Brock really coming to grips with the symbiote, them sharing a mutual hatred, the transfer of powers and knowledge, etc. He just instantly knew everything about Spider-Man's life, and could web-swing better than he could. What?

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 05:33:21 AM »

You guys dont seriously think we have seen the last of either of those villains do you?

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 10:28:25 AM »

Code:
Maybe Sandman, but I think a fourth movie will return with Carnage. Why? Because I think after the pumpkin bomb blew Brock and the symbiote to smithereens I saw some red ooze stuff seeping down the crack it made in the building's cement floor.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 10:44:44 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
Code:
Maybe Sandman, but I think a fourth movie will return with Carnage. Why? Because I think after the pumpkin bomb blew Brock and the symbiote to smithereens I saw some red ooze stuff seeping down the crack it made in the building's cement floor.

Really? My brother and I were talking about Venom, and...

Code:
We thought that maybe Eddie Brock Senior would be the next venom, using the bit of symbiote Peter's professor still has or something. Y'know, Spider-Man killed my son revenge stuff. Or is Brock's dad dead? I'm not sure.

the2na

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 11:45:06 PM »

After seeing the movie for the fourth time it keeps on getting better and better, I love how cheesy it is. The half an hour where's all emo and an asshole is my favorite part of the movie.

And do you know who I'm hoping for in the fourth movie?

Lizardman!
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »

Quote from: "CastNuri"
Code:

Code:
We thought that maybe Eddie Brock Senior would be the next venom, using the bit of symbiote Peter's professor still has or something. Y'know, Spider-Man killed my son revenge stuff. Or is Brock's dad dead? I'm not sure.

Code:
All they have to do is show a scene back at that construction site with a single hair of Eddie's getting mixed with that trickle of symbiote that was left there, or the symbiote piece that Connors has makes its way through the city to get to that little patch of familiarity. The trickle of symbiote bonds around the hair and begins building upon itself. You see the symbiote form a whole new Venom body, and the face opens at the top to reveal Eddie, in shock.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »

Quote from: "Dave"
Quote from: "CastNuri"
Code:

Code:

Code:
All they have to do is show a scene back at that construction site with a single hair of Eddie's getting mixed with that trickle of symbiote that was left there, or the symbiote piece that Connors has makes its way through the city to get to that little patch of familiarity. The trickle of symbiote bonds around the hair and begins building upon itself. You see the symbiote form a whole new Venom body, and the face opens at the top to reveal Eddie, in shock.

That actually sounds quite creepy. :P

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 03:54:39 PM »

Dave...send an email to Sam Raimi....i think he needs your services....even if he isnt going to do the next film.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »

Does anyone feel like, with the way S3 ended, that maybe....

*SPOILERS******

Sandman will come back and help Spiderman at one point?  I certainly hope not.  The corniness of the randomly formed Dynamic Duo (New Goblin and Spidey) was corny enough.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: