Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdom Hearts II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts II  (Read 6019 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Back to the original question of what problems KH1 has, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the gummy ship...

We all drank so much we just call it "The fog between worlds".

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 09:14:44 PM »

Even in the original, its a pain in the pass to make them, but I kind of like it, especially KHII's tweaking of it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 12:41:08 AM »

I'm very impressed with this game. There's a lot of FMVs, I like it!!

I have a hard time with the camera while fighting though...
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »

KH I & II are some of my favorite games, to be honest. Aside from a few points, they are really good games, and while no means are they perfect, I had alot of fun playing both. The biggest complaint I hear about either of them, though particularly the first game, is the camera. It just never really bothered me really, aside from a few points such as flying in Neverland, on the ship. Fighting does get repetitive at times, but in the second game Reaction Commands spice it up a little. It wasn't such a big deal for me in the first place.

So, perhaps it's my being able to ignore the flaws, or perhaps I just had so much fun I forgot about them, but I have great fun playing the games.

My biggest gripe with either game, though II in particular, is going off to random Disney worlds that have no bearing on the plot. Or minimal, at least. At the same time, those worlds add charm to the game. It would just be nice if there was more of a point.

Now, since I've merely started rambling, I'll say this. Both games are great fun, though not without their flaws. Hell, even CoM was pretty fun, though I got sick of it at times. I'd say definately pick them up. Or try them, at the very least. I doubt you'll regret it.

I've been wrong before though.

P.S. The Gummi system, aside from the building of ships, has gone from "retarded" to "awesome" in the second game.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »

I bought KHII on release and I'm loving every minute of it.  It's definitely my favorite game this year.  Possibly, my favorite this generation.  I absolutely loved the original KH, but I like II much more.  I personally find the combat very enjoyable, and the camera doesn't bother me one bit.  It definitely has one of the better storylines I've heard.  Oh course, the characters are terrific.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 05:34:04 PM »

I beat Kingdom Hearts 2 a few days back, and while the game certainly was enjoyable I don't think it was fantastic in any way.

Sure, the battle system has been improved a lot, and the reaction commands and drive forms go a long way to add some spice to the fights, but that can't hide the fact that every enemy and boss in the game can be beaten just by hitting the X button over and over. There were one or two battles where you had to guard or use a reaction command to win, but for the most part just using basic combos was the most effective approach. Didn't help that the game was way too easy either, even on Proud.

Also, the worlds were far too small and too repetetive. Yes, they were a lot better than the worlds in the original, but none of the worlds really differed much in how you had to approach them, and how to defeat the enemies in them. The only one I can think of that did anything different was the POTC world, where you had to lure the pirates into moonlight to be able to defeat them. I guess one could claim that Pride Lands was different too, but there the differences were mostly cosmetic. Also, most worlds were just there as fillers, and didn't add anything to the story. This was to be expected, though, as the original was much the same. I had hoped they would pace the story a little better this time around.

And the storyline itself.. It was kind of meh, and not at all very different from the story in the first game. I actually found it to be less interesting, as you didn't have the Sora vs Riku dynamic this time around. Organization XIII made for more interesting villains than the Disney ones in KH, though.

Then there were other minor flaws, such as the incredibly stupid Atlantica and 100 Acre Woods minigames, corny dialogue, spotty voice acting and some failed attempts at humour. Most of these can be attributed to the game mainly being aimed at kids and young teens, however.

With all that said I guess it seems like I really didn't like the game, which isn't true at all. I actually had a lot fun playing through it, and most of that can be attributed to the awesome presentation, improved camera and some awesome battles, such as
Code:
Sora alone vs 1000 heartless, or fighting the Organization XIII "castle"

I'm still curious as to what Tetsuya Nomura wanted to achieve with the secret movie. Are Squeenix seriously considering making a game off that idea, or was it just put there to tease those who wanted a "darker and more mature" Kingdom Hearts? My guess is the latter.

Edit:
Oh yeah, the Gummi Ship was improved from "Abyssmally bad" to "Passably decent". The new Gummi sequences actually remind me more of Rez than Panzer Dragoon. Maybe because I've never played Panzer Dragoon.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »

Yea, I actually had fun in one of the Gummi levels this time around. That being Broken Highway (I think). The rest of them weren't terrible, but I can't say I enjoyed them either.

Personally, I thought Atlantica and The Hundred Acre Wood were nice diversions from the other worlds. Partially because I thought Atlantica was awful in the first KH and not actually having combat in that world this time around was WAY nice. But that's just me.
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 11:13:41 PM »

Maybe it was just me that had fun making the gummi ships in KH1, I kind of liked the fact that you could stick the pieces where ever you wanted. That being said I made a huge penis that shot white lasers, probably the most fun i've had building anything.

As for the game itself (KH1), if you ever watched any Disney cartoons or enjoyed Disney at any time in your life, then I would recommend getting this. because my favorite part of this game was the nastolgia that it brought back. It even led me to enjoy Atlantica and the 100 Acre Woods.

Also, maybe it's just me, but it seems as if the majority of action RPGs are just "X" mashing fests, so I can't really complain when KH does it cause it never really bothered me.
OblivionMaster

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 07:48:53 AM »

Everything in kingdom hearts 1 is well over average.
I think the gameplay is good and in no way repetitive i also think that the camera controls are perfectly ok even though they can be annnoying sometime

There are three types of people in the world people who can count and people who can't

Let me note my username refers to the oblivion Keyblade in Kingdom Hearts not The Game Oblivion
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »

Quote from: "Murdoc"
Maybe it was just me that had fun making the gummi ships in KH1, I kind of liked the fact that you could stick the pieces where ever you wanted. That being said I made a huge penis that shot white lasers, probably the most fun i've had building anything.

As for the game itself (KH1), if you ever watched any Disney cartoons or enjoyed Disney at any time in your life, then I would recommend getting this. because my favorite part of this game was the nastolgia that it brought back. It even led me to enjoy Atlantica and the 100 Acre Woods.

Also, maybe it's just me, but it seems as if the majority of action RPGs are just "X" mashing fests, so I can't really complain when KH does it cause it never really bothered me.

I agree with you, I really enjoyed building the gummi ships and whipping some crazy booty in the gummi ship levels.

And yes the Disney aspect is really cool. When I first heard they were making a game the meshed Disney and square characters I was kinda iffy, but I was pleasantly surprised by Kingdom Hearts, and it only gets better with Kingdom Hearts II.

Also, I was really happy with the FF characters in both the games. I almost wet nyself when I heard Vivi speak for the first time in KHII.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: