Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 08:47:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338669 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Sonic vs. Mario at last
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sonic vs. Mario at last  (Read 2087 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:55:19 AM »

It's not Super Smash Bros., but it's a start.

I'm hoping Nintendo's participation in this game will negate Sega's general incomptency makes it not suck. Anyway, it's just a sports game, but if it gets off the ground, it could set the stage for more Mario/Sonic crossover games, and with Nintendo's involvement it could mean Sonic games that don't suck ass!

Man, would that be a dream come true for old school fans or what?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:04:35 AM »

Of all the things to use to cross over, it's the one where Sonic has the clearcut advantage.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:10:11 PM »

I'm just hoping Miyamoto is able to kick Sonic Team's ass into gear, they obviously need a lot better direction than they've been getting.

And yes, a combined Mario/Sonic platformer, in the future, would be absolutely wonderful, so I hope the developers hit it off.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Humble Novice

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »

I can't wait to see who'll win! Sonic or Mario?
Nallo

superwilton
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:56:15 AM »

I know it's only "temporary" artwork, but the poster thing just doesn't sit well with me.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:06:21 AM »

Okay, Mario and Sonic as a platformer would rule. I'd do it like this:

You have Sonic and Mario basically switch worlds. They have no idea what's up with the world around them, but they conveniently run into friends of the other guy to help them out. You interchange the levels with Mario and Sonic, ultimately leading up to them getting back to the world they belong in.

Of course, you have some additional storyline that once they get to the end, Robotnik and Bowser have joined forces to create an army of robo-Koopas, and Bowser himself even undergoes the process. You then face Robotnik and Mecha-Bowser.

That would rule everything.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 05:02:48 PM »

Quote from: "Dave"

You have Sonic and Mario basically switch worlds. They have no idea what's up with the world around them, but they conveniently run into friends of the other guy to help them out. You interchange the levels with Mario and Sonic, ultimately leading up to them getting back to the world they belong in.

That's pretty dope. I'd be even better if the world's just weren't adapted for the other character. For instance: Mario couldn't run the loops. He'd just keep falling when he gets to the top and have to fly over or something. There could be some seriously wacky level design.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:45:26 AM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"

That's pretty dope. I'd be even better if the world's just weren't adapted for the other character. For instance: Mario couldn't run the loops. He'd just keep falling when he gets to the top and have to fly over or something. There could be some seriously wacky level design.

Online petition time!

Seriously though, that would be great.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 08:03:19 PM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"

And imagine levels where Mario would use a wing cap. I can so picture getting to this big humongous gap, and having to build up an insane amount of speed to clear the distance whereas Mario would fly around collecting coins.

That game would be the number one selling videogame of all time if they put the amount of love into it that it deserves.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:43:41 AM »

And imagine levels where Mario would use a wing cap. I can so picture getting to this big humongous gap, and having to build up an insane amount of speed to clear the distance whereas Mario would fly around collecting coins.

That game would be the number one selling videogame of all time if they put the amount of love into it that it deserves.

Number one selling? I don't know about that. I think lots of people might be a bit put off by the fact that Mario and Sonic are now immersed in worlds full of obstacles they don't immediately have the ability to conquer. However, no doubt, it would be the world's most god damn awesome game.

The real question though: could Sonic ride Yoshi?
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »

Quote from: Willy Elektrix
The real question though: could Sonic ride Yoshi?

I've got one word for that... "ouch!"

But seriously, these are some wicked ideas. When I get bored, I sometimes have been known to head over and babysit the kiddies over at the Nintendo NSider forums, and all of their ideas are rehashes of common cliches, and they present them like they're something completely new and different...

...and sometimes it feels like gamedevelopers do the same thing.

But really, back to a 2D platformer, where Mario and Sonic have to navigate the physical layout of their non-perspective worlds, sounds like a lot of fun, with a great opportunity for a lot of humor (like Mario falling on his ass on loops, Sonic getting burned by fire flowers, and becoming very confused when he grows a racoon tail from a falling leaf.

What's more is that it could be a complete play on the supposed Nintendo/Sega rivalry, with the two constantly bickering (Mario silently, of course), and carrying on like two grumpy cousins, with Tales and Luigi having been forgotten and left to fend for themselves.

I dunno. The series are just so compatable... they were made to rival each other in the real world, so it makes sense to just open a can of grab ass, and do it in the virtual realm. At the very least, it'd make for a killer DS title, if done well.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »

Umm, hate to burst your bubble there guys, but that was the site's last update before April 1st...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:08:40 AM »

Quote from: "Evil Gately"
Umm, hate to burst your bubble there guys, but that was the site's last update before April 1st...

Sega still has it on their site. If this is seriously just an April Fool's joke, then it's really lame to keep a page up for it and not announce it's true nature when the day's over, let along the month.

Unless you're just being pessimistic since they still need to update about game information. They're probably falling into old habits and saving it for E3 or whatever.
Rush

curtis_harding@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 10:19:47 PM »

I remember as a little kid back in the Genesis days... I'd say to myself that these two gaming Icons would never combine to make one game, But I guess I was wrong. It's good to see.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: