Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 06:31:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332007 Posts in 13600 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Save RPGFan Radio!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Save RPGFan Radio!  (Read 3202 times)
ozanqwer

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:54:21 AM »

Unfortunately, my first post here won't be a hello message.

Rpgfan Radio is now no longer supported. Jason "parn" Walton decided to put an end to the radio since the fees went up quite up: 125 to 500

Is there something we can do? His comment at the bottom is like a suicide message for his radio.

How can we save RPGFan Radio? Or is it a long-gone conclusion?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:28:04 PM »

I hear car washes are pretty good fund raisers.  Anybody here look good in a bikini? :P

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 11:08:34 PM »

lolz. Not that I have high hopes for RPGFan Radio's survival, but if someone WANTED to do a car wash for the most absurd reason in the world, saving an internet radio station that plays videogame music would probably top the list...

I do not look good in a bikini tho. Any takers? :P

Ramza

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:04:36 AM »

-sighs- Well.

I do run OAS radio at the moment, and I wouldn't mind reviving RPGFan using a live broadcast from my computer via Live365. Only issue is, I'll need a bit of time and help.

One, I need to get my PC repaired. I use my macs generally, and so my PC has had no purpose for quite some time. I can get that done shortly, so I'll have a dedicated machine. The other issue is money, since there are fees involved running the station. However, I'll discuss such later. I'm fairly confidant that whatever I propose will be sufficiently cheaper in the long run than the deal Jason had going.

Kudos to him for keeping it up so long though.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 04:52:02 PM »

Frankly, I'm amazed he didn't stop it sooner.

I ran a station on live365 called RPGCafe radio. I put a lot of love into that station, but I felt 35 bucks a MONTH was way too much considering the quality wasn't anything wonderful, and was supported by ads anyway.

Really, I don't think we should support it. Why? Because I think Parn's reasoning for not supporting the station ring true. Why pay 500 a year for royalties so the composers don't get a nickel of it, but greedy music labels?

It doesn't compute. Listen, and buy, game music CDs instead.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »

An RPGFan Podcast is where our efforts should go.

I'd help with that no problem.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
An RPGFan Podcast is where our efforts should go.

I'd help with that no problem.

I agree.  I know I didn't the last time you brought it up, but things change. :P

Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 03:27:26 PM »

Yeah, I saw that RPGFan Radio went down. I don't know if this would help, but I put together a radio station on Live365, called Infinite.Bit Radio (Yeah, it's named after the production company I'm trying to start). It is nothing serious, but at least it's something that can be used, for now. Only reason it exists is because I currently work for Live365, but I'm trying to get out. With the whole royalties thing that's going on with internet radio companies, a lot of them stand to lose millions... At least, if they decide to pay. Supposedly our CEO is basically saying "Fuck the RIAA! We're not paying! Come and get us!" kind of attitude.

I don't blame Parn for wanting to stop. Live365 prices shouldn't have changed already, but there is nothing to guarantee. Honestly, I work here, but I would rather stream from somewhere else. I get annoyed at the DCMA violations our customers have to deal with... especially with gaming music. It's not easy choosing 4 or 5 of Nobuo Uematsu best tracks out of like 20 plus albums. Being a tech support for customers is always a good way of seeing the faults of a company... and this company has a ton of them. Live365 isn't bad, but they could do better.

Anyway, this is free to me until I find another job, so enjoy it while it lasts. Also, if you guys have suggestions, let me know.

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »

Thanks for the word Dio.

An update on "RPGFan Radio" ...

We have a secret project in the works for the entire site. Part of this project will involve the soundtracks section. Eventually, it will be the case that every audio sample in the RPGFan Soundtracks collection will be playable in a "shuffle" mode...this will become the new RPGFan Radio.

(and no, it WON'T be realplayer. It will play within your browser).

Ramza

Eldritter

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43:18 PM »

Actually, I have been really disappointed with the availability of good game music radio on the internet on a whole, and do miss the RPGFan radio.  I was actually thinking that it would be great to start an RPGFan podcast (or maybe I would do my own podcast).  But one of the things stopping me from doing this is concerns about the copyright and royalty stuff.  Does anyone have advice about how to handle music rights on a podcast for game music? 
I have a pretty extensive (although not exhaustive) game music collection so I wouldn't mind doing a few casts.... However these copyright horror stories would prevent me from doing casts, even if it did inspire people to buy game music, I would be afraid of legal consequences.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »

I didn't even know that a RPGfan Radio even existed.

The project that Ramza speaks of sounds really cool, looking forward to that (and not using Real Player :D)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »

Yeah, this is three years old and with a now-misleading title. You can make a new topic instead.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:31:44 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: