Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nostalgia lane.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia lane.  (Read 4621 times)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »

I like these threads and we ain't had one in awhile so here's the question.

Top 5 favourite RPG's of all time

Top 5 Fondest Gaming memories

here's me ^_^

5 most treasured RPG's

5. Suikoden 2
4. Vagrant Story
3. FF vii
2. Orcarina of Time

1. Secret of Mana

5 most treasured gaming moments

5. When I first played Halo on my new X-Box
4. Being surprised at Christmas many many years ago with a Snes ^-^
3. The first time I saw Mario 64...speechless
2. Walking into a retro shop and seeing Skies of Arcadia

1. The first few Days I played World of Warcraft, 13 months ago now and still the fondest memory I'm ever likely to have, due to the fact that 13 friends started playing with me at the same time. One of the most magical moments ever.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 11:03:20 PM »

Games:
5. Final Fantasy VII
4. Digital Devil Saga
3. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
2. Tales of Destiny
1. Suikoden II

Moments:
5. Getting Kirby's Adventure for the NES the first day of summer when I was in Kindergarten.
4. Playing Suikoden after Suikoden II, noticing all the 'returning' Stars.
3. Watching the good ending of SH:C. I fanboyed.
2. Suikoden II, Luca Blight battle. Holy Crap!!!
1. My entire first playthrough of FFVII. It's not my favorite game, but it was the first RPG I ever played, and the experience was second to none.

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:14:25 AM »

Top 5 RPGs:

5. Dark Cloud 2
4. Breath of Fire III
3. Digital Devil Saga
2. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
1. Final Fantasy IX

Moments:

5. My first 12 hour Super Smash Bros. Melee marathon. Nothing beats hanging out with friends and beating the snot out of eachother with Nintendo characters.
4. Playing Mickey Mouse and Ninja Turtle games on my old Gameboy as a kid.
3. Opening up a guitar sized Christmas present after being dissapointed at not getting the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (which was at the top of my list), only to find it's dinky little box hidden inside.
2. Getting my first Playstation, and taking a gamble with a little game I had never heard of called Threads of Fate. That was really the point of no return for me as far as RPGs go.
1. Being introduced to Mario by my cousin at the tender age of four. Yeah, I still remember it.
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 04:08:38 AM »

My Top 5:

5. Evolution
4. Suikoden 2
3. Digital Devil Saga
2. Crystalis
1. Final Fantasy VI

My Fondest Moments:

5. When the top loading Nintendo Console was released.
4. Going to Sears and playing with the N64 display for hours on end.
3. Remembering how smart I thought I was for beating Castlevania 2: Simons Quest all by myself.
2. My first Console: A used Nintendo System which I named Chester.
1. Going to my towns video store when they were having a going out of business sale - They let me have earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy IV for 40$.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 04:31:34 AM »

Top 5 RPG
Planescape: Torment
Final Fantasy Tactics
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears

(I'm not putting them in any order, as the difference in excellence between them is miniscule)

Fondest Moments
1. Getting a NES for my birthday back in '89 or '90. I loved it, and the NES was what really sparked my interest in gaming, but the most vivid memory I have of it is that my father actually played it more than I did. He and my brothers sat up the whole night when I first got it, playing Super Mario Bros. I remember being afraid that they played it for too long, and that the console would melt.
2. Borrowing Secret of Mana from a friend. SoM was one of the first Japanese-style RPGs that were released for the SNES in Europe, and playing it was love at first sight. I loved everything about that game, from the graphics to the gameplay and music. I still get shivers down my spine whenever I hear Fear of the Angels.
3. Beating Final Fantasy VI. FF VI was one of the very first turn-based RPGs I played, and the experience was similar to what I had with Secret of Mana. These two games have really defined my taste in gaming.
4. Renting Final Fantasy VII, playing it for 20 hours without a memory card and then getting killed by a boss - just to instantly begin playing it from the beginning again, and pounding that boss into submission the next time I met it. Playing RPGs on the PSX without memory card = hardcore.
5. Watching my brothers and father (again) play Last Ninja on the Commodore 64. The C64 was my first taste of gaming, and even if the NES had a bigger impact on me I remember being increadly fascinated by Last Ninja. At that point in time I was too young to play myself, so I was content with just watching.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 05:07:22 AM »

Top 5 Favorite RPGs of All Time

1.  Xenogears (PSX)
2.  Valkyrie Profile (PSX)
3.  Ys ~Eternal~ and Ys II ~Eternal~ (J-PC)
4.  Ys ~The Oath in Felghana~ (J-PC)
5.  Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (PSX/J-SAT)

Honorable Mentions:  Crystalis (NES), Final Fantasy IV (SNES), Langrisser V: The End of Legend (J-SAT), Lunar: Silver Star Story (PSX/J-SAT), and many more.

Top 5 Fondest Gaming Memories

1.  Waking up early (5:00 AM) on Saturday mornings, sneaking out to the living room (where the NES was located), quietly putting on headphones and playing Dragon Warrior until my parents woke up.  They were always like "Holy crap, what are you doing up so early?"  My parents were generally strict when it came to bedtimes; to circumvent that, I simply got up at obscenely early hours in the morning in order to get my extra dose of gaming goodness. :P

2.  Final Fantasy IV.  It was the first RPG that made me think, "This game has an incredible storyline, incredible characters, and one hell of a soundtrack."  It was the game that made me start thinking of RPGs as an art form and a real medium for self-expression, not just a "silly video game."

3.  Brave Fencer Musashiden.  A pretty "meh" title overall, but it was my very first imported game...!  I bought it (for the hefty price of $79.99... which was a LOT as a kid) to get my hands on the Final Fantasy VIII demo which was included with the game.  I liked Musashiden, though, and it was one of the first games which kick-started my interest in studying Japanese for the purpose of understanding Japanese RPGs.

4.  Dance Dance Revolution.  And the community, tournaments, and all the good times that went along with it.

5.  Final Fantasy XI.  No MMORPG fosters a greater sense of teamwork, accomplishment, triumph, and reward than Final Fantasy XI.  Quite naturally, the members of your linkshell become good friends rather quickly, people that you can count on.  Staying up until 2-3 AM hunting Genkai 1 items and coffer keys, doing missions, and overcoming obstacles are all among my favorite Final Fantasy XI memories.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 05:44:21 AM »

Favourite RPGs

1. Beyond the Beyond
2. Everquest
3. The 7th Saga
4. Ephemeral Phantasia
5. Grandia Xtreme

Fondest Memories

1. Playing FFXI with my best friend Vandal. That totally rocked. And he didn't whine at ALL the entire time! Not about the kill rate, or the exp we were getting, or the people we had partied with; never whined at all!

2. Playing Everquest for two and a half years and doing so much in the game. It was amazing and still one of the best games I've ever played. The graphics kick ass even now, and the player community isn't filled with n00bs like WoW.

3. Realising how much better Persona was in English. My import was not even close to the quality of the translated product. Who knew Mark was actually black? It's understandable that the original didn't have that in it, the Japanese don't know what black people are.

4. Playing Ephermeral Phantasia for the first time on PS2. Everyone was going on about Final Fantasy X coming up, but the real action was in Ephemeral Phantasia. It's one of the best RPGs ever, even better than awesome titles like Dragon Warrior VII.

5. Sitting down and realising my Genesis was dead. I never liked that system anyway, and I was glad to throw it out in the trash. That was an awesome day.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 09:19:53 AM »

Some nice tales here, I can relate to you Shiguma, getting up at teh crack of dawn to play Games. I used to get up early on Saturdays to go to town and get the latest Gaming magazines and go home to play FF, playing Final Fantasy games all day long...

Intersting how some of of site MMOrpg's as very fond memroies, for obvious reasons. The community on these games is what makes the memories so prescious, and the times spent banding together trhough the early hours of the morning.

Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »

Top 5, in no particular order...

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy VII
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Chrono Trigger

Gaming Moments:

Seeing Super Mario 64 for the first time and having my brother say 'how did you do that?!' when my sister jumped through the painting to the first level.

Finding Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete used at EB Games after looking for it for the longest time and being blown away by it. Similar to Shiguma's story, this is the first game that I liked for its storyline.

Renting Mischief Makers for N64 almost every other week but never getting around to buying it.

Pilotwings 64... unlocking Birdman mode and screwing around with it for hours on end. Little States was the most amazing thing in the world to me for a time. ;)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was my favorite game as a kid. I played it all the damn time. I can even remember being in the car holding Sonic 3 in my hands when we went to buy it.

Being obsessed with Brain Lord for SNES for the longest time and getting so pissed when I'd lost it. Several years later I bought a copy of it off of eBay and relived so many memories.

I never did play any MMORPG's, but there was a chat program that allowed you to walk around a world as a character. I could probably tell you 500 different memories that I got from it.
Scree

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:53:57 AM »

My Top 5 RPGs
- Thousand Arms
- Final Fantast IX
- Chrono Cross
- Jade Cocoon: Story of Tamamayu
- Legend of Legaia

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 12:32:46 PM »

Top Five RPGs:
5. Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken
4. Breath of Fire II
3. Final Fantasy IV
2. Chrono Trigger
1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Honorable mentions: Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Bahamut Lagoon, Gargoyle's Quest 2: The Demon Darkness.

And because I'm annoying like this, Top 5 Non-RPGs:
5. Megaman X4
4. Viewtiful Joe
3. Megaman 2
2. Super Metroid
1. Super Mario Bros. 3

Honorable mentions: Megaman 3, Super Mario World, Metroid Fusion, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Twisted Metal (the first one), Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II.

Top Five Gaming Memories (dammit it was so hard to choose!):

5. Disclaimer: I'm combining these two memories. Being three years old and getting an NES for Christmas. I remember sitting and watching my older sisters playing Super Mario Bros. and not letting me! Finally when I did get a chance to play, by myself, I couldn't even jump over the first gap in 1-1. So I really didn't game a whole lot until we got our hands on wonderful gold cartridge of The Legend of Zelda. I remember being entranced by the music and playing hours on end even though I never made it past the fourth dungeon until years later. After playing it for a while I went back to SMB and made it over that first hole in the ground and kept going.

4. Playing Final Fantasy II/IV for the first time at a friend's house and falling in love with it. I admit, I probably only did so because I thought Kain's jump attack was God's gift to the world of extreme awesomeness, and still think that. I'd played RPGs before but this was the first that really made me interested in the genre. But since my family skipped the SNES, I missed quite a few of the ones that would later be on my favorites list, like Breath of Fire II.

3. Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES. What more can I say? This isn't my favorite game of all time but definitely my favorite non-RPG. This game and my Game Gear were my companions during the SNES years. I still find SMB3 just as fun to play as when it was first released.

2. Getting a Game Gear for Christmas when I was eight years old with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I played it for hours and became a huge Sonic fan. Sonic stole my heart from Mario who had won it in Super Mario Bros. 3. I believe I owned pretty much every Sonic game ever released on Game Gear, my favorite being Sonic Triple Trouble. There was also the whole factor of coolness since I had a portable gaming system with color where my friends were stuck with those silly GameBoy things.

1. Getting The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for Christmas of 1998. A year of gaming was spent solely with this game. I was immersed by the world and couldn't put it down. I remember my family physically had to come take me from the front of the TV that Christmas to go to my grandparents' house for Christmas dinner. I spent so many hours trying to find all the heart pieces and Gold Skulltulas it isn't even funny. Then a few months after I got the game I heard rumors of a second ending if you did EVERYTHING in the game: heart pieces, Gold Skulltulas, every single treasure chest and sidequest. So I spent long months trying to find everything, and even bought a complete guide eventually to help me find all the treasure chests in hidden holes. Finally with everything completed I finished the game only to find there was no second ending, but still feeling accomplished that I had done everything possible in the game without resorting to glitches. I still make a note to play through the game at least once a year.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 05:54:10 AM »

Top five RPGs are

5. Final Fantasy VI
4. Star Wars Galaxies
3. Phantasy Star IV
2. Final Fantasy VII
1. Chrono Trigger

Top moments (gonna do non-rpgs as well) would be...
5. Sitting with one of the guys who got me into RPGs (who I was basically living with during the summer of that year) playing Final Fantasy VII, and both of us having the same slack-jawed expression at the end of Disc I.

4. Almost crying during a game for the first time during my first runthrough of Phantasy Star IV.

3. BEATING CONTRA WITHOUT THE CODE. (really should be number one for how long it took)

2. Being able to say I was able to beat every single Sonic the Hedgehog game ever made, a true feat when you factor in the ones that sucked hard.

1. The very first overt/guild war I had in Galaxies. 6 groups of 8 and one group of 7 against a seemingly endless number of Rebels (over 9 full groups and some small three-man squads) over two planets. The guild I was in at the time (Talus Expeditionary Force) was in a fierce war with the Light Side Order, when a private conference was held by the leaders of the two guilds and they came to the conclusion of ending the war in one gargantuan Special Forces bloodbath. I killed over a dozen level 80+ Jedi that day and I was only level 58. Woot.

The one that goes beyond ranking, however, the moment that solidified me being a hardcore RPG fan, is when I completely and thoroughly conquered Chrono Trigger. Only then did the spirit awake.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »

Goddamn, this thread is getting to me.
How the hell am I supposed to sift through all the games in my head and pick my 5 fav rpgs? Insane, I tell you. I guess that's why some of you are including honorable mentions.

Top 5 rpgs
Final Fantasy IV
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Phantasy Star II(PURE nostalgia on this one)
Y's I & II for the TG-CD

honorable mentions: Lunar I & II for the Sega CD, FF VI, VII and X, Suikoden I & II, Skies of Arcadia, Dark Cloud 2, Zelda: LTTP and OOT, and of course, Xenogears.

memories. Now THIS is tough!

-I remember how my brothers and I schemed to buy a SNES while in the store with our mother. We did manage to pull it off. Along that same line, I remember my father coming in the room while one of us was playing FFIV. He said something about the music, and one of us said that there were new NES games out with better sound chips in them or something. We were bad ,lying kids.

-Saving my hard-earned $$$'s for a very long time so I could buy a Sega CD. I was obsessed with getting one. Sol-Feace was friggin amazing! right? Man, was I one confused kid. Good thing WD made it all worthwhile.

-I will always remember the first time I played Super Castlevania IV. The music! The parallax scrolling! Mode 7! Holy shit, this game was amazing. It remains my fav Castlevania simply due to the fond memories.

-Cosmic Fantasy 2 for the TG-CD rocked my world. Sure, the game itself was pretty bland, but the cimenas and the voices made me go gaga. Throw in the heartbreaker of an ending and I was shook for life. How many of you still hear people talking about CF2? I'm guessing zero. I tend to be the only one who ever brings it up around here(along with Dungeon Explorer II - Oh, the music!)

-Phantasy Star - I honestly don't remember the order of things, but This is the game that REALLY got me into rpgs. My brothers and I played this thing for months on end. My most potent memory? That I never beat it. We were in some dungeon with a nut and a prism and didn't know what to do! Still bothers me to this day. Hell, I bought the GBA trilogy to try and rectify this, but didnt get all that far. *sighs*

Wow. That was tough. Now I want to go back and play all these games. Thanks a lot, folks.
; - )

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 12:05:15 PM »

Top 5 RPGs:

1. Shining The Holy Ark (Sega Saturn)
2. Story of Thor (Mega Drive)
3. Phantasy Star I (Master System)
4. Grandia II (Dreamcast)
5. Final Fantasy IV (SNES)

And some random memories:

1. While still living in Holland (when I was 7, so 1992), my aunt and cousin came over on a ferry to visit us. My aunt brought me the Master System version of Sonic 1 as a present, my first and favourite Sonic game. If not because of the excellent Yuzo Koshiro music.

2. First finding a copy of Phantasy Star End of The Millenium in the library as a rental. And subsequently renting it. Having read a review of the NTSC version of it in Mean Machines Sega, and not anticipating that they would have released it in Limeyville.

3. My 12th birthday. The day I first started secondary school, and randomly got to choose between my presents of Sonic Jam and Shining The Holy Ark (both Sega Saturn) in the morning. I picked Sonic Jam to play a couple of hours before school, and Shining The Holy Ark when I got home.

4. Finishing Shenmue II. Because the last couple of hours of that, where stuff actually happens on disc 3 and you stroll through disc 4, were fucking excellent.

5. My last two out of three trips to America, which were in Arlington, Texas and Santa Monica, LA in that order. Being a limey cunt who obviously has no right to play such esteemed PSX RPGs that they didn't bring out back home, buying a shit load of PSX1 games on the first trip (FF Anthology, Chrono Cross, Lunar Eternal Blue Complete, Parasite Eve 2) and a huge load of GameCube games the second time was excellent. The fellow in the Santa Monica EB even gave me a discount when I didn't have enough money the last time I went in there. Because I was stupid and didn't figure in the tax into my spending hoard, and I meantioned that I was going home in a couple of hours. :P

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »

Myau is making me do this, so...

Five Favorite RPGs

1) Shining Force II
2) Phantasy Star IV
3) Shining Force / Shining Force: Ressurection of the Dark Dragon
4) Valkyrie Profile
5) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Five Memories

1) Seeing my first RPG ever being played.  It was Link's Adventure and I really had no idea what was happening, cause I was used to Mario and Battletoads and Q-Bert and other action games.  The rampant amount of text and menues and stat bars and numbers boggled my toddler mind.  I always wanted to play Zelda after that.

2) Playing Dragon Warrior for the first time.  It was the first chance I got to actually play one of these "RPGs" and not have any idea what the fuck was happening.  I was so young and the prospect of taking care of so much text and so many numbers also made my mind collapse.  But it was so much fun.

3) When I was 12, my mom rented me a Genesis and some games for my birthday.  Including Shining Force.  I had read about the game in an old old issue of Game Players I had that included this free mini Shining Force strategy guide.  I really really wanted to play the game, cause despite this being years and years after my Zelda and Dragon Warrior escapades, I still didn't own and thusly have the leisure of playing an RPG whenever I wanted.  The closest I had to an RPG, was Wonder Boy in Monster World.  Anyway, I had great fun for the short time we had the Genny rented for.  I knew I wanted to own SF and other games like it.

4) Seeing Final Fantasy VII in action at the flea market when it was first released.  Man, the battle graphics had me literally mesmerized.

5) Just recently I found Suikoden I and II for 5.99 each.  This goes hand in hand with the time I found Breath of Fire I sealed for 7.99.  And which I later sold for 159 bucks.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: