Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 05:10:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330102 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  GaGaGame Journal #5
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 Print
Author Topic: GaGaGame Journal #5  (Read 54900 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »

After being console-less for almost a year and a half I moved into a new apartment with a PS2 and got back into my old self.  I bought Rogue Galaxy and I just got to Vedan.  The dungeons are long, but the game is pretty fun and really light hearted and comical.  Combat gets a bit intense and it's really item heavy since I've yet to see a single healing spell and I have a fealing I wont be seeing one.  I'm going to start messing with the Factory soon, but from what I saw at first  glance I don't think I'll like it too much and see myself using it very sparsely. Hopefully I'll finish this before Persona 3 comes out because that is definitely next.

Saving up for an Xbox360 right now because I need to get Eternal Sonata.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2007, 02:37:09 AM »

30 hours into Tales of the Abyss.

Code:
Just got out of the planet's core, beating the shit out of Sync (Yay for Mystic Artes, though Sync's Mystic Arte killed me >.>), finding out Ion and Sync are replicas, and watching Lorelei take over Tear's body momentarily.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #422 on: July 27, 2007, 02:43:08 AM »

Persona 3:

Code:
There's a dog in my party.  A dog that fights with a knife in his mouth and summons cerberus with his collar.

You read that correctly.

A little further than halfway done, at about 25 hours.  I don't know how Damian managed 100+ hours out of a single playthrough.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: July 27, 2007, 04:21:59 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Code:
A little further than halfway done, at about 25 hours.  I don't know how Damian managed 100+ hours out of a single playthrough.

I don't think this needs the "code" button, but John used it for his, so I'll do the same:

Code:
My final time was 95:32.  About ~5 hours of that was "AFK time," left the game running while cooking dinner, doing laundry, etc.  So, about ~90 hours.  I also had 6 out of 7 characters at Level 99 and 92% completion of the Persona Compendium, though, so I think the amount of time spent grinding towards the end and doing the optional quests significantly contributes to the time total.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 27, 2007, 04:27:26 AM »

You look at those time totals, and it seems like there's no reason to fear the game not giving you enough time. :P
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: July 27, 2007, 04:33:35 AM »

Completionists will have their hands full, I guarantee.  Especially in preparation for the optional boss battle against...

Code:
Elizabeth

...which is freakin' insane.  I still maintain that it's impossible to win on the first playthrough.

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: July 27, 2007, 11:55:45 AM »

Dark Cloud - Somehow I managed to get a Magic Hammer for Goro in a random chest, which would otherwise have cost me several hours of my "life" getting the 1800 fishing points needed to get it the normal way. So now most enemies die in one hit. All I'm doing now with Goro is trying to build up the Magic Hammer to a hammer which is probably called the Ultra Mega Mega Death Hammer or something.

After that comment about the Owl Sword, I'm probably not going to buy it. Though if I sold all my attachments and other unnecessary items...

Edit: Shiguma, is that optional boss in Persona 3 about as hard as
Code:
Satan
in DDS 2 and
Code:
the Demi-Fiend
in DDS 1? Or are those bosses "easy" by MegaTen standards?
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: July 27, 2007, 02:03:52 PM »

33 hours in TotA now...

Code:
Beat Arietta, Legretta, and Largo. I had to keep using Life Bottles on Luke and Guy...besides that, the battle wasn't too hard, as I beat all three of them within five minutes. Then I just released the last passage ring, watched the story events that followed, and I'm heading for Keterburg..
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2007, 04:52:16 PM »

Care to know what I really like about Tales of the Abyss?

Luke actually freaks out at
Code:
having to kill people (at first). Up until now, RPG characters have been inexplicable super warriors, in tune with the "kill or die" philosophy.
Luke's reaction is rather realistic and makes sense.

On an unrelated note, regarding Final Fantasy VIII...your fellow soldiers are heroes through-and-through.
Code:
There's no big, evil military conspiracy behind Garden other than to defeat the Sorceress, and maybe that small squabble with NORG. Squall & Co. remain part of the armed forces throughout the whole story, and they're still in the right by doing so. You could go as far as to say that [i]Final Fantasy VIII[/i] paints a deceptively honorable and heroic picture of military service, and that it's military propaganda...if you're a conspiracy obsess.

The cliche, of course, is to discover that the army you've been working under the whole time is comprised entirely of shmucks who're just using you, but when the non-cliche is applied, it's just...boring. Then again, I suppose pictures of the heroic military and the backstabbing military have both been exhausted.

The audience complains alot about cliches, but I say go with what works. Unless, of course, you're Nippon-Ichi, then you're able to deviate and make hilarious ridicule of cliches.
Nad
Morbid Minister

BurningNad
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: July 27, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »

Completely bored and unable to find any decent games to hold my interest at the moment, I've only been really playing Meteos for DS, almost have all the planets unlocked, got all 12 endings (surviving against Luna=Luna for a minute and a half without winning or losing is pretty damn hard).

Nothing.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: July 27, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »

Bernhardt, I'm totally with you on both those things. Luke freaking out at having to kill people was very well done. What most people realize is that even with highly trained soldiers, MANY will actually subconciously not even aim for their targets. It really goes against most aspects of human nature to be REALLY willing to end another person's life, even intensive training can only break through part of that.

And FF8 really is unique in it's military aspect. I wasn't aware of it at first, but it's very military oriented. A lot of the music (one of my favorite soundtracks) consists of things like field drums, marches, and anthems, things that represent military life. Now, I consider myself a pretty clear-cut pacifist, but I had NO PROBLEM with FF8s military orientation, because it really demonstrated what an ideal military really SHOULD be like. It was free of the social control, and the rampent testosterone leather-neck syndrome. I think the fact that men and women were equals in their rolls had a lot to do with it too. Only in a few cases did you really get the macho military guy stereotype.

The bottom line, there was a whole lot more respect than I've ever heard of in a military organization. Some people in the armed forces will probably say that a good military can't have that much respect, or that lack of social control. But in any case, I'd like to believe that such an organization is possible... I think they'd be more likely to make the more humane decision when the time comes.

I keep thinking about this. I'm practically a C.O., and most soldiers that I've met in my life, I have great prejiduces against. I even feel very distanced from soldiers I see in the movies. But soldiers in games, for some reason, take on a whole new meaning. Most of them are completely different from the military lifestyles that I've seen and heard about.

I think I feel a new thread coming on...

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: July 27, 2007, 11:41:17 PM »

Now 36 hours into Tales of the Abyss. Just like Team Symphonia to drag out the game past where it could have ended. >.>
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: July 28, 2007, 04:01:59 AM »

I was visiting colleges for the past two days and arrived home to play some fun stuff, including the Fury Beta, the Eternal Sonata demo, and Gran Turismo HD. The Fury Beta was not so much fun because of my supremely lacking computer. When all of the settings were pumped it looked really great, but it also looked like a picture book (I'd say about 3fps). I unfortunately couldn't get it to much better than that, but I'm going to try a bit more later today and on Sunday.

Eternal Sonata! To tell you the truth, I kinda crossed this off of my list with Blue Dragon because there are just so many games coming out this fall and a very standard Japanese Action RPG is probably not worth the time or purchase. I was glad I got a chance to play the demo, because it was worth some fun, but I can't help but say that I was disappointed in how little it tried to break out of the box. The whole time I was playing I felt as if I had been to the same town with a huge field of flowers in just about any other JRPG I've played. So yes, that will stay crossed off of the list for now.

Finally, GTHD. Free download off of the PSN, and worth every penny. I've never really been a good sim driver, and some things never change. It was kinda fun though. I unlocked about half of the cars.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2007, 05:26:03 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Shiguma, is that optional boss in Persona 3 about as hard as
Code:
Satan
in DDS 2 and
Code:
the Demi-Fiend
in DDS 1? Or are those bosses "easy" by MegaTen standards?

If you know "the strategy" to beating her (there is only one way, and it's rather complicated and counter-intuitive), it's on-par difficulty-wise with the aforementioned bosses.  If you don't know "the strategy," it's literally impossible, because she'll insta-kill you in more ways than you can imagine.

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: July 28, 2007, 05:37:39 AM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
Now 36 hours into Tales of the Abyss. Just like Team Symphonia to drag out the game past where it could have ended. >.>

Yeah, the pacing in the game is pretty horrible sometimes. Way too much, go here, now go there, back and forth, for small increments of exposition. It gets very repetitive later on.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: