Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338099 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Grandia III review...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Grandia III review...  (Read 2234 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:16:33 PM »

Does anyone think the Grandia III review on the main page is a bit high? To be honest, I think the game was a real letdown from the other games in the series. I MIGHT give Grandia II a 91% (even with its major dramatic flaws). I guess my main beef is that Grandia III started off with so much potential, and then completely killed all of its originality about 1/3rd the way through the game. I'd put it in the mid 70s, in terms of score.

I don't usually post my opinions of reviews, but this one seemed particularly agregious.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »

I actually feel that way about a fair number of reviews. MMX:CM got an 80-ish, and that's far too high for an ultimately mediocre, run of the mill RPG dressed up as a Megaman game.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:25:58 PM »

That just happened to be Lee's opinion.  If you look at John's review of the game, he gave it much lower scores, pretty much saying the same thing: game starts off well, but then becomes disappointing towards the end.  It's the human factor.  No person can truly be objective in his/her writing.  I mean, I absolutely gushed over Hourglass of Summer (even gave it Editor's Choice) but people who aren't into Japanese love adventures would think it was a turdpile.  

And in terms of the grading, it's like teachers in school.  What would be considered a C+ paper in Ms. Jones English class would be an A paper in Ms. Greenwood's English class.  Speaking purely for myself, I generally tend to be more generous with scores than other people (benefit of the doubt and all that).

I would say if you're disagreeable with a review, take it up with the reviewer him/herself rather than air the dirty laundry on the public forums.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:39:11 PM »

At the same time you can read a review and the score utterly clashes with that they said. There was one case of another game reviewed by Lee that was considered average in the review, yet got an 80 in the end.

Personally, I feel handing out 90+ scores to any game that is considered good dilutes the value they have. I pretty much consider GameRankings the defacto source for scores since it averages the myriad of sites and magazines out there, and RPGFan's reviews only matter to me if it's an editor whose opinion I value.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Personally, I feel handing out 90+ scores to any game that is considered good dilutes the value they have. I pretty much consider GameRankings the defacto source for scores since it averages the myriad of sites and magazines out there, and RPGFan's reviews only matter to me if it's an editor whose opinion I value.

I agree... and tend to respect GameRanking's scores a bit better (has GameRankings ever pulled scores from RPGFan?) As someone who spends most of their time at Slashdot.org, which consists, mainly, of replies to articles, I sorta wish this site had commentary sections for each game or review. For one thing, if you notice, a lot of our opinions on particular games leak out into other, more over-arching discussions in the forums, possibly because of the lack of anywhere else to post these things?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Does anyone think the Grandia III review on the main page is a bit high? To be honest, I think the game was a real letdown from the other games in the series. I MIGHT give Grandia II a 91% (even with its major dramatic flaws). I guess my main beef is that Grandia III started off with so much potential, and then completely killed all of its originality about 1/3rd the way through the game. I'd put it in the mid 70s, in terms of score.

I don't usually post my opinions of reviews, but this one seemed particularly agregious.

I agree.  Honestly while I do read and enjoy Lee's reviews, I ignore his scores since they always feel too high to me.

Grandia 3 was definitely a let-down.  Though surprisingly, I actually did finish the game.  That's rare these days.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 02:37:29 AM »

something i think you need to consider when reading a review is reviewers tilt, wich i can usually discern from reading a review. for me i play rpg's for the gameplay so i would rate a game with a great battle system and an average story much higher than a game with a fantastic story story and average battle system. from your posts here so far i get the impression that you value story above all else.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 08:31:27 AM »

I'm like Alisha.  Gameplay is the most important thing I look for in RPGs and Grandia 3 rocked in that aspect with the best version of an already great battle system and (finally) enough difficulty to make things interesting.  Yeah, the story was cliche, but if I didn't play games just because they had cliche stories, I would miss out on a lot of great games.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 06:41:40 PM »

Actually, I could care less about story. I value characters above all else... over-complex stories often ruin great games. That's why I'm not into stuff like Xenogears or Chrono Chross.

I would agree that G3 has great gameplay... and the com circle instead of the bar definitely raises it a little over G2, but not enough. G2s battle system was only slightly behind G3s, but its characters and dialog were a good magnitude better.

I'd have liked G3 better if it didn't take its story too seriously. But how it was, the story is kinda hard to ignore, even if you're playing for gameplay reasons, because its so in-your-face all the time. I was just feeling like, "shut up and let me play, god damnit!"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 11:52:20 PM »

I agree... and tend to respect GameRanking's scores a bit better (has GameRankings ever pulled scores from RPGFan?) As someone who spends most of their time at Slashdot.org, which consists, mainly, of replies to articles, I sorta wish this site had commentary sections for each game or review. For one thing, if you notice, a lot of our opinions on particular games leak out into other, more over-arching discussions in the forums, possibly because of the lack of anywhere else to post these things?

Regarding the "high" scores. Our grading, in all honestly, does very much reflect the "grade-inflation" culture of our time. Where I grew up, from K to 12 and even in to college, "B" was average, "B-" was risking it, and "C" was practically unacceptable. Teachers bow down to the pressure of parents, and grades rise. (see Peter Sacks' "Generation X Goes To College" to read more about grade inflation).

Our grading scale claims the usual A = great, B = good, C = average, but there's no denying that some reviewers will hold B to average, 90-93% as good, and 94% and above as great.

Regarding having reader comments below reviews...it's something we could easily incorporate, but there are plenty of reasons to shy away from it. One reason is that, as evidenced by most sites that allow user feedback, knee-jerk reactions by extreme lovers (and haters) of such a game turn the feedback area into a flamebait riot. That's the last thing I want to see under a fairly well-reasoned and well-said review. To take the time to bring the review up in a separate message board post shows you care enough about the topic to bring it up, and it gives a little more safety that your typical moron fanboy doesn't come and ruin the whole thread with mindless ranting.

That said, I appreciate your post very much, Prime. Some people tend to give higher scores than others. I am prone to giving high scores myself, though I attempt to balance this by flat-out failing games that I see few redeeming qualities in.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:02:14 AM »

Admittedly, people can just blow off and ignore the stupid comments, and judging by what people like Ash have said, they'll simply go to emailing the reviewer bitching about the score. That might arguably be worse (for the reviewer), as their inbox is being stuffed with the blathering of stupid (anti) fanboys/girls, rather than in the easily ignored comments section of a review.

Not that that will necessarily stop them, they jsut might feel that they have to get personal.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »

I would agree that G3 has great gameplay... and the com circle instead of the bar definitely raises it a little over G2, but not enough. G2s battle system was only slightly behind G3s, but its characters and dialog were a good magnitude better

I agree that G3's battle system wasn't much better than G2's, but for me the big difference was with the difficulty levels.  I thought battles in G3 were much more interesting simply because the game had a decent level of difficulty throughout (sprinkled with the occasional hard battle that gave you a run for your money) whereas with G2, everything was really easy.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
I agree that G3's battle system wasn't much better than G2's, but for me the big difference was with the difficulty levels.  I thought battles in G3 were much more interesting simply because the game had a decent level of difficulty throughout (sprinkled with the occasional hard battle that gave you a run for your money) whereas with G2, everything was really easy.

Oh, I totally agree... however, I hardly ever play RPGs for the challenge, as long as the battles keep me coming back for more, and moving forward, that's all I really need. I know some people love to challenge themselves, I don't, really. The bottom line is, I had a lot of fun with the G2 battle system, regardless of its difficulty level. I also had a lot of fun with the G3 battle system, I just didn't have any fun when I wasn't in battle.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: