Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:12:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319265 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Tips on how to fight burnout?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tips on how to fight burnout?  (Read 2845 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »

I'm burnt out.  I know there has been discussion about RPG burnout and this isn't the same burnout I'm talking about.  I have 2 more semesters left of college (including this one) and I am completely burnt out on studying.  For a lot of my friends, this is not a problem because they don't really have anything tough going on in their classes anymore.  However this semester is probably my biggest workload and most tough class wise to date but I cannot bring myself to study or read anything anymore.  In previous years, I would be able to do the assignment for one class, take a small break, then start on another assignment.  Now, I'm lucky if I get one chapter read per day.  Every time I pick up a book to start studying for class, I cannot keep focused anymore on that subject.  Hell, I stopped reading a book to type this post because it has been on my mind for a month or so.  This has become a huge problem for me because I could possibly fail two of my courses if I don't stop fucking up.  If my school didn't suck, this wouldn't be too bad as I could possibly re take the course in the summer or in the fall, but they don't offer it again until the spring (pushing back my graduation date, which I don't want to do)

Anyone have any tips?  I ask here because I know some of you guys are pursuing your masters or in some cases your doctorate.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »

The only advice I can give you my friend, is, whatever you do, do not take any time off. When working on my PhD and feeling burnt out, I took time off. Suffice it to say, Ive not gone back.

Just think of it this way: if you dont finish, what are you going to do with your life?

JP
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:24:45 AM »

When I burn out, it's because work has become so overwhelming that I've completely lost my perspective. You need to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation you're in. What's your goal in life? What's your reason for going to school, and why is it better than the alternatives? What's going to happen if you don't finish? Just make sure to look at the big picture, keeping things like buying a house, a car, etc.. in mind.

Once you've answered those questions, everything should be clear.

That said, doing this made me decide not to pursue graduate school, so your mileage may vary.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:56:46 AM »

Man, when studying, I not only burn out, I crash and burn. I've had nothing but As and Bs for like five semesters (only one B-) and now I'm getting like..a  Csomething in physics. Then again I went five-six straight semesters, most of them full. I so need a semester off, especially when I need physics grades a whole lot better than that.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 03:37:11 AM »

Keep going man, I spent like the last year and a half of my graduate degree burned out.   As long as you balance your goofing off time and your scholastic necessities that should help you pursue your final months.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:28:30 AM »

Yeah, I'm starting to feel the same way. I pulled a 4.0 last semester and I could do the same again, but I just don't feel nearly as committed to my homework this semester.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Aelph

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:28:49 AM »

God, do I know how you feel. I'm in my last term at university, I've got my biggest workload ever, and... I found myself spending most of February and March not doing a damn thing, because, well, why bother? What's the point? Etc. Reconsidering going to grad school next year, even though I've been selected for one of the best programs in the world in my field, wondering if I should even bother to get up in the morning when there's nothing but tedious books and papers to look forward to... yeah, so much fun.

I'm getting back on track a bit now (although to be honest, I'm supposed to be working on an essay, and I'm here instead), and I've found that working in very small increments can help: do an hour or two of work, then go do something else for awhile. I think most of the 'burn out' for me comes from feeling like I've got a constant pressure on me, so I'm trying to convince myself that taking a bit of time off -- just a bit, mind you -- isn't going to make or break my average. It's slowly sinking in. Spending an hour reading a book that I want to read (something way too many university students never do), playing a game, going for a walk... it does help. Helps me, at least.  

Do you have anything planned for post-graduation? Having something to look forward to can help, as well; it puts the tedium in perspective. I've got a big trip planned for next month, between the end of term and exams, and when I'm not working, I plan that, which is a lot more fun and lot more invigorating; it wakes me up a bit.

And now it's back to that essay. Consider me re-invigorated courtesy of RPGFan. ;-)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  

Quote from: "jphussey"
The only advice I can give you my friend, is, whatever you do, do not take any time off. When working on my PhD and feeling burnt out, I took time off. Suffice it to say, Ive not gone back.

Just think of it this way: if you dont finish, what are you going to do with your life?

I agree.  Taking time off would be counter productive.  I don't plan on quitting since It's just one more semester after this one and it's looking to be like a fairly easy next and hopefully final semester.  

Quote from: "Morwan"
When I burn out, it's because work has become so overwhelming that I've completely lost my perspective. You need to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation you're in. What's your goal in life? What's your reason for going to school, and why is it better than the alternatives? What's going to happen if you don't finish? Just make sure to look at the big picture, keeping things like buying a house, a car, etc.. in mind.

Once you've answered those questions, everything should be clear.

That said, doing this made me decide not to pursue graduate school, so your mileage may vary.

Work has indeed been quite overwhelming to me.  It feels like once I get caught up in one subject, I am behind in another one.  I attribute this to the burnout as well.  I agree with Aelph in that a goal or motivation would help things, but right now I don't have any goals that wouldn't require a hell of a lot more studying to pass a certification exam after I graduate.  I know bad things would happen if I didn't graduate and I wouldn't want to waste all the time and money I've invested this far so it's definitely onward in some way.

I definitely don't think I could do graduate school anymore either.  Initially I thought that it was a great idea.  I could make more money, have a better job, etc.  When I think of it now, it just doesn't seem worth it, unless somehow I don't go for a couple years and my employer pays for me to go.

Quote from: "kyuusei"
Man, when studying, I not only burn out, I crash and burn. I've had nothing but As and Bs for like five semesters (only one B-) and now I'm getting like..a Csomething in physics. Then again I went five-six straight semesters, most of them full. I so need a semester off, especially when I need physics grades a whole lot better than that.

I'm hoping so hard for a C in the two classes I'm doing horrible in.  B is a possibility but I'd sure have to do really well on the next test and hope there is some sort of end of the semester curve for attendance or something.  I'm just glad I'm not taking any summer courses (can't really do that anyway unless I was taking them at a bigger school).

Quote from: "Ryos"
Keep going man, I spent like the last year and a half of my graduate degree burned out. As long as you balance your goofing off time and your scholastic necessities that should help you pursue your final months.

Definitely.  I'm trying to limit video games to weekends.  We'll see how that helps.  Might try to exercise more, but I've been feeling particularly lazy about doing that lately.

Quote from: "Aelph"
I've found that working in very small increments can help: do an hour or two of work, then go do something else for awhile. I think most of the 'burn out' for me comes from feeling like I've got a constant pressure on me, so I'm trying to convince myself that taking a bit of time off -- just a bit, mind you -- isn't going to make or break my average.

That's what I used to do and it worked well.  I still try to do that but often the "little break" turns into a bigger break than it should be.  Maybe I should plan something for the summer to look forward to as well.  My sister really wants me to get an internship down in NC where she lives.  She's been sending me internship postings to my email from down there.  Maybe I should take the hint.  It'd be nice to live in a warm climate for the summer.  Probably too late to get an internship though >.>

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 04:29:50 PM »

Oh, I got burnt out my Junior year of college.  Actually I had more of a nervous breakdown.  Whenever I tried to study or even looked at a textbook, I would cry.  I would just breakdown sobbing.  I did well enough at the beginning of the semester that I could get away with no studying, just crying.  I learned I was pushing myself way too hard and studying way too much.  The following semester I took many electives like tap dancing, weight training, and bowling.  I also didn't study as much and I rebounded emotionally as well as in my grades.  Hang in there.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »

Play more video games... worked for me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 07:33:23 PM »

I had to take a semester off.  After seven years of fucking around in college, it got to the point where I couldn't even drag myself out of bed to go.  And this was my last semester, too.  I couldn't even force myself to stick out the last fucking one.  This was the spring semester, so I stopped in late January and went back to finish up over the summer.  It wasn't much of a break, but it was enough to put things back in the proper perspective.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 10:45:01 PM »

I'm scared of taking time off, otherwise it might take me another 6 years to go back :P But when I get to UBC, literally nothing in my major is offered in the summer anyway, hopefully I won't be burnt out then.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: