Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 01:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334642 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XII question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII question  (Read 1035 times)
Lockhart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »

This is my first post here so I'm sorry its nothing exciting...just a question for those who have finished FF XII.  I am 20 hours into the game and so far I've been trying to complete everything 100% but sometimes that makes an RPG feel like all work and no play.  I was thinking maybe I'll just focus on getting every esper, uncovering all the licenses for each character, and completing every hunt.  I plan to skip all the other side quests and optional things unless I come across something I really want to do.  

I have heard that there is no way to earn an alternate ending, but if I don't complete everything, is there anything I'll be missing out on?  Was there anything in this game you worked too hard for that didn't pay off, or anything that you thought was a waste of time that ended up being worth the trouble?  I just don't want to miss anything.  This is actually my first Final Fantasy game to play since FFIX so I'm trying to have as much fun with this as I can.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:33:10 PM »

Woah... do you realize what you're getting into? FF12 clocked in at about 120 hours for me, and I didn't even come close to doing all the hunts, all the espers, and the sidequests. I probably did a good 2/3rds of the hunts and espers, and about 3/4rs of the sidequests. But the final hunts and sidequests are so tedious, that it would have probably added an extra 30 hours on to do them all.

First time through, I wouldn't worry about getting 100%... or anywhere close. FF12 is a HUGE GAME, with or without the extras. I'd just concentrate on enjoying yourself, because it's going to be a long haul either way. I have a friend who logged on over 200 hours and still hasn't done everything. And both of us were using the strategy guide liberaly.

This is NOT Final Fantasy IX. It's about 2-3 times as long, a good 3-4 times harder, and the side quests are enormous. To top it off, money is extremely scarce, and it's going to be a good feat, in of itself, to get as much money as you'll want to have.

This is a game to make completionists cry out in pain. The completionist inside me died a little, and I just said, "to hell with getting everything." I'd do the same, if I were you. On your first play through, don't worry about completing ANYTHING. Maybe the license grid... that's not hard to do (I didn't, myself, but I had every square for at least one person). Most of the espers aren't bad, but for some of the later ones you have to do a lot of shit to be able to get to them. And honestly, in terms of gameplay, the espers are completely worthless.

Strap yourself in, and be prepared for a really good game, but an incredibly long one, no matter what you do.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lockhart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »

Thanks, that was a very good answer.  I can tell you know much about FFXII, so I think I will just focus on playing through and having fun.  I’ll skip the optional quests that don’t appeal to me and just complete the ones that I enjoy…I really didn’t grasp just how complex this game is.  And thanks for not giving spoilers, I have run into more than enough of those for this game already.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »

Eh, dont worry too much about spoilers here.

People that spoil games are usually dealt with by the masses.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: