Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 03:09:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335193 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why not: all time favourite RPG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Why not: all time favourite RPG  (Read 11764 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:26:11 AM »

Its rarely asked here, maybe because the question is so common (or at least its common when forums first open).

Whats the one game that makes you feel good all over for whatever it offers and that you can replay from time to time again?  Despite a few flaws, you seem to overlook them because everything else is pretty tip-top.

Please, some reasons too!

I'm personally pretty keen of Tales of Symphonia.  God knows why, but theres jus so much to do, and so many ways to do it.  The battles are fun, the game is hard, the graphics and music (though not astounding) are pleasing to the eyes and ears.  I can't get sick of it either, oddly enough (to even the damn redundant sewer dungeon).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »

Suikoden II.

Great story, relatively nice visuals, fantastic soundtrack, great battle system, memorable characters and a special bonus with your save from Suiko 1.

Hands down, my favourite RPG.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »

Playing "doctor" with Ramza.

Oh.

You mean THAT kind of RPG.

Probably Chrono Trigger.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »

Shining Force II, Phantasy Star IV, and Valkyrie Profile.

Yes, to Canadians the number 1 IS = to the number 3.

Anyway, I have cleared through all of them endless times and could do so again.  I'm /somewhat/ playing PSIV right now actually.  ...Save WoW is eating all that time.  :P

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:43:17 AM »

DDS 1 & 2, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IX, Golden Sun 1 and 2.

DDS has the most original storyline in any rpg i've ever played, SoM is just very, very good in all aspects, FF 9 is better than most ffs, and Golden Sun is probably one of the best rpgs on the gba.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:43 PM »

Fallout 2.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »

Okay, this one is hard. I'm going to have to make a distinction between console and PC rpgs here.

For consoles it's without a doubt Chrono Trigger. Or maybe Xenogears... No, CT. Though I always let those two share the number 1 spot. Chrono Trigger remains one of the finest examples of JPRGs with everything from the setting (specifically the way you got to travel between very different time periods, in effect making the game both a fantasy and a sci-fi RPG and everything in between) to the music (I insist that the CT soundtrack is Mitsuda's finest offering to date) and the battle system flawlessly executed. Add in the fact that it had a time traveling story that actually works without having too many plots and that you could finish the game in a ridiculous number of ways and you have an instant classic.

For the PC it's Planescape: Torment. If you've played the game you'll know why. Its equal will never be produced.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:34:30 PM »

Final Fantasy II (IV)
Yuki.N

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 12:34:41 PM »

For me, it would probably come down to Xenogears or Suikoden V. I only started playing Suikoden II though, and I've heard many good things about it, so I'll wait and see what happens as I progress through the game.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »

Final Fantasy IV (Initially II) remains my personal favorite. It was the first RPG I have, and despite playing many great ones, I have a special place for this game in my heart.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »

It will always be Chrono Trigger.

I remember I rented it because the box looked cool. I made it to the fight with Magus before I had to return the game. I thought this was the end of the game. Around that time, I wasn't familiar with the term "RPG" and how long they typically were. I just thought it was another game and at the time Magus seemed like an end boss to me. When I beat him and the game didn't end, I was really shocked. And there was still tons of things left for me to do.

I ended up "losing" the game and never returned it to the store. I still have the free poster that came with the rental. There's a mistake on it too. It shows Marle casting Fire Sword on Crono.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

Hmm, this is tough. I always class Suikoden I & II to be so closely related that they may as well be the same game, so that's one.

CT and Xenogears, some of the finest visuals, music, characters and story seen in their respective generations.

Final Fantasy Tactics. Although the translation sucks, the game itself more than makes up for it.

Phantasy Star I, II & IV. Could 8- and 16-BIT Sega RPGs get much better than this?

Grandia II. Finest real-time battle system ever.

Tales of Symphonia. Loved it. Can't put my finger on why. Has my all-time favourite setting in any RPG, Flanoir, the ice city.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. Years ahead of its time. Desperately in need of an RPG sequel.

Dragon Force. Pure strategy. Great characters. Immense replay value.

Shining Force III. The whole freaking lot of it. All 90-odd hours worth. All three scenarios and the Premium Disk. Despite having two thirds of the game in Japanese, I think I would have to say that this is my favourite RPG. I can play it and play it, and it never gets old! Legalize Freedom and the team at Shining Force Central, please hurry up with the translation patch!

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »

You lose at couting, Gately.....unless you're like.....some sort of "Super" Canadian.

Mine?

Genso Suikoden II of course!

Perfection.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 03:25:23 PM »

Baldur's Gate II on PCs, and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on consoles.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
You lose at couting, Gately.....unless you're like.....some sort of "Super" Canadian.

For clarification, my all time favourite goes to Shining Force III, the others I listed were kinda 'honourable mentions'! :P

And Canadian? Since when was the Isle of Wight in Canada? Did they invade or something? :S

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: